Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

So it's been 7 days and his limp out of 10 being the worst it's now a 0-2. He limps sometime but not all the time and its not very bad. He seems to limp after playing also we have not been able to keep him rested 100% of the time probably 50% rest and the other playing with his bro. I think he may have been fully healed had we kennelled him for 4 days straight but it was hard cause we were moving at he same time as well.
I would like to hear opinions on this and if you think it's normal progression?

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
When he was younger, Chance did have a bit of a limp a few times after rough-housing with another dog or going for a long hike. It often wouldn't manifest while walking or playing, but after he was done and had to ride in the car to get home. Then, I think, it's like an athlete that didn't warm up properly and then contorted himself after his workout... his muscles would get stiff and he'd limp around for a few days.

I would keep an eye on it, check his feet to make sure there isn't anything on the foot pads/between the toes. If that's clear, then it's likely muscle stiffness.

Chance's limp eventually went away and we haven't seen a re-occurrence in quite some time. He's also been to the vet for his annual and all parts were in working order.... for whatever my experience is worth!

I should say that I think 7 days is kind of on the long side for limping around so make sure to look at his foot and try to determine whether it is exacerbated by playing or whether it just isn't going away/getting better.

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Awwww poor Bongo. 7 days does seem like a while but Penelope has, a couple months ago, limped on and off for 5 days. The vet explained that a bruise or sprain, just like with a person, will loosen up with movement but be at it's worse right after sleep, when it's stiff. He said a serious injury, such as knee or ligament, would not improve and would get worse with movement. It sounds like he's on the mend. It was difficult to keep Penny from playing while she was hurt too and we only have one dog. Poor Louie must feel like he's missing out too. Hope you didn't get too wet moving!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It will take longer to heal if he is playing. My thoughts are since it has improved and NOT gotten worse..I would think its a sprain or the like. It's pretty important he not reinjure it no matter what its best to get him as calm as possible. If he shows pain or it persists...take him in.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman has been limping and I took him to the vet to get xrays just week before last - there was nothing irregular. After a few days it went away. So it was probably just a sprain.

My breeder told me that the larger males do go through bouts of limping as they grow. How old is he?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he is still limping and no improvement I would have been to the vet, but since he is improving I would continue to rest and limit any running/jumping/playing..... if it returns get the vet to check him out. It sounds more like a sprain or pulled muscle

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
If he is still limping and no improvement I would have been to the vet, but since he is improving I would continue to rest and limit any running/jumping/playing..... if it returns get the vet to check him out. It sounds more like a sprain or pulled muscle

Bongo is doing great now no more limping and he's running and playing and doing well. Thanks for every bodies help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
thanks,
Frank, Bongo & Louie

Most Reactions