Help Needed! Cracks or cuts on paw pads

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Hello again from the New Zealand newbie, stooge has surprised her mum again with a new worry - cracks or cuts on her paw pads. I have tried searching on forums to find advice on how to treat and prevent but is proving difficult.

I'm not sure if I should worry about them too much at this stage and am unsure if they are cracks or cuts so I have enclosed some photos. It's only on her front paws - her back ones seem fine. Stooge is only one so is still young.

Any links to previous discussions, tips or advice on treatment/home remedies or prevention would be much appreciated!!

photo (5).jpgphoto (6).jpgphoto (8).jpg

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Paw Wax. Like Shaws or Mushers. It protects against cold, moisture, and where I live HEAT ;) Alabama summers are cruel on little piggies...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Paw Wax. Like Shaws or Mushers. It protects against cold, moisture, and where I live HEAT ;) Alabama summers are cruel on little piggies...

Yes! Also aquaphor works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mushers Secret... does a real good job of soothing and protecting the pad

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: dermapaw is awesome for that an you can buy their socks that have elastic strips to help them stay on you can go to their website to check it out

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My Wilson gets calluses just like that and someone if I'm not paying attention for a while they get real hard on the sides. I finally broke down not too long ago and bought some Mushers Secret (thanks to [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] recommendation). The stuff is amazing and does't leave a film or makes on my floors. Now that reminds me I need to check his feet again.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Also some oils internally could be beneficial. Salmon-, Flaxseed-, Coconut- or even Emu oil...

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
hmm i've been wondering about this also...would a regular lotion work? or does it have to be product like aquaphor?

Regular lotion may work? As long as its not too watery, so it coats well. And if you have a sensitive skin bully- no harsh added scents or dyes. Something like Nivea cream in the tin or Carmex (yes Carmex makes a hand lotion and its the best thing ever invented!)

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
We use Bag Balm on ours to keep their pads moisturized. It's getting cold quick, so we'll be using it more....

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
Regular lotion may work? As long as its not too watery, so it coats well. And if you have a sensitive skin bully- no harsh added scents or dyes. Something like Nivea cream in the tin or Carmex (yes Carmex makes a hand lotion and its the best thing ever invented!)

wonderful...thank you very much

OP
Stooge

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Thank you all for the ideas! Going to give my own little mixture a go as I have searched for the brands mentioned above and would have to order from over seas ($$$!!). Here is what I have thrown in: Coconut oil (mostly), Nourish skin oil (avocado oil, rose hip oil, evening primrose oil...) QV dry sensitive skin cream and a bit of egoderm cream.... will see how that goes :p looks balm-like and smells amazing!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online