URGENT!!! Urinary Tract Infection??!

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
Hi guys, its us again...

Things don't seem to be looking up for us lately..:( Please keep us in your prayers as thiings just seem to be getting bad to worse...

So for those who saw my other post about our allergies to Kimbo know that we've been going through s stressful time lately. The allergies have gotten pretty bad for me..My eyes had swollen shut the other day and I couldn't breathe...Had to go to the doctors:crying:I know he realized what happened...I can't help not being able to cuddle with him long so I took the risk..I cried and he knew I was heartbroken:crying:

So now we are facing yet another mishap....Kimbo seems to have a UTI....We took him out for a walk yesterday and noticed that every 2 min he stopped to pee...The problem was he was having a hard time. He would position himself and wait for almost 3 min with little or no pee. He gets plenty of water but doesn't seem to be peeing it out.

My husband stopped by the house today during lunch and noticed Kimbo peed in his crate (The door is always open so he goes in and out as he pleases). This hasn't happend for a long time and he also mentioned a really fowl smell to the urine:confused:

Anyone have any remedies they can suggest before I bring him to the vet? I know they'll prescribe antibiotics but I'd love to try out any natural cures first.

Last edited:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
It sounds like a pretty severe infection at this point. I'd go to the vet. You don't want him to end up with kidney problems, IVs and all that stuff.

Cranberry juice or tablets may help but that's more of a preventive than a cure. What's he eating? Even if it's good stuff it might not be right for him and could be causing problems. Look at everything he eats, not just his main food.
None of my guys have had UTDs so I don't have much to offer.

As to your allergies, are you taking antihistamines every day? That's probably a must for you and whatever you're taking may not be strong enough for the situation. If the doc didn't prescribe one for you, you may need to go that route. You may occasionally need a decongestant as well. You can still get Psuedophedrine HCL but you have to get it from the druggist They keep it behind the counter and you have to show id and sign for it but no script is needed. Walgreens has a house brand that's way less expensive. I use their Wal-phed which is a combo antihistemine / decongestant that works well for me. Don't bother with the decongestant sold in the isles. It's not wort the box it's packaged in if you have strong allergies.

I just looked at your profile. If you're still feeding Royal Canine, it's time to switch to a grain free. The worst reaction I've ever seen to a dog food was to Royal Canine Bulldog. there are many better rated brands out there with similar prices to RC. You can look at the lists on this board and then go to either the manufacturer's page or your preferred pet store's page and read what's in them and compare.

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

I'm afraid the best thing in this case is antibiotics....but there are lots if things you can try to help prevent a recurrence when it's gone.
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] uses cranberry capsules....good for prevention of urine infections...and I'm sure others have mention Apple Cider Vinegar...added to water helps too

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im not much help with this but let me tag some peeps who maybe able to help you. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Take him to the vet asap, pls. That sounds more like his has an obstruction in his urinary tract. English bulldogs can have a defected gene that makes them prone to develope bladder stones and if he is obstructed it can be life threatening condition. My Usko has this defected gene and we found out the hard way, he had an emergency surgery to remove them last year and the symptoms sound the same. You can google Canine hyperuricosuria for more information. If he has that condition cranberry will not work, quite the opposite. He can have both, UTI and stones, like Usko had last year. They first flushed the stones back to his bladder, but they could of gone back to the urinaryy tract any time, so hee needed surgery. If a dog can't pee he can get uremia.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
That behavoir sounds like he's in pain, and he needs your help right away. The good news is that you spotted this and can get him checked out. If there are stones, they need to be diagnosed as some kinds respond differently than others. Good luck with everything!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've received some good advice.... antibiotics will clear it up and then once gone you can prevent with the right (better) food and use of ACV or cranberry pills.

Banks suffered from these all the time until we had to have a surgery done, which finally stopped them from happening -- her issue will NOT be Kimbo's as it was related to her girlie parts, but the cranberry and ACV really did help slow the re-occurrence between flair ups.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have nothing to add other than please get him to the doctor as soon as you can. Of all the things you posted the thing that worries me the most is the smell of his urine. If a UTI goes untreated long enough it can lead to kidney problems.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're having so many problems. It certainly sounds like a UTI , and since its smelly, antibiotics are the only thing that will clear it up at this point. After its clear you can use preventative supplements like cranberry pills, and Apple Cider Vinegar.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would take him to the vet asap. My Stig had uti earlier in the year. It scared us because he was being bright red blood. We like to follow natural remedies as well, but like everyone said, it may travel to the kidneys. After 4 days of antibiotics and another urinalysis, Stiggy was back to his old self.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online