General Question Bogey's Homecoming delayed

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
:cry:
Just talked to my breeder and Bogey's stool tested positive for Coccidia.:cry: He is being treated and will go back to the Vet Thursday for clearance. I am so sad!! I know its just another day, but we were soooo anxious to get him.
Now, all you experianced moms and dads out there- I am told this is commom, and it is a one time treatment. Does this sound right? I have an appt with my vet on Friday, should I bring a stool specimen even if the one the breeder gets thursday is clear?
Would love some advice!!
Thanks
PS: she had done 2 previous stools at 4 and 6 weeks and they were negative.

sigh!!:nope:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm not sure perhaps [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1189]Sherri[/MENTION] could help you in the department of puppy illnesses, I'm sure you can't wait to get that cute little guy home. Enjoy your last night or two of sleep :-)

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Coccidiosis isn't terribly common, but not terribly rare either. It can take a while to clear up and it hard on animals, imagine a horrific stomach bug, but curable with no lasting effects. It sounds like it was caught early and treated. How long before a clean stool sample, I don't know. My boxer had coccidiosis but she was in Quarantine in Hawaii at the time, being treated by their vet. I have had it in my cattle growing up. The best thing to do is to talk to your vet about methods of treatment as well as all the 'ins and outs' of coccidiosis and what to expect and projected timeline.

Your baby should sail through this with flying colours and you will be snuggling soon.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Coccidia happens all the time in young pups. It may take more than one hit of antibiotics though. He'll have the runs with it. I would take a stool sample with you if for no other reason than the stress of changing homes weakens the immune system and that cause cause the little buggers to multiply more freely than they woruld do otherwise. Make sure you have pumpkin on hand too. He'll be fine. I'd take those cute soft toys up until yoou know he's clear too. You don't want to be cleaning poop off them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A day delay seems like an eternety but at least you know the issue is being addressed.... it is very common in puppies, but I would bring a sample to you vet just as a precaution to make sure he was treated and on the road to recovery

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
:cry:
Just talked to my breeder and Bogey's stool tested positive for Coccidia.:cry: He is being treated and will go back to the Vet Thursday for clearance. I am so sad!! I know its just another day, but we were soooo anxious to get him.
Now, all you experianced moms and dads out there- I am told this is commom, and it is a one time treatment. Does this sound right? I have an appt with my vet on Friday, should I bring a stool specimen even if the one the breeder gets thursday is clear?
Would love some advice!!
Thanks
PS: she had done 2 previous stools at 4 and 6 weeks and they were negative.

sigh!!:nope:

Yes, its common. Hermie had it when I got him from the breeder - it came up on his initial vet visit. I didnt even have to go through the vets treatment (which was 14 days). His breeder gave me a 3 day treatment that cleared it right up (she wanted to treat him instead of the vet). But yes, bring a stool sample for your own vet to check.

I know you cant wait until he is home :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like you have been given great advice already and I just wanted to give you a hug and say Bogey will be with you soon and everything is going to be just fine, hang in there!:assurred:

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
THANK YOU all so much!! I know he will be ok, and I will bring my own stool sample ( truly, I mean the PUP's:ashamed:) to my own vet just to be on the safe side! You have all put my mind at ease!! Just love this site! Wished I had one like this when I had my bullmastiffs!! Who knew????:confused:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw youve been given good advice so ill just say youll be hugging him in no time and he will be well soon :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well at least they found it know and are treating it, so you don't have a sick pups to bring home. Once it is treated your pup should be fine as his immune system should build up an immunity to it for the future. This is why most adult dogs or cats will not get it unless their immune system is compromised. I know one or two days seem like an eternity, but it will be over before you know it and you will have your healthy baby home with you.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hang in there he'll be home before you know it, at least he's being treated for it , and is on the mend. It's hard to wait, especially when the day is he re and then it didn't workout. I'm sorry you have to wait, but at least it's only one day, and then he'll be home to snuggle and enjoy. Keep us posted on how he's doing with his treatment. When you get him home give him plain yogurt on his food for the probiotics, especially since he's on antibiotics, as well as add Apple cider vinegar to his drinking water , it will boost his immune system, and it also kills Bacteria, it's also good for inflammation and joints.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola had it and it was a 10 day treatment that cleared it up. Warning though the meds cause the pup to have the runs and Im talking like water so have lots of paper towels and cleaning solution ready! Oh and hugging and snuggling cures it to:D

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Just being in a new environment could cause runny poop. I remember when Wilson and his sister Snowflake as puppies had very loose stools. Oh My Dog! It surely had me busy cleaning up after them. It did eventually resolve.:whew:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online