Help Needed! Any Nail Trimming Advice? Please!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka has always hated having his nails trimmed. I can maybe do 1/ day which makes for a constant and tedious process. He bites, growls and runs away... It is terrible for all involved. I can play with his feet all I want, I rub baby powder and cream between his tows with no issues! But the clippers or a dremmel is an instant no go. Does anybody have any tricks that you think may help us out? Thanks!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Does Tonka do that same behavior when you take him to the groomer? I find that putting my dogs up on a table makes them stand still and let me do their nails, they will fight it any other place but once on a grooming table they stop fighting and let me get things done (I don't have an actual grooming table yet, I stand them on a slip proof rug on my dryer right now).

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Tonka has always hated having his nails trimmed. I can maybe do 1/ day which makes for a constant and tedious process. He bites, growls and runs away... It is terrible for all involved. I can play with his feet all I want, I rub baby powder and cream between his tows with no issues! But the clippers or a dremmel is an instant no go. Does anybody have any tricks that you think may help us out? Thanks!

What helped me was 1) Herman getting older and 2) getting a good pair of clippers. I got the Millers Forge large clippers. They clip really fast and clean unlike some of the others I had. I'm able to get them done while we're outside and he's sunbathing - so maybe a change of scenery with Tonka might help :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have some wonderful tips and tricks that have helped me tremdenously with Wilson and Emma. I also go my other dog Jack's nails too. I've done all my guys for years and athough they don't necessary all like it they all tolerate it well. Wilson falls asleep on his back actually, he's so funny. Even when I stop he's still sleeping. I'll come back here tomorrow and give you my advice but in the meantine, here's a wonderful article I prepped.

Nail Clipping/Dremel - What you need to know

Here's a video I did with Emma earlier this summer. She was about 8 months there and still squirmy. I've been meaning to video Wilson but keep forgetting.

Emma's nail trim with clippers and dremel

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.