Help Needed! Start of tail pocket problems

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later for Mac. It looks like he may have potential to get some nasty infections going on under that tail. I always clean out his bottom with wipes but looks like i'll have to switch to a drying agent. I just cleaned it out because he was scooting and that's something he never ever does. Worst smell ever and raw as heck. I've been so busy going back to work after our move that I've obviously neglected his little tushie. He's resting better now and stopped scooting after I gave it a thorough cleaning, dried it with alcohol (only thing I had) and put his Desitin in. He REALLY enjoyed his Desitin on a q-tip might I add. I'll keep on it all weekend and set up a schedule for a nightly ritual and hopefully we can remember to stick with it. Even if I have to add it to my phone calendar I will. Questions: which is better to dry it out, rubbing alcohol or witch hazel? Which medicated pads are best for those tail pockets? I don't need them for their ropes, destin keeps them beautifully dry and clean. I just don't want it to get bad so hopefully I can figure out how to maintain it. Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
personally i love duoxo pads for tail pockets that are having problems then dry it out then desitin. i use duoxo pads then lotrimin powder but some dont like to use powder there.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
personally i love duoxo for tail pockets that are having problems then dry it out then desitin. i use duoxo pads then lotrimin powder but some dont like to use powder there.

^^^^^
Agreed, and we love Desitin at my house

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We bathe our babies usually every Sunday, but I clean their eyes, ears, nose ropes and butts with baby wipes twice a week. They've never had any problems in the butt area, it's clean, and no smell. My question is does this become a problem later? They are both 9 months old. If they have this problem, is it when they are older, and I have this to look forward to, and something I should be watching for? Or if its a problem is it a problem right from the beginning? Is it something I can avoid by being consistent with the current cleaning I'm doing now?.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we have had issues with Banks tail since she was a pup... our vet taught us how to keep her clean because the alternative was removing it, which we all did not want to do. she is now 7 and still has her cute little tail.

here is what we do/use:

witch hazel at least once a week
unscented baby wipes after every poo or if we notice a need (smell or how she is not sitting normal)
when she does get irritated - red/raw.... we use Tresedrem onitment or desitin to help

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
personally i love duoxo pads for tail pockets that are having problems then dry it out then desitin. i use duoxo pads then lotrimin powder but some dont like to use powder there.

I use the Duoxo pads too.

For a time, I was cleaning out with Malaket wipes and then "shooting" some lotrimin powder in there with a picnic ketchup style bottle with the tip cut off. The first handful of times I shot air and powder into that tail pocket, it was like I'd hooked Bea up to a 12 Volt Battery. ZAP!!! She'd JUMP UP in the air...presumably to get away from that evil ketchup bottle. After the first few times had to "sneak" that bottle out because if Bea saw it, she'd run like hell and worse, she ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to hold still for these treatments FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME. I gave up.

It's Duoxo shampoo at least once a month -- usually twice -- and Duoxo pads in between tub times. Works great.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Our foster bully, Meatball, has a tail pocket and every night I get a makeup pad and wet it with witch hazel. We haven't had a problem with it being smelly, dirty, or irritated. He like when we clean his tail pocket - but hates when we clean his nose rope... sigh

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
UPDATE: So his tail seemed a bit better last night and without as much of the smell when I cleaned it out last night. I got the witch hazel and used that instead of rubbing alcohol and he liked that LOTS more. I wiped it out then put the witch hazel in. I decided to use some neosporin instead of the destin just for the night though. How many of you use neosporin or something similar when it's a little raw and then switch to desitin to keep it dry?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I use the witch hazel pads ... they are already soaked in witch hazel. I also use neosporin when something is looking red or sore.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online