Help Needed! Charlotte's allergic reaction..

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Hey Guys,
Some of you might remember I tried to switch Charlotte to Fromm Salmon a la veg...she started burping a lot, licking the air, licking her front left paw obsessively, and a little sore developed on her belly..so I assumed a food allergy. I switched her to Beef Frittata, and nothing really improved, so I switched her back to her original Pork and Applesauce, which she had none of these symptoms on.

Since swiching back to the Pork (approx 1 week) She's stopped burping and licking the air, and no new sores have developed. She's stopped obsessively licking her foot, but she still occasionally licks at the part she licked raw.
The sore she has has scabbed over, should I just leave it alone then?
As for the paw, it seems that it's gotten so irritated that she broke the skin, which you can see in the middle of the red-swollen part.

I took pictures of both:

DSC_0061.jpgDSC_0062.jpgDSC_0063.jpgDSC_0064.jpgDSC_0068.jpg

I was planning on making a vet appointment, but I thought if anyone had any home remedies or experience we could try first, I'd appreciate it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it were me? I'd put some hydrogen peroxide on the foot twice a day, morning and night. and the spot? something that will dry it out. nothing greasy

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I wish I had some advice but just wanted to say I hope she gets better soon!

RedmondLiving

Jul 8, 2012
Redmond WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I've used a product called VETERICYN - it's for wound & infeciton such as hot spots, rashes etc. I've been using it on Bella on her front paws, because she licks so much, she get's down to skin. It's a spray and it's quick to get on & doesn't seem to sting or burn. It really has helped keep the hairless paws from getting infected or even getting red. I'm sure you can do a quick search on line for it by name and find a pet store that has it in stock. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If it were me? I'd put some hydrogen peroxide on the foot twice a day, morning and night. and the spot? something that will dry it out. nothing greasy

^^^^ agreed!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
id wash it in hibiclenz and the spot to or put peroxide on it as sherry said.

M

mabel lou

I wonder if getting her one of those cones for her head would help to allow time for healing while you place meds on it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above. Peroxide will work on the cut (peroxide can only help heal open wounds and flush them) or if you have any betadine you could use that as well. Clean it well with hybiclens or another antibacterial soap.

The dried spot looks like it is healing so I would actually put neosphorin on that to soften it a bit and promote healing.

Let us know what you did/if it worked so we can pass it on to others!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Keeping paws clean and dry plus Gentaved Topical Spray or any antibacterial product will keep it from getting further infected. You don't want any bacteria getting in and making it worse. Perhaps if you give her an deer/elk antler she will be too busy to lick her paw. Charlottes sore spot looks small so you caught it early and that's good!:2thumbs:

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Thanks everyone, as always- don't know what I would do with out yall ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.