Help Needed! Bumps on chin (photo enclosed)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We noticed a few days ago that Aubie has these red bumps on her chin:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums...48-B8CC-C6665D4F401E-414-000000469679943F.jpg

I couldn't get the picture to load on here from my phone so there's a link to the photo.

At first we thought she got into ants or something, but these haven't gone away or lessened. She's been itching lately more than usual too, but sometimes she acts itchy to get attention because she knows we will scratch or pet her (she will stop acting itchy if we just pet her 90% of the time). What could it be? Allergies?

We just switched Fromm flavors to chicken a la veg as she'd had chicken food when she was a pup and had no problems. Ill have to order food to switch back to salmon tunalini to see if it's food allergy, so I need to help her itching for now.

I guess I need to know what antihistamine I can give her that won't make her sleepy. Benedryl knocked her out last night even without a full dose for her weight. And could the bumps be food or environmental allergies?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am pretty sure it's allergy, my Blossom had the same rash like bumps on her face, we switched her food to Frooms Beef, she is allergic to chicken for sure, salmon oil, corn, grains, and ?? We don't know what else, seems new things everyday. We give her Benadryl, as per the vet, but it doesn't make her sleepy. I'm not sure what other antihistamines are ok for dogs, but either your vet can recommend one, or maybe someone else on here has experience with a different antihistamine and can help you. Good luck , hope you find relief for your baby

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is bully acne..... wipe her chin after drinking and make sure to use stainless steel bowls... if you are doing this and still happening could be an allergy How old is Shug about 8 months?

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is bully acne..... wipe her chin after drinking and make sure to use stainless steel bowls... if you are doing this and still happening could be an allergy How old is Shug about 8 months?

She's always had stainless steel bowls. She is 8 months now. Aubrey had acne, but hers didn't look that BIG, so that's why I wasn't sure if it was allergies instead with Aubie Shug. Like I said, we did switch Fromm flavors recently because she'd never had a reaction to chicken in the past... so I'm going to give up my huge half bag of Fromm that's left and order her what she was on to see if that helps.

We actually just got her a water fountain to use, but she's had these since before we got it, so I do not think it is that. Plus, she doesn't get her chin very wet (no more water puddles after drinking, yay!) with it. I just can't remember if they started with the food change or not. :confused:

Is there anything I can put on them to see if it helps?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's always had stainless steel bowls. She is 8 months now. Aubrey had acne, but hers didn't look that BIG, so that's why I wasn't sure if it was allergies instead with Aubie Shug. Like I said, we did switch Fromm flavors recently because she'd never had a reaction to chicken in the past... so I'm going to give up my huge half bag of Fromm that's left and order her what she was on to see if that helps.

We actually just got her a water fountain to use, but she's had these since before we got it, so I do not think it is that. Plus, she doesn't get her chin very wet (no more water puddles after drinking, yay!) with it. I just can't remember if they started with the food change or not. :confused:

Is there anything I can put on them to see if it helps?

DAMN.... you got her covered.... it must be something with the food -- is it only on her face?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We had Maggie on Fromm and started with Salmon, then we tried the beef, the surf n turf ....... but it wasn't until I picked up the chicken flavour that the trouble began. Within a very short time she had nasty hives on her face, yeast infection in both ears and interdigital cysts in between her toes. It was awful .. she was a mess!!!

We immediately switched her back on to the beef and everything cleared up!!!

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
DAMN.... you got her covered.... it must be something with the food -- is it only on her face?

Yep. She has been itching her feet a little more than usual though. She does have one spot on her neck that looks like allergies too. It's a small dry skin patch. It's not red or anything out of the normal, just dry and the hair is gone. I did some research and it looks similar to spots caused by allergies; it doesn't look like anything like ringworm, mange, or anything else.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We had Maggie on Fromm and started with Salmon, then we tried the beef, the surf n turf ....... but it wasn't until I picked up the chicken flavour that the trouble began. Within a very short time she had nasty hives on her face, yeast infection in both ears and interdigital cysts in between her toes. It was awful .. she was a mess!!!

We immediately switched her back on to the beef and everything cleared up!!!

I'm thinking it must be the food. We just wanted to try a different flavor, but I guess chicken is definitely a no go!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I was thinking Acne as well. Tate has had several bouts of this. Sometimes the pustules would bleed. I had him on antibiotics for 2 wks and it cleared up.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] If they itch, maybe try a hydrocortisone cream to see if that alleviates it a little? Did the Benadryl help at all? Sleeping is a good thing LOL If you dont want her to go to sleep after taking it, just keep her active until she metabolizes it. I think others use Zyrtec instead of Benadryl.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.