URGENT!!! Don't use bully sticks. ever. seriously.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I am still pretty shaken up with what just happened about 30 minutes ago. Remi almost died tonight. Everyone is okay now, but I really feel like I should spread the word about this to anyone still using bully sticks. If you're still using them, you may want to stop. Like now.

Many of you have vocalized warnings to me about these bully sticks. I have ignored advice to stop using them (honestly, they have gotten me through A LOT), but did take most warnings into consideration despite a) I thought you were all being overprotective bully moms and b) he's constantly in my supervision. I never gave them to him while he was crated or any time I could not supervise him. I work from home and Remi is constantly in my presence, or he's in the crate. Sometimes I will let him up stairs for 1.5 minutes while I make a cup of coffee, but otherwise, he's attached at the hip at 5 months.

But something serious just went down!!!!!!!!!! Right in front of my face :crying::pray:

Every now and again, while I'm working, I will make sure he isn't chewing up my desk or getting into wires, or doing anything he shouldn't be. I was aware he was enjoying a bully stick, but when I heard him chewing and I couldn't see the end of the bully stick, I got concerned. I got up to check it out.

When he started to run from me as if he did something wrong, I knew something was up. I held him and reached up into his mouth to find what he was chewing on. For the first few seconds, I found nothing. I shoved my whole fist in... If he had swallowed another inch of this stick, I wouldn't have been able to pull it out of his throat.

Remi swallowed this entire 1 foot bully stick: :crying:

bullystick.jpg

There were no choking sounds. There were no signs that he needed help. He looked like he always did. If I had not been paying attention at this exact moment, Remi seriously would have died.

The reason I let it get to this point: I thought the danger was actually pieces breaking off and choking my pup, which seemed way more likely than what transpired tonight. I've always kept the bully sticks trim so that couldn't happen - never in my life did I think he could kill himself on a fresh bully stick. And the fact they were on the market at all, they had to be safe, right?? No!

So, I hope this story converts anyone as stubborn as me. If your dog likes to eat anything and everything, sometimes makes gagging noises while chewing on toys - and bites off literally more than they can chew, bully sticks are not for your pup. Learn from this story, and don't chance it!!!

I do want to take this time to thank all of you who warned me about bully sticks. (You know who you are!!) If it weren't for you, I would not have been aware of the dangers/risks, and Remi may not still be here with us. LOVE YOU GUYS!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... so thankful that you were pay attention while he was working on it. Our Banks did the same thing when she was about 8 months (that was 7 yrs ago) scary as all hell! never had them in the house again.

L

Lucy-licious

OMG close shave....now sit down, cuddle your boy and breath. It's over, he's safe and your a good mom :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: Thank Goodness you were paying attention! Yes..we do nag and preach about a lot of things..and Bully sticks are top of the list! Thank you for posting this. You just might save ANOTHER bully's life! :hug:

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
A fellow bully mom gave me one for Dexter because my god bully loves them so much. I gave it to him and he started making gagging sounds while he chewed on it so I took it away and out it in the trash. Thank goodness!!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank GOD your mommy instincts were tingling.... Wilbur did the same thing as a puppy....the bully stick was just silently..gone. Same thing...entire bully stick was down his throat. I pulled the whole gooey mess out and never bought them again. He is the same with rope toys, no-stuffing toys, everything. He tries to swallow it all whole.

I am so glad Remi is ok, and do Not beat yourself up....you got it out. :yes: :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh thank heavens he is okay! Yes that is something that gets misunderstood. Bulldogs try to swallow them whole- it is not small pieces to watch for, it is the whole darn stick! I am so glad you posted this so others can learn from your experience, we are over protective and most of us downright looney, :loco: but most times it is for a good reason :hug:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yep, Kain swallowed a 3" piece or something like that and I was up ALL night, we followed him to be sure he stayed pooping etc etc. WORST FEELING ever! He was only 5 months old and I will NEVER do that again.
On that note for those reading this for the first time CowHide's are in the same category, will never be entering my house.

Deer Antlers, Nylabones, and Kong products that are big enough to be safe.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Thank you for the warning you never think it's gonna happen to your baby, and it wont happen to any. Of mine just threw them all away.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Oh thank heavens he is okay! Yes that is something that gets misunderstood. Bulldogs try to swallow them whole- it is not small pieces to watch for, it is the whole darn stick!

This is what totally blew my mind and is really the moral of the story. Watch out folks!! And thank you so much for the kind words. Seriously! All you guys are awesome and just instinctually knew I was having "i'm a bad bully mom" thoughts!!

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I am so happy your bullyboy is okay. That's a scary story but at least you are an observant parent. Hugs to both of you.

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for posting this warning. I don't know how, of all the hours I've spent on here, I've never seen the bully stick warnings.

I'm so glad your baby Remi is ok. And so thoughtful of you to so quickly post the warning.

Hug it out!

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
Oh my! Thanks for the warning! Never used them and now never will. Thank goodness Remi is ok! :goodjob:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.