General Question Puppies and Build. What to choose?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have seen a few bulldogs that have big ropes(the roll over their nose) and then there are others without any over very little and I was wondering if that impacted their breathing at all? Also for health reasons what is a more healthy build, a short block like build as in short body short legs and a big rope or a longer body not real long but average with not so short legs and small rope? I have thought about this I couldn't tell you how many times when choosing my Lola and now I am looking sometime in the next year at getting another and I dont know whats a better thing health wise to look for. I will not be using this baby to breed or show just as a pet so its only for health reasons. Thanks!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I didnt know if the rope added pressure to the nose or impaired breathing at all?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Great Question! I think cleaning the rope is the big difference..but let's ask
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well as far as short legs or long and short body or long doesn't matter health wise. As far as the nose rope the bigger the rope and deeper the crease the harder it is to clean and stay clean. as far as their breathing, it shouldn't make any difference.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
In my opinion the nose rope does not change the breathing but it is a pain to keep clean if you don't use the right products. The flatter the face is where the breathing problems usually occur. I love the really short stocky Bulldogs by the way they look, but I am not sure as to whether or not it does impact their ability to be more mobile, as an active. None of my bulldogs are short but they are very active and they can run and play without getting overheated. The breathing issues come from the elongated pallet and the nares. That in combination with the flat face can cause some serious issues. The first thing I tell all puppy buyers to ask their vet is if the nares are wide-open and if their pallet looks good. They cannot tell if there is an elongated pallet without actually putting the dog under however, they can tell if the Hard part is on the short side or of the right proportion. (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
When I got Lupe, i didn't know about ropes. Never crossed my mind. BUT she has had very few breathing probs, nor any other typical things so far. She's my first EB. My husband and I invest in her health....love and (sorry to say) money make a difference, not anatomy, in my opinion. After 4 yrs with my girl, we are hoping to adopt a rescue. My husband says we've been lucky so far

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
just my opinion here, I'm not a professional. I like to see the short rolly body, but I think this adds pressure to the dog's short stubby legs, they have to work harder to walk, run and play as freely. Peggy doesn't run, she trots. Her and Griz are heavier than the others because they can't be as active, thus making it harder to breath as freely. the hotter they get, the more moister can grow in the rope, the better the chances of germs to be invited in that area. Peg and Griz , they eat less than the others but are larger in stock. I would say the smaller rope, longer leg/body is healthier.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.