Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear she is doing good! I also posted a supplement in the great bulldog products forum it's specifically made for urinary tract infections, You may want to check that one out too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Surgeries went fine!!!!

They ended up doing both eyes, as the other eye had a very slight one, but it would only come out if she was very very tired, or if she was stressed. Obviously, she was stressed at the vets so they fixed that too.

When they did her spay they told me she was swollen and they told me that she was about to go in to heat. So I just looked at them, and let them know she had been in heat three months ago so it seemed a bit soon to go into heat again. Their other thought is that she had some slight infection so that I should keep a careful watch on her to see if I notice anything abnormal. So that's got us a little worried.

When she was in heat before, she developed a UTI. When she pees she does crouch VERY low and I'm wondring if this is going to be something that she will suffer with a lot. @LariP and @BruceP I know you give HRH a cranberry pill every morning ... what brand do you use?? I think it might be worth while investing in some of these and giving her one of them everyday. I'm guessing about this but I don't see that it would harm her to take one a day!!

Right now she is on Rimadyl twice a day, and she has this ointment for her eyes which is a steroid and anti-inflammatory.

Overall, she's doing really well so far ......... :luv:

So sorry I missed this but seeing your update the surgeries went well.

We certainly will be praying for a speedy recovery w/no complications
healing from those UTI's for life...big, slobbery kisses from Brutus & me!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Surgeries went fine!!!!

They ended up doing both eyes, as the other eye had a very slight one, but it would only come out if she was very very tired, or if she was stressed. Obviously, she was stressed at the vets so they fixed that too.

When they did her spay they told me she was swollen and they told me that she was about to go in to heat. So I just looked at them, and let them know she had been in heat three months ago so it seemed a bit soon to go into heat again. Their other thought is that she had some slight infection so that I should keep a careful watch on her to see if I notice anything abnormal. So that's got us a little worried.

When she was in heat before, she developed a UTI. When she pees she does crouch VERY low and I'm wondring if this is going to be something that she will suffer with a lot. @LariP and @BruceP I know you give HRH a cranberry pill every morning ... what brand do you use?? I think it might be worth while investing in some of these and giving her one of them everyday. I'm guessing about this but I don't see that it would harm her to take one a day!!

Right now she is on Rimadyl twice a day, and she has this ointment for her eyes which is a steroid and anti-inflammatory.

Overall, she's doing really well so far ......... :luv:

So glad the surgery went well! Has the vet checked her urine for crystals? EB's can be prone to form urate stones and in that case cranberry is not good, quite the opposite. So I'm always a bit worried when cranberry is given for all urinary problems.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Glad Bella Bear's surgeries went well! I hope it easier for you to keep her quiet than it is for me to keep Zeus quiet following his surgery. Hope you find the right supplement for UTI. Females seem to have more of an issue with this than males. Hugs and prayers for Bella Bear from me and Zeus!!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ... I'll look those up.

[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I spoke to the vet who did her surgeries today, and she confirmed that she is going to be prone to UTIs because of the way she pees, and because of how bad her last one was. Also the swelling they saw during the spay looked like the beginnings of a UTI.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Glad Bella Bear's surgeries went well! I hope it easier for you to keep her quiet than it is for me to keep Zeus quiet following his surgery. Hope you find the right supplement for UTI. Females seem to have more of an issue with this than males. Hugs and prayers for Bella Bear from me and Zeus!!

Bella has luxating patellas in both back legs with the right one being worse than the left, and so when we first got her as an owner surrender she had virtually no muscle at all in those back legs. I'm assuming her previous owners had little to no yard and didn't take her for walks, because she's been with us now for 4 months and her back leg muscles have doubled in size and that's mostly from walking around our back yard which is fairly large and fully fenced in. She used to pee balancing on just her front legs, her back legs would almost lift off the floor completely .. she looked like she was doing doggy yoga!!!! Now with the muscle strength she no longer does that but does pee really really low to the floor, and I'm sure touching the grass when she pees is going to lead to UTIs more than normal!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Bella's mommy, don't worry too much, I know easier said than done, but she's in good hands, and she will be fine. I told you before my Blossom was spayed and her cherry eye fixed 2 months ago, and she bounced back quite quickly. Sending you and Bella good thoughts, love and prayers for her surgeries, and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on how she does.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Oh she is in my thoughts :( we had porky spayed, both eyes fixed, vulva repositioned, hernia repaired and microchipped at the same time :'( I know how you are feeling!!!!!!! She is in great hands :) let us know how she does ;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You mentioned that Bella may be more prone to UTI's because of the way she pees, close to the ground, so that got me thinking, I wonder if wiping her area with a unscented or sensitive baby wipe would help minimize her getting a UTI?

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
You mentioned that Bella may be more prone to UTI's because of the way she pees, close to the ground, so that got me thinking, I wonder if wiping her area with a unscented or sensitive baby wipe would help minimize her getting a UTI?
Miss Tallula was very prone to UTI's and was on meds a few times. I started wiping her vulva with unscented baby wipes and a cotton pad to dry the area everyday and so far so good. So happy Bella is on the mend. I was a total wreck when Miss T was spayed -and she had her palette lasered for elongated soft palatte -a good Bully vet it makes all the difference. It's nice to have it over and done with.

Most Reactions