Help Needed! Smelly Tale

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Hi Everyone! so for the past 2-3 weeks i have noticed a foul odor coming from Rocky's tale :excited:, i don't notice all the time, but when i do, oh my goodness, i always wipe him when he poops, and it looks clean, i'm afraid it could be under his tail? What should i do? :nope:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
are you wiping his butt or cleaning his tail pocket? if he has a deep tail pocket you need to clean it or it can get infected

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Oh my his tale is so tight, i don't think i have ever done that, i've been cleaning his butt not his tail pocket :( how do i get up in there? lol, sigh, first bulldog, first dog ever can you all tell? oh my poor baby, another thing i have noticed is when he poops, he runs inside and he's ready to hide his butt from me, he's not letting me clean him like he used to, hmmmm, i guess i'll ask hubby, is got to be his tail pocket :(

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My vet showed me Izzy's tail pocket because I was afraid to hurt here trying to find it! Her tail is very tight too... I bought gauze and a solution that the vet gave me and I wipe it once a week. The gauze usually comes out with a brownish color and some long hair on it (probably the hair that falls around her tail area).

I am also a new bully mom but according to many posts in here when they hide or complain when you clean them is because they might have a yeast infection in there due to the dirt and moist that is trapt in the area, that's why it is important to keep it clean.

M

mabel lou

I had a girl who had an infection in her tail pocket and the vet that I had taken her to said first things first, and antibiotic and second was warm water with medicated shampoo and allowing her to just sit for a few minutes on her butt. Warm water helped soothe it and by gently placing your hand back there with more medicated shampoo and just sudzing the water a whole bunch to get affected area really well. Dry it really good by patting it and if at all possible depending on how badly it is infected to just move it a little to allow air to get in their. She had me do this daily and the results of doing so per the vet were amazing. The vet said keeping it dry was the key but keeping it clean was also a key factor as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You might take her to the vet as she may have an infection in her tail pocket. While there, have your vet show you how the clean it.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Thank you all so much !!!!!! We did try to clean it last night, and stinky hair came out, how do i know if he has an infection? there's no way for me to really look under his tail :(

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
in my experience with Diesel, his tail pocket doesn't have an odor so because you poor baby has an odor I would think maybe he needs to be checked by his vet just to be sure, and like was said above, have your vet show you how to really get in there and clean the tail pocket, it's so important to make sure its done correctly and regularly. hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
agree with [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] i would also ask your vet for a solution that wont leave the area moist. I used to clean it with wipes but soon learned that it was no good because leaving any humidity will increase the chance of an infection.

Izzy's tail pocket is impossible to see... I can only put my finger in there and rub gently with the gauze. I also get a lot of hair coming out ... and like I said on my previous post if dirty the gauze get a brownish color but it usually doesnt smell much.

Funny thing on my baby is the way she acts when I clean it! Actually this would be a great topic for a new thread! :D

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon's is pretty tight as well but only got bad once after we were at the beach and he got sand in there.

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
I have known from the get go that Aunt Clara has a tight tail and pocket, but it was not until about a month ago I learned just how extensive her pocket actually is, when she got a nasty infection. Her tail looked a little dirty to me, and when I went to wipe it with a baby wipe, it sounded sudsy, if that makes since. I decided to sniff it to see if there was an odor, and it literally smelled like something had crawled in there and died, yuck!

The vet told me to wash it with povidone iodine a couple of times a day and to dry it well. He also said I could use antibiotic ointment and/or diaper cream on it in between. It worked amazingly well, with no signs of infection within a few days.

The main problem was at the bottom side of the tail, which is where I didn't know the pocket extended to. The main part of her pocket is off to one side. She also has a very deep kink right in the center of her tail that was affected. I had to just man up and feel all around to find all the pocketed areas, which was nerve wracking at first, but now we're both used to it. Clara turns her butt toward me and licks the air while I clean her tail a couple of times a week now.

Here's how to use the iodine, which is not tincture of iodine, but povidone iodine, which you can buy at pretty much any drug store and even at Walmart. It's cheap, too, and will last a long time: You out a few drops of the iodine in some water to make it look like iced tea. Use a cotton pad or ball dipped in the mixture to wipe out the affected area. Then use another pad or cotton ball with just water to rinse. Then use another dry one too remove any moisture left behind before applying ointment. I like the cotton cosmetic pads as they are easy to work with.

The vet and I had agreed that after trying this over the weekend I would bring her in if it wasn't better. I couldn't believe how well it worked and that she did not need an antibiotic or to go to the doc.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
There are other people on here that use witch hazel as well, it's a natural astringent so it dries out on its own w/o leaving any residual dampness

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Sounds great!!!! thank you all so much for your help!!! i'm taking him tomorrow to the vet and i'll ask him how to clean it! :) i'll keep you all posted!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.