Help Needed! Newbie Needing Health Help

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
I'm a new owner of an English Bulldog named CAMMIE for camoflouge. I was in the Marines. Anyways I used to be a breeder of pit bulls and lately I have noticed that my Bulldog isn't really looking like those of the ones I see in pictures online. She is short like one and has that smooshed in face like they have but her body isn't as fat looking and wrinkly as the ones I have seen. She has a longer tail than those I have seen too.

Now I have done some research before on other blogs and others say it takes them time to fill out but the ones I have seen at her age 12 weeks now are thicker. She eats good from what I can tell from my past experiences with dogs but just not sure cuz of her breed.

Side note I have her full papers and have seen both parents so I know she is pure but still makes me wonder if I am doing things right. HELP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 153

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hi and welcome!!

Cammie is beautiful and looks like a bulldog to me for sure. My 8 month male bully is slender and doesn't have that "bulldog" look you're describing - which usually means they are possibly overweight, which you definitely don't want. Also, females are typically smaller than males. Herman is developing slowly and just a few days ago he was less slender than he is now. Next week he'll be chunky again LOL Most of the healthy bulldogs I've seen are slender, muscular and have a nice shape - the ones that look like typical bulldogs seem to be overweight (even their owners will admit it).

What you want to look for is her being at a good weight - you can feel her ribs and spine (it will feel like there is a thin blanket between your fingers and the bone), and that she has a distinct waist when viewed from the top. Also, look at her from the side - her tummy should be higher than her chest.

Her body is going to change every day, and in about 3 years you'll know what she will really look like when she grows up :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Looks bully to me.... You cant tell much at this young age. BUllies are very slow to develope. We like to say they grow UP the first year and OUT the second. But even then they arent completely filled out for some time. Just enjoy her and her baby bully antics :) .
and welcome to ebn :grumpa:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
They change really fast from week to week,sometimes day to day. When we bought Amber the breeder warned us not to get worried if she looked a little strange while she was growing and she was absolutely correct. Amber was long legged one day, short and chunky the next,long and slender the next and this went on for several months. She increased her weight so fast I had to keep up with her collars daily. Then at about 9 months she leveled off a bit and now she is one year old this week and weights 52 pounds. Her shoulders and head are starting to grow now and that is the last thing for them to grow into from what I have been advised by the breeder. Cammie is beautiful and has lots of growing ahead of her. Good luck!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi, she looks great to me, she very cute. I have 2 EB siblings, brother and sister, they are 9 months old, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. They are from the same litter, but look very different. Blossom is the girl, she has the more bulldog body, she is much thicker than Dozer, and her chest is much broader, she definetly has the more bulldog body, her brother looks more like a boxer, his body is longer, more muscular, rather than round, and his face isn't as wrinkly as Blossoms. They are 9 months old, and weigh 32 and 34 pounds, Blossom has always been 2 pounds behind her brother, but she looks bigger, and stockier. My vet says she likes the way they look, they are sturdy, have a well defined waist, and are healthy. We feed them 1 1/3 cups of Fromms Beef Fritata, twice a day.here are some pictures of my 2:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is a beauty alright, and they do go through many changes. They will grow tall and then fill out after about the first year. Oh and welcome to the site.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont think I've ever fed Herman more than 2 1/2 cups total per day. Most of the time it has been 2 1/4. It really depends on the food - some you need to feed more of and some you need to feed less of (depending on how much filler and protein is in it). The grain free foods I believe you will feed less of [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is very helpful in helping you figure that out!!

I have always fed him twice per day. He's about 52 pounds now. When he was about 4 months old, I brought him back to the breeder for his nails to be clipped and he showed me a 9 month old male that had the same dad as Herman. There was such a big difference!! Now Herman is almost 9 months old and is looking like the one we saw.

I suggest taking lots of photos daily/weekly so you can see how she grows! It's amazing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko is just two years old and most times he looks like a little boy in my eyes and strange people say how big and muscular he looks...I just don't see him like others do. Sometimes when I see him from far he looks like mighty bullie that he is, but them again at close he is my little boy happy to see me wiggling his butt.

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
She's Beautiful!!!! and She looks Bully to me!! Bulldogs come in all sizes, and they do grow everyday,very fast, it's amazing how much they change, my Rocky is 9 months and weights 60 pounds! Take lots of pics! you will see how much she's growing!!! Welcome to the site :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i havent had a puppy so dunno but she looks wonderful and ive never fed sarah more than 2 cups of food and when she ate kibble she got bout 2/3 cup twice a day. it really does depend on the food and the bully. if you need help im around and welcome to ebn and enjoy your puppy :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You rec'd great info above --- I just wanted to welcome you and Cammy to EBN and thank you for your service to our country!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't really add much more to the wonderful advice that you've already received!!!

I will just add, that after being involved in an English Bulldog Rescue group, that you see all kinds of different shapes and sizes of bullies. They are all 100% but just like us they come in different "packages" :luv:

Most Reactions