Other Human Medications You Can Give Your Pets

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Saw this on Dr. Andrew Jones' website and thought it was interesting.

Before you give anyone or any animal any medication, please consult your doctor or veterinarian about dosage and side effects. The medications and their dosages in the following list are only guidelines. You should call your veterinarian for your animal dosages today. That way you can place a list in your first aid kit with specifics for your pets before an emergency happens. The dosages are for dogs only unless otherwise stated.

Here is an abreviated list of some of the meds:

Anbesol. Topical anesthetic for mouth pain. For DOGS dab on liquid 2-3 times per day. FOR CATS - only use ONCE.

Aveeno Oatmeal Shampoo. Great to cool down itchy inflamed skin - for especially irritated pets you can do this daily. Then a typical maintenance is once a week.

Benadryl. Up to 1 mg per pound every 8 hours to treat allergies, itching, etc. Can also be used as a mild tranquilizer when the dosage is reduced. (Feline dosage is the same as the canine dosage.)

Betadine Skin Cleanser. Antiseptic skin cleanser. Apply directly to affected area.

Mineral Oil. Up to 4 Tbsp. daily to eliminate constipation (Feline dosage: up to 2 tsp. daily) Vaseline is also very effective for this, and easier and often safer to give. The vaseline dose is 1 teaspoon per 10lbs

Metamucil. For Constipation. For Dogs, 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs per day. For Cats, 1/2 -1 teaspoon per day.

Pedialyte. Mix 50:50 with water and offer as much as your pet will take when dehydrated.

Pepcid AC. This is an antacid, which is safe for cats. The dog and cat dose is 5mg per 10lbs twice daily.

Preparation H. FOR DOGS ONLY. Apply to an irritated anal area 3 times daily.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great info!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Just imagine I was always paranoid when Herman licked the Vaseline I tried to put on his nose.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This is great information, really good to keep on hand for reference when needed. Thank you for your great advice as always.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.