Help Needed! What IS this??? Sore Face

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi all... has anyone experienced something like this? Very localized soreness/redness on Wilbur's face, in the path of his tear wrinkle. One side only.
It is bad today - it seems to come and go.
He is on a grain-free, poultry-free diet right now, 7 weeks in and so far so good (no brutal chin acne, which is his usual allergy "tell"). There is just this.
I have only just started giving them salmon oil on their food. I can't understand if it is that, since they are on Wellness Core Ocean and it also has salmon. I would expect a more systemic reaction (like chin acne) if this was allergy...

I have also added apple cider vinegar ( I wouldn't think that is a common allergen?)

Any comments are appreciated... I keep it clean and some days are better than others, so I am not sure what is going on. I will also mention it is winter here now, consistently below freeing and snow is on the ground so I am ruling out seasonal allergy?

Attachments

• wilbur face.jpg
    wilbur face.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 223

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
we have the same problem with titan...it's pretty much just one side also...we find that if we don't keep it dry and clean he will scratch it and it will turn raw. we dry it out with corn starch if it gets really really bad...but if it gets irritated we put cortisone or something on it to keep it from getting infected...i know some put desitin but i'm afraid jameson would lick it off him...hahah

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Adding the salmon oil on top of the salmon food may have put the quantity of the allergen over the top. Zelda used to get those marks under her nose rope. They were allergy related, mostly food. Check his ear on that side. If he's developing something with his ear it might well cause the eye to tear. Also, does he sleep with that side down, that might make that side more prone to problems than the other. I'd try some antibiotic ointment and see if that helps the redness or maybe some destin since that's to sooth irritated wet areas.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks ia the same way... environmental allergies, bother her one eye more than the other. Desitin really helps... just a small amount to help dry it up

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My Blossom gets those too, around her chin mostly, came from her food, and we switched from chicken based foods , we tried 4 different foods before we found the right one. We're currently feeding Fromms Beef Fritata, and doing well. I started giving them 1/2 tsp salmon oil , in their food once a day, and Blossom immediately , got the sore, pink chin , pink ears, and face again. I had to give her a Benadryl, and she was fine after that. I stopped giving her the salmon oil, 2 days ago, and her face is cleared up. I'm going to wait until next week, to make sure it's out of her system, then try either cod liver oil, or coconut oil for the omegas, and hopefully she will tolerate one of those . It's trial and error, try stopping the salmon oil, and see if it improves, also you can give a Benadryl, and see if it clears up. If you don't see an improvement after that, maybe a trip to the vet. Good luck, hope you find a solution, and Wilber gets relief.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would stop the salmon oil and use just a little Desitin on the irritated area.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank you so much everyone! I have stopped the salmon oil, and the diaper cream is applied!
i hope that will do it.....otherwise I think another food change will be in order!

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Thank you so much everyone! I have stopped the salmon oil, and the diaper cream is applied!
i hope that will do it.....otherwise I think another food change will be in order!

How did your bully do after removing the salmon oil from the diet? My bully has had a pink face lately, most noticeable in the morning...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
How did your bully do after removing the salmon oil from the diet? My bully has had a pink face lately, most noticeable in the morning...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hi!
well after all of this, he didn't improve with the removal of the salmon oil or with the diaper cream. In fact, it very shortly exploded into full-on horrific acne ( the worst he has ever had). I was back at the vet and another $400 later, another 3 week round of antibiotics, bactroban ointment, and Hill's prescription z/d food (yes I caved....I need to get a baseline going here). Almost immediately, he developed very soft stool. Not diarrhea, but really runny messy poop and it took him forever to go. Skin fabulous of course....it always clears right up on antibiotics. For the poop, the vet put him on the Tylan powder, but it didn't seem to help. I feel horrible because one day he was just shaking uncontrollably, all over. I rushed him in and while he wasn't critical, dehydration was setting in after 6 weeks of runny poop. I pulled him from both the Tylan and the z/d food, and my vet totally agreed. I know it is hypoallergenic but there was something in it he reacted to.

I now have him on Medi-Cal hydrolized hypoallergenic HP prescription food ( it is a soy - based protein , the other was chicken. But hydrolized should fix that, I don't know). We also put him on a serious antibiotic to stop the poop situation, in case he had some sort of gut infection ( metro- something, we've had it before for acute diarrhea ). Within a day of the new food, his poops are normal. I am only 2 weeks into this food, off antibiotics for 10 days now, and (fingers crossed) everything is excellent. We will see in about 5 more weeks, because his reactions have typically taken 4 to 5 weeks to develop.

I will add that Layla has none if these issues, except a super deep nose rope that is very prone to yeast issues.

To clean their faces now, I am pretty bare bones. I use an unscented baby wipe every second day and apply a very thin layer of bactroban to their chins and wrinkles once a week. Layla's nose rope has never been better, and as I said, Wilbur is doing great right now.

I would say a pink face is ok, with normal flush or colour...) but if it is RED and gets acne and bleeds...that is a problem...keep an eye on it, Wilbur started to develop these allergies and issues once he reached 1 year.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How is your pup doing on the Hydrolized food? My boy has been having some issues similar to yours and the vet just had me switch him to Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein. I'm not a big fan of RC but felt like I needed to at least give it a try. He is also on antibiotics, steroids and anti- diarrhea meds. At least I can get him back to level ground and then go from there, but still not happy giving him a 1 star food. :( He likes it, but does seem to be less satisfied and hungrier, but I also know the steroids can increase appetite. I am anxious to hear if the new food worked for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you know getting your pet ok and stabilized is really the most important thing. once you get them ok n on something they dont react to then its easy to change their food later to something better. if they react then you have something to fall back on till you find something that works. i have been through bout 25 foods with sarah so i can tell you having a fall back food that you know works is great. keep us updated. oh and if you need help finding something better im always around. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.