Help Needed! Supplement for immune system

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon got diagnosed with Mange a couple of weeks ago. She was given a topical cream and we will have a follow up 4 weeks later. We were told by Vet that this is due to her immune system since she is a puppy and all.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplement that helps with immune system? She is 5.5 months old.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353955379.205597.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353955390.494988.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We give our guys Salmon Oil , 1 tsp in the their kibble every morning, and 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water everyday, there is a good article on this site on the benefits of ACV. It helps with bacteria, inflammation, immunity, breath, and joints. We also give our guys plain unsweetened yogurt, twice a week , this is also good for immunity , or you can buy probiotic pills.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH gets plain Greek Yogurt mixed into her kibble every morning...fish oil pill and cranberry pill also.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The yogurt helps, and we give ours HardyPet Complete.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
The mange probably popped up because Bacon's been ill lately. It is not uncommon for that to happen in many dog breeds. It sounds like it's being treated as a localized outbreak, which is good. If it clears up without becoming generalized that's an indication that her immune system is in better shape than you think it could be. Her body has what it needs to fight it off. A few basic things about nutrition for humans that may also apply to dogs, I'm not sure. B vitamins are burned when under stress and are water soluble so it's pretty hard to overdose. Vitamins C and E are good for the blood and blood vessels but you can get to much of them. Too much Vitamin C = the runs and an upset stomach

Brewers yeast contains lots of B vitamins and the powder can be sprinkled on their food. Animals like the taste and fleas and mosquitoes don't. I use it with both my dogs and cats as an extra precaution.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use salmon oil, yogurt and NuVet plus, folic acid for moms and vitamin c, tums on occasion for calcium and ph levels. Not everything everyday, I mix it up throughout the week :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah gets a people probiotic, salmon oil, and joint meds for her hip and leg.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I give Tuni Nuvet tablets, we love them! She's been taking them since 8 weeks.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Interesting thread...I might try a supplement for Linus as he ages. He's turning 7 this January and I want to keep him in tip top shape...lost of good suggestions in this thread.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I gave Herman NuVet, probiotics and enzymes. To help with mange the NuVet folks recommended giving 2 pills for the first bottle to jumpstart. So I started with 2, then switched to 1 - however, I've stopped giving the NuVet for a while because they are very detoxifying (which is a good thing) while trying to get his digestion stabilized (soft poop going on).

Herman also got 2 tsp of coconut oil in each of his meals as well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I give Usko probiotics and a multivitamin supplement.

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
She getting probiotic now and yogurt with breakfast. I will try Salmon oil again and see how it goes with her. Last time we tries it it was around that time that the mange popped up.

Thanks everyone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.