Help Needed! Her breath smells bad... smells like blood?!?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy's breath no longer smells like "puppy breath" and I noticed that her breath smells a lot like blood lately, old blood. :barf:

She still eating Fromm Beef Fritatta and the only thing we did different and for a very short period (2 days) was to give her a pump of salmon oil in her food (since she is allergic to salmon I had to stop with that). But her breath stinks!!!!!! :(

I checked her mouth and everything looks normal but last nite she spitted a big tooth (the last tooth from the upper jaw, the wider one). Could it be that the reason her mouth and breath smells like blood? Does teething makes them have bad breath???

I just want to make sure it is nothing that I should worry about.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never notice their baby teeth doing that, but I guess I never smelled their breath when they were teething. give it a day or two the see if it clears up.

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon's breath smelled like blood when he was teething there would be spots of it on his chew toys too

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonkas breath was terrible and smelled like old blood for the entire time he was teething. He had blood on his chew toys and i would even find it on the carpet every so often. Just keep an eye out an make sure she isn't breaking any teeth off like half way because that can be painful and that new teeth look to e coming in nicely. It's just a crappy phase :(

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
And don't be surprised if you see the new teeth coming in behind the current teeth, Bacon had that happen with a few of his, it looked like shark teeth. A day or so later the baby tooth would pop out.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
And don't be surprised if you see the new teeth coming in behind the current teeth, Bacon had that happen with a few of his, it looked like shark teeth. A day or so later the baby tooth would pop out.

Thanks for the heads up! This group helps me to avoid many trips to the vet :D

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Okay so now she has the double teeth going on with the lower fangs ... Her breaths smells terrible and the old teeth is kind brownish in color, almost like is rotten. I touched it and it seems pretty hard and not ready to fall any time soon :( is it normal for the tooth to become brown?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Okay so now she has the double teeth going on with the lower fangs ... Her breaths smells terrible and the old teeth is kind brownish in color, almost like is rotten. I touched it and it seems pretty hard and not ready to fall any time soon :( is it normal for the tooth to become brown?

This happened to Cleo and the vet had to pop 2 of them out cuz they were basically rotting. her breath smelled like death but the next day after he did that it was fine again. I really think it's a baby tooth or two rotting in there.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Interesting ... Linus breath smells "fishy" and I've looked all inside his mouth and can't see anything at all. Perfectly white and nice pink gums but still stinks of fish! :blink:

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
This happened to Cleo and the vet had to pop 2 of them out cuz they were basically rotting. her breath smelled like death but the next day after he did that it was fine again. I really think it's a baby tooth or two rotting in there.

Oh noo... please dont tell me I might have another vet bill before Christmas :(. How did you wait until you decided you needed to have them extracted? I wonder if I should wait or just go ahead and take her to the vet.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We didn't have to deal with the vet to get Bacon's teeth out, he loves to play tug with me so that did all the work. He did get the double teeth thing for awhile though

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy better wait for me to get home!!!! I am ready to play tug for next 4 hours!!!! Or even all weekend if it takes us to lose that teeth!!!!!!! Petco here we come!!! Anything will be cheaper than a vet bill :2thumbs:

M

mabel lou

OMG today I went to my mothers house and she has this super super tiny yorky who is so beautiful at the age of 9 and weighs like 3lbs or maybe 2lbs and she has horrible teeth and missing teeth but her breath was absolutely rotten smelling when I went to love on her. I looked at her teeth and ewe they are all brown and so I told my mother that her teeth were rotten giving her the bad breath and she said that she was not letting her dog have any kind of surgery at her age and weight possibly never waking up again cause she has had her since she was born from her other female yorkie who is now passed on. But yeah the smell is horrific and she is such a cute little tiny thing. So my mom is just letting them fall out on their own and says her teeth don't bother her at all. I laughed because her tongue falls out with the missing teeth. Hope your girls bad teeth fall out on their own and her new teeth stay pearly white!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I hope it gets better! I have never noticed a blood smell on Lola!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Oh noo... please dont tell me I might have another vet bill before Christmas :(. How did you wait until you decided you needed to have them extracted? I wonder if I should wait or just go ahead and take her to the vet.

Well it happened right before she was spayed at 5mo so she was already going to have surgery so it was done then. I mentioned it when i dropped her off and he said he'd look and sure enough, 2 were just rotting away and she smelled better by the time i picked her up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online