Help Needed! Allergic to salmon oil?!?!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Is it possible that Izzy is allergic to salmon oil? I started giving her 1 pump a day on Monday and by Tuesday her chin was red and she was scratching her body and legs so much that I saw a patch of raw skin. I stopped with the salmon oil on Wednesday and so far she seems to be okay. On the same day I started w the salmon oil I also gave her the hardy pet complete so I also stopped giving her the supplement so I can pin out what's making her itch so much. Does anybody knows a case of a bulldog being allergic to the salmon oil????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes.... Banks is sensitive to salmon and I believe [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is also. Banks gets red face and very itchy when I gave her Fromm Tunalini which has salmon in it... once I stopped it she was fine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: YUP! Jake is very sensitive to Salmon. I tried changing his food to a Salmon protein and the second meal, with just 1/4 cup of the Salmon in it, sent him over the edge. Bumps, itches and bright pink skin! It went straight away when he stopped the salmon.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am not familiar with this, but it is quite possible. You can be allergic, or develop an allergy at any time. Since you stopped it , and he got relief , then it makes sense that it is an allergy or sensitivity at the least. If the redness is gone then I wouldn't give it to him again. You could try something different like cod liver oil, and see if how he does on that.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Our vet suggest just plain old fish oil pills, I really can't tell a difference, but I don't see any signs of allergies either.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You could try coconut oil instead, same benefits as salmon oil. Yes it's possible for a bully to be allergic to salmon and it's oil.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson and Jack do really good on Salmon oil. I started Emma on it when we got her and she did very well on it too. Expect that her face was always really pink. I read somewhere here not too long ago that someone else's bully was sensitive to it. So I decided to try something a couple of weeks ago. I quit giving her Salmon oil to see if she was sensitive to it. Her face has really brightened up. I've been giving her coconut oil instead and her coat is still gorgeous and soft. My next step is to change her food since she's on a fish based protein to see if that helps more. I'm doing a process of elimination.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH appeared to be sensitive to salmon too.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah does fine with salmon oil but one of my boston is allergic to it so yes it could be the salmon oil. ive heard of several bullies who cannot take it. having said that it doesnt mean its not the hardy pet complete supplement. only way to know is add one back in and see what happens. sarah is allergic to several supplements ive tried to give her.

Last edited:
OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank you all! She is back to normal so I decided to give the hardy pet complete today to see if she has any reaction to it. Now I need to figure out what I am goin to do with the large bottle of salmon oil that I got at amazon.....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm glad this came up, because I would never have thought of my Blossom being allergic to the Salmon Oil. I have been giving my two Salmon Oil in their food for about a month, Dozer is fine with it. Blossom is the one with all the allergies or sensitivities to food, after I switched to Fromms Beef, she is doing much better, no more pink skin or ears, and normal poops. Lately though she started getting really pink again in her face, ears and chin areas. I never thought about Salmon Oil being the culprit , but after reading this thread I wondered , so last night when she was sitting on the couch with me, I noticed she was quite pink, I gave her a Benedryl, and after an hour or so, her colouring was back to normal, and she woke up this morning with no pinkness. I fed her kibble this morning without the Salmon Oil, I just put it in Dozers food, to see if its the oil tha caused the reaction. I hope it's not the food and just the Salmon Oil, we were doing so good on the Fromms Beef, otherwise I'm back to square one with her food. My next question is I've seen people on here talking about using other fish oils, is cod liver oil a good source, or are their other fish oils I could use? Also I read about Coconut Oil, does it have the same benefits as the Salmon Oil? Any help will be appreciated.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How funny .. the last thread I posted on was almost the same comment. Just to switch things up I changed from the Fromm Beef Frittata to the Salmon n Veg flavour. I'd run out of the Grizzly Salmon Oil a while ago, and for whatever reason I just never got round to buying more ... :ashamed: About two weeks after introducing the Salmon, Bella Bear started to break out in bumps on the top of her head and then started to lose hair there. I'm guessing it was the Salmon so put her immediately back on the Beef. At the same time I had got a huge bottle of the Grizzly Salmon Oil so I took her off that too. The bumps seem to have gone although she continued to lose hair there for a while after. She goes into the vets to be spayed and have cherry eye surgery on Thursday so I'm going to ask them to take a look, and if necessary get it scraped.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I believe that Herman is allergic to salmon oil and salmon. While he was on it his ears itched, he was shaking his head or trying to scratch them a number of times during the day. Once I stopped giving it to hm, he stopped the head shaking. I give him coconut oil every day - he loves it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.