Help Needed! Wormer for newborn puppies

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Everyone,

As some of you know, my Nihya had puppies and they are 3 weeks old today. Is it ok to start giving them "worming" medicine. If so, what kind is the best and where can i find it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't have an answer but let me tag a few that will be able to help ... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] @ Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
In PA, to have the pup health certified, the vet administers the worming and all vaccines. I know there's several wormer's out there that are good. Most are for puppies, not all wormers are for all worms so make sure you know what you are getting.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use Pyrantal Pomate for their first worming. It is a mild wormer and is not as strong. I do this around 3 weeks of age. Then after they start eating mush, around 4 weeks old, 10 days later, I use safeguard. It will kill all worm types (unlike pyrantal pomate and many other mild wormers) and will also kill giardia if there is any of that in their intestines as well. The dosing is different on the safeguard and you have to have an rx I think to get it for dogs, but you can get it for horses and goats (same exact thing) without a prescription. You can order it from A to Z vet supply and they can also send you a sheet with the instructions on how to use many of their products. Don't do everything that is on that sheet. Most of what is on their planning and dosage sheet is for large kennels with many dogs-- where disease and bacteria run rampid so most of it is not necessary (like treating for coccidia). Their instructions also say to worm every two weeks until they leave with the safeguard. I do not do this. I worm once with the Pyrantal Pomate, and twice with safeguard and that is IT. Never had a puppy go home with worms. Don't think they ever had them to begin with so more of a precautionary that is why I don't like to over do it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry, late to the treat, but [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] pretty much covered it.

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], do you order the safeguard from A to Z Vet Supply as well? I looked and they only offer it in a liter or gallon . Where can i find a smaller amount because i don't need a gallon of dewormer. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you call them they may have a smaller amount not sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online