URGENT!!! tons of mucus and very lethargic

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
titan our 7 month old puppy woke up this morning being very lethargic (more than normal) and just has a ton of mucus. he always get mucus but he just has an overwhelming amount more. he will not come to us and just literally doesn't want to move he just wants to sit. we were told to give him lemon juice to loosen the mucus and then he usually coughs it up and feels better;but not today.he wont play with his toys and doesn't even want a treat! he is still curious to what we are doing and was extremely playful yesterday with it being thanksgiving and a ton of buddies to play with. he didn't eat anything but his own dog food except a super tiny string less than the length of your thumb of plain turkey.ADIVCE?!:cry:i just want my little man happy and better.

thanks everyone for any advice you can give.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would take him to he vet asap. His lungs may get infected from all the mucus build up!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would take him to the vet also, no since taking a chance with it turning into pneumonia.

OP
titanowners

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
sorry to get graphic...we are waiting on the vet to get in...but he has thrown up a great amount of just mucus nothing in it. and he is starting to walk around with us and listen to our calls...he is still a tad bid tired looking and wont take his treat...how quickly can they get pneumonia? because this is the first time this has ever happened to titan. also any advice on what to give him to keep his mucus down other than lemon juice?(or is that the only thing?)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It can turn quickly.... I hope you were able to get him into the vet today.

L

Lucy-licious

Lemon juice helps them clear their throat by bringing up the phlegm.....if he's lethargic and listless always seek a vet. :hug:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes ... get him to the vet. Also, can I ask what food you are giving him. The only reason is because Maggie was very phlegmy when I had her on crappy Beneful. Always waking up in the morning and throwing up mucus and then when I discovered the error of my ways and switched her to Fromm, it was totally different. No more mucus!!

OP
titanowners

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
Yes ... get him to the vet. Also, can I ask what food you are giving him. The only reason is because Maggie was very phlegmy when I had her on crappy Beneful. Always waking up in the morning and throwing up mucus and then when I discovered the error of my ways and switched her to Fromm, it was totally different. No more mucus!!
t

we feed him fromm beef frittata (just recently started that a little over a week ago otherwise he was on royal canine)...we are speaking with the vet now and so far it's all good ! THANK GOODNESS!!! sounds like he may have been over exerted yesterday which caused him a lot of mucus to build up because titan is stubborn and holds it in...so we are using lemon juice which vet said is okay to give him....QUESTION: is it okay to give lemon juice daily!? and titan is allergic to benedryl so thats out. more info once done with vet. thanks everyone

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmmm..... I'm not convinced that lemon juice on a daily basis would be the best idea ... but lets call in the cavalry .... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't use lemon juice daily, that's usually just done when they over heat and have a hard time breathing, or have too much mucus in their throat. He should not have it everyday. I hope the vet can give you some answers.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Questions, is the phlegm/mucus have a color or clear? White, yellow, green or clear? yellow and green or brownish is definitely infection. Clear could be the start of infection and white is usually the color of choke when they've been over heated.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I wouldn't give lemon juice every day. Something isn't right with your pup to wake up acutely mucousy and lethargic. I agree with the others- to the vet. Please let us know what the vet thinks after he sees your sweetie.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm just chiming in to error on the side of caution. Is your vet experienced with Bully's? Often when they aren't there are problems..especially with lung issues. The lethargy and not eating would really concern me. I hope he gets better soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.