URGENT!!! Jelly like diarrhea. Help please!

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin 8/20/12, Winston 10/23/03-7/5/12
I was switching Franklins food very gradually for a few days but didn't care for the stinky farts so went straight back to his regular food. I was only mixing 20% new with 80% old for three days before going back. He went into the vet yesterday for his 2nd round of shots and was also given heartworm medication. Since bringing him home he's had runny jelly-like diarrhea after each meal which has been 3 meals now. Lunch yesterday, dinner last night and breakfast this morning. There was no blood and he is playing like normal but I'm freaking out a little now since his poop was fine yesterday morning. Could this be something to do with the shots and the heartworm medication or should I be looking for an emergency vet today? Ours is closed for Thanksgiving.

Thanks in advance for any help!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think the shots is a likely culprit. Try feeding him bland diet for now with a tablespoon of PLAIN 100% pumpkin till his tummy settles.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I hope it is the shots. Jelly like? Haven't seen that before. I agree, do the bland diet and hoping it settles.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I second Lari's opinion as well. If you don't want to do the bland diet cut back the food intake a bit. The 100% pure canned pumpkin (not pie mix) is everywhere right now.

How old is your baby? Stinky farts are pretty normal when doing a food switch especially on a young one. Their digestive systems are not as mature. Keep us posted, doesn't sound like the ER vet is needed at this point....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the replies. Desertsky, he is 13 weeks. Cali~jenn, yes, it's jelly like, maybe mucousy? He's playing, eating and drinking as normal so I'm hoping it's just the shots. I'm gonna see if the market is open so I can get the canned pumpkin but if not, would the bland diet of just boiled rice do? I only have a cut up roasted chicken at the moment. Wasn't planning on cooking as I'm going to a family dinner later and didn't food shop for the week.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Mine have always had what we call here "ugly poops" after shots. I would guess it's from the shots. Mac is due for his yearly rabies next month so I guess I better stock up the baby wipes before then. Did you notice he had lots of :fart: on his old food? I honestly believe that no matter what they eat, they will 'love you with their butts' a little (or a lot) anyway. Mine have eaten a balanced raw diet and still love me a little!

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine have always had what we call here "ugly poops" after shots. I would guess it's from the shots. Mac is due for his yearly rabies next month so I guess I better stock up the baby wipes before then. Did you notice he had lots of :fart: on his old food? I honestly believe that no matter what they eat, they will 'love you with their butts' a little (or a lot) anyway. Mine have eaten a balanced raw diet and still love me a little!

Keeping my fingers crossed and I'm gonna call the vet first thing in the morning. He wasn't farting too bad on the old food at all and I usually don't mind a bullie fart but with the new food, they were unbearable. I kept checking to see if it was poop somewhere. :barf:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
some of mine have had mucus in the poop before, not since they're pups, but I think it's a combination of the food change and the vaccines. Bland diet of rice and the chicken will be fine, make sure not to over feed. small meals 3 times a day will help. Canned plain pumpkin, a table spoon on the food for one of the three meals. Relax and enjoy your day.

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
some of mine have had mucus in the poop before, not since they're pups, but I think it's a combination of the food change and the vaccines. Bland diet of rice and the chicken will be fine, make sure not to over feed. small meals 3 times a day will help. Canned plain pumpkin, a table spoon on the food for one of the three meals. Relax and enjoy your day.

Thank you for putting me at ease. He is now running around like a lunatic puppy like nothing is wrong at all. I just picked up the canned pumpkin and will try it on his lunch at 1:30. Hope it works!

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Before I add the pumpkin, can anyone confirm this is the right stuff? Don't want to make the little guy any worse.
photo.jpg

OP
bulliemama

bulliemama

Oct 26, 2012
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
It worked! Thank you all for your help.

I was just wondering, is it a possibility that this could have started from putting Vaseline on Franklins nose? I just thought of that late last night as I was about to apply it. I'm always really cold and I keep my heat up at night and didn't wan't his nose to dry out. Wondering if I should stop that now.

Thanks again! You are life savers!:clap2:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Vaseline on his nose is fine, what ever cause's mucus in the poop had nothing to do with the Vaseline on his nose. Unless of course you been feeding it to him right out of the jar?

Probably a combination of the food change and vaccines. I always give my dogs pumpkin during the food change. It always works

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I wish I could KEEP vaseline on these dogs' noses. They're both as crunchy as a kibble and putting something on them just makes them go decorate my bed skirt with Greasy Nose Wipes. I'm going to get some of that Aquaphor stuff everyone here uses and see if that helps......

Welcome!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman had a looooong jelly poop the other day. It happened right after he ate a DVD cover. I found most of the plastic pieces - he is good at spitting out stuff like that. But I think he swallowed a few tiny pieces. Next day - jelly butt. So I started with pumpkin in every meal and that helped.

Just keep in mind that when that mucus happens, its a good thing because it alerts you that something is probably irritating his intestines or whatnots, so just make sure he didnt eat anything he shouldnt have (including food).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online