Help Needed! Herman back to the vet

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I went to PetSmart to find one for his crate but they didnt have one. I have one here that I use that I was thinking of sticking in his crate until I get one specifically for pets - do you think that will be safe?

Abby has always used mine, sometimes she even lets me use it :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea i would say a heating pad is a heating pad. i hope he is feeling better today for thanksgiving. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he is 8 months

wondering if it could be a grow-spurt..... Banks did this and we fear HD, which she has a mild case of, but she limped a lot for a period of time before she was one

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sending good thoughts to Herman today. Herman's pretty boisterous so maybe he just pulled a muscle or something? I sure hope so. An Xray will help. I"m glad you're getting one right away.

I know my Dynamic Duo will be getting a BOATLOAD of turkey today --- in spite of the ensuing, toxic gas cloud I'll be sitting in. I don't care. They LOVE turkey and Bea's a huge fan of stuffing. My little Butterball Bea loves BREAD.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
wondering if it could be a grow-spurt..... Banks did this and we fear HD, which she has a mild case of, but she limped a lot for a period of time before she was one

that's what his breeder says - she said that the larger males are always going through bouts of limping, then they magically just disappear. he's limped before and I know it usually stops in a couple of days, but i just figured he hurt himself those times. i know his joints are popping all the time and the vet told me he's still growing so to not worry.

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] the vet tech said something similar today, she said "Herman this is why you're limping because you're always jumping all over the place!" LOL just as he was jumping up on her.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
that's what his breeder says - she said that the larger males are always going through bouts of limping, then they magically just disappear. he's limped before and I know it usually stops in a couple of days, but i just figured he hurt himself those times. i know his joints are popping all the time and the vet told me he's still growing so to not worry.

Oh that's good to know. I never thought of that but it's true; these dogs grow SO FAST and get SO BIG! Why wouldn't there be "Growing Pains"?! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - spot on!

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] the vet tech said something similar today, she said "Herman this is why you're limping because you're always jumping all over the place!" LOL just as he was jumping up on her.

I guess it's time for some manners lessons for little Herman. When you've got that handled, can we borrow him so Bo can learn? Jumping is his favorite sport and his love of it is ENTIRELY my fault. I let him get away with it and he's actually rewarded (with negative attention --- but it's still attention) when he does it. I gotta stop that. Jumping up on people around here isn't just rude -- it could mean a broken hip! (I live in a retirement community)

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Well the vet didnt find anything - which is always good. He's still limping though, but not as much as he was on Tuesday. And he's not stopping and laying down every few feet like he was before.

She recommended I take him to an orthopedic vet who may be able to see something in the xrays that she doesnt. She was concerned because she said she knew of a King Charles Cavalier who had similar issues (just randomly would start limping and wailing) and it turned out to be neurological.

I'm just relieved to know there is nothing broken or out of place there. I think it's just probably a sprain. So I'm going to keep giving him the Rimadyl and give him a few more days. But I have the numbers of two orthopedics on hand and I might give them a call to see what they think.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Well the vet didnt find anything - which is always good. He's still limping though, but not as much as he was on Tuesday. And he's not stopping and laying down every few feet like he was before.

She recommended I take him to an orthopedic vet who may be able to see something in the xrays that she doesnt. She was concerned because she said she knew of a King Charles Cavalier who had similar issues (just randomly would start limping and wailing) and it turned out to be neurological.

I'm just relieved to know there is nothing broken or out of place there. I think it's just probably a sprain. So I'm going to keep giving him the Rimadyl and give him a few more days. But I have the numbers of two orthopedics on hand and I might give them a call to see what they think.

Glad he is starting to feel better

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.