Help Needed! Herman back to the vet

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
What's funny is when I walked into the vet tonight, the receptionist said "Herman! he's my favorite! he's always here!" LOL

Anyway, a few weeks ago Herman was limping so I took him to the vet. He said that his shoulder seemed a little stiff, so he gave him a shot of something and some Rimadyl. The next day he was like a new dog - running and playing and seemed so happy. So he's been OK for these weeks. He walks funny in general, so I watch him every day to see if he's limping but it's hard to tell. I do know that when he wakes up from sleeping that same leg seems a little stiff.

Then today in the morning, he was fine. I was upstairs for about an hour and went back down and he was in his bed sleeping. He slept for hours - I thought he was just cold so I kept covering him with blankets. After a few hours I coaxed him out and he could barely walk. It was the same leg giving him trouble, except this time much worse. He would only take a few steps and then would just do the little butt up in the air pose like he just couldnt go any further.

That was my sign to rush him to the doctor.

So the vet (different than the one that saw him the first time, but has treated him before) says she didnt see/feel/notice anything. She gave him a Lyme test (just in case), but it was negative. She wants to do xrays on Friday morning - and I will have to leave him there all day (a big freak out will happen at 8:45am). She's cute though, before we left she told Herman "I get to spend all day with you!!!" LOL

I feel so bad for him and I'm carrying him all over the place. Any idea or anyone have similar symptoms?

On a lighter note, he's going to the spa tomorrow!! I will be staying while he's getting groomed, of course LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I don't have any experience with this, but just wanted to say I hope Herman is okay. Hugs and prayers for Herman. Bulldozer and Blossom also send their love.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I most certainly will keep Herman, you & family in prayer that the problem
is found ASAP and has an easy cure.

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hope it is something little. Leaving them for X-rays scares me too. Well, just leaving them at all is tough. :(

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks everyone. He wasnt doing much better this morning. He had to pee really bad, but was too afraid for me to pick him up, so he ran (limped) from me and had an accident inside. While he was running I saw he was dragging his other leg. But for the most part after I gave him his Rimadyl, I didnt have to carry him. He went to the spa today and tried so hard to be his cute adorable self, but every few steps he had to lay down. THEN after laying down on the sidewalk for a minute or two, he walked to the car and jumped in. So I don't know if he's hurting or if it's weak or what :(

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Will be thinking of you and Herman, hope everything turns out okay.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i wish i had something to tell ya but all i can do is hope he gets better soon :hug:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
praying it isn't anything more serious than a pulled muscle :pray2:

Will he lay on a heating pad?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone. He wasnt doing much better this morning. He had to pee really bad, but was too afraid for me to pick him up, so he ran (limped) from me and had an accident inside. While he was running I saw he was dragging his other leg. But for the most part after I gave him his Rimadyl, I didnt have to carry him. He went to the spa today and tried so hard to be his cute adorable self, but every few steps he had to lay down. THEN after laying down on the sidewalk for a minute or two, he walked to the car and jumped in. So I don't know if he's hurting or if it's weak or what :(

how old is Herman now?

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
praying for Herman and you -hope the X-rays clear things up it is tough when you know something is not right with your Compadre and there is nothing you can do to help

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Continuing our prayers over you, your family and Herman.

It's tough battling things dxed and known but sometimes NOT KNOWING
is even worse...my heart goes out to you knowing how scary this is for
you and how much you hurt knowing he hurts.

Give Herman soft hugs from me & Brutus
:angelheart:

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
praying it isn't anything more serious than a pulled muscle :pray2:

Will he lay on a heating pad?

I went to PetSmart to find one for his crate but they didnt have one. I have one here that I use that I was thinking of sticking in his crate until I get one specifically for pets - do you think that will be safe?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online