Help Needed! Little worried... Smegma or what?

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I've seen a little more of that dark yellowish liquid (Smegma??) coming out of Ulysses' private for the past 2 weeks. I tried cleaning him twice a day and it seemed to stop for a few days. But now since last Sunday this stuff is kind of dripping out of his pee pee. I checked and the outside part looks a little inflamed and just now when I cleaned him it seemed to hurt him. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow cause I'm pretty sure he has a little infection going on in there. Any ideas or experience with this??

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
He is now 1 year and 4 months and not neutered yet.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
My boy has it....always has. There is a drop there and it gets on his legs ( he is white, gross!) ...I used to worry....but once I ruled out an infection with my vet, it is just his way. Wilbur is 1 1/2, neutered. He pees normally etc, and doesn't seem to be in pain. I wipe his privates as part of normal cleaning since I know he can't reach there, and all else is well. Maybe he will out grow it. My vet said it is just his normal cleaning mechanism.
so yes, Wilbur has it too and it is ok. I hope Ulysses is ok and it is just his normal way too... Does he pee normal amount/colour/frequency?

Good luck and let us know!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
My boy has it....always has. There is a drop there and it gets on his legs ( he is white, gross!) ...I used to worry....but once I ruled out an infection with my vet, it is just his way. Wilbur is 1 1/2, neutered. He pees normally etc, and doesn't seem to be in pain. I wipe his privates as part of normal cleaning since I know he can't reach there, and all else is well. Maybe he will out grow it. My vet said it is just his normal cleaning mechanism.
so yes, Wilbur has it too and it is ok. I hope Ulysses is ok and it is just his normal way too... Does he pee normal amount/colour/frequency?

Good luck and let us know!

Thank you so much for your answer, it makes me feel so much better. Yeah, he is peeing just as usual, doesn't seem to have any troubles. Just today when I cleaned him he kind of reacted as if it hurt, so that's why I wanna make sure there is no infection or something. How often do you clean your boy down there? I usually do it once a day but since he's been having more of that stuff I do it up to 4 times...maybe I made him sore?? I do it with baby wipes usually and try to be as delicate as possible. BTW Your babies are gorgeous! :)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank you so much for your answer, it makes me feel so much better. Yeah, he is peeing just as usual, doesn't seem to have any troubles. Just today when I cleaned him he kind of reacted as if it hurt, so that's why I wanna make sure there is no infection or something. How often do you clean your boy down there? I usually do it once a day but since he's been having more of that stuff I do it up to 4 times...maybe I made him sore?? I do it with baby wipes usually and try to be as delicate as possible. BTW Your babies are gorgeous! :)
Thanks! Your shot of Ulysses reminds me of Wilbur...they have a similar look in their face! Bullies are the best!

ok I only really wipe down there once a day or every second day. I don't pull back the skin at all... ( I don't expose his penis, I just wipe the very tip....i figure nature does its thing and it is a "self cleaning unit"). I notice there is usually quite a " drop " accumulated right after he pees. I also use unscented baby wipes. Maybe Ulysses is a little irritated from being wiped? But for sure take him to get checked...the vet will be able to tell you right away if something is wrong. Then you will know. Maybe he is just like Wilbur and we just have to wipe their legs!;)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I use a wet paper towel on Jack when ever I see the stuff, and he's not a touchy feely kind of guy, also I just clean the outside sheath

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi [MENTION=4663]Maife[/MENTION], just wondering how Ulysses made out at the vet? Was it an infection?:)

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Hi @Maife, just wondering how Ulysses made out at the vet? Was it an infection?:)

Hi! well, we went to the vet and she told us that it was definitely a little sore and infected, but she didn't think it was from the wipes or me cleaning too much :whew: . but because he squads too much and his pecker touches everything on the floor, and recelty since there are all these autum leaves lying everywhere he might have gotten a tiny little cut or something. So she recommended me to clean him once a day with a wipe and then a little iodine and on Monday we gotta go back to see how it looks. Today it looks a little red outside but that's pretty much it. :)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi! well, we went to the vet and she told us that it was definitely a little sore and infected, but she didn't think it was from the wipes or me cleaning too much :whew: . but because he squads too much and his pecker touches everything on the floor, and recelty since there are all these autum leaves lying everywhere he might have gotten a tiny little cut or something. So she recommended me to clean him once a day with a wipe and then a little iodine and on Monday we gotta go back to see how it looks. Today it looks a little red outside but that's pretty much it. :)

hi! I am so glad you had him checked out...you know that is interesting. Wilbur never learned to lift his leg and he totally squats to pee. I wonder if that is also why he has smegma all the time!
thank you for the follow up and I hope all is well!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
hi! I am so glad you had him checked out...you know that is interesting. Wilbur never learned to lift his leg and he totally squats to pee. I wonder if that is also why he has smegma all the time!

That is actually really interesting. Now I'm thinking that since they squad too much to pee, maybe they pick up more dirt and bacteria and that's why they gotta produce more of that stuff to keep everything clean... sounds very possible to me. I'm gonna try to take him out to places with less leaves and stuff, thing is that he wont do any of his businesses on concrete. Is gotta be as deep in the bushes as possible of at least a little bit of grass... so picky!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses

Momma I wanted to update you on the whole wee-wee issue. Ulysses had definitely a mild infection, and when we went back to the vet she gave me a sort of liquid chlorhexidine to flush his "pocket" once a day for a week. He was skepitc at first but now I know he'll miss it ;) . He is all better now! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online