Help Needed! Found some bald spots on Ginger

Gingersmom

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger
So Ginger is 7 months old now. Has been quite healthy up until now. We've noticed some round bald spots. One under her neck, which is the biggest one (about a half a dollar size), and two on her back (dime size). They look a little red, but not real bad. Not scabbed or anything. The biggest symptom of them is the hair missing. None of our other dogs have any symptoms so I don't think it's contagious to them. My husband said he noticed one of them a few weeks ago but it didn't look like much to alarm him. Ugh wish he would have told me!! They aren't easy to find, the rest of her fur kind of covers them up. Calling the vet in the morning, but curious what all of you thought. I know they can have a lot of allergy issues. But nothing new to her diet. My poor baby. :crying:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be mange from what you describe, a skin scrape at the vet is needed. Please let us know what the vet says and I think you need a hug :hug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko had small bold spots at that age too and without doing any scrapes the vet diagnosed them as demodex. Only thing we did was switched him to raw food and they were cured in about 2 months.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So Ginger is 7 months old now. Has been quite healthy up until now. We've noticed some round bald spots. One under her neck, which is the biggest one (about a half a dollar size), and two on her back (dime size). They look a little red, but not real bad. Not scabbed or anything. The biggest symptom of them is the hair missing. None of our other dogs have any symptoms so I don't think it's contagious to them. My husband said he noticed one of them a few weeks ago but it didn't look like much to alarm him. Ugh wish he would have told me!! They aren't easy to find, the rest of her fur kind of covers them up. Calling the vet in the morning, but curious what all of you thought. I know they can have a lot of allergy issues. But nothing new to her diet. My poor baby. :crying:

I agree a skin scraping is in order from the vet. It could be nothing but if its mange you want to attack it now! I would try adding some yogurt 1tbsp plain yougurt to her dinner or breakfast. If itss mange you need some probitoticss in her diet. Pleae keep us psoted :hug:

OP
Gingersmom

Gingersmom

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger
Ok, so we are back from the vet! She comes in and says it can be a few things. Ringworm, demodex, or scabies. Ick all the way! But they did a skin scraping and a test for ringworm. The ringworm test I guess can take up to 10 days, so we won't have those back for a while. However she did see the demodex mites in the scraping, so she feels very confident that's what it is. They have put her on a medication that I give her once a day for solid month.

Thanks for all the advice and support, I will go ahead and pick up some plain yogurt to put in her meals. I think that's a good idea. My poor baby I felt so bad for her. She was so excited to be at the vets until after the scraping, then it was like I don't like you people so much anymore!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Ok, so we are back from the vet! She comes in and says it can be a few things. Ringworm, demodex, or scabies. Ick all the way! But they did a skin scraping and a test for ringworm. The ringworm test I guess can take up to 10 days, so we won't have those back for a while. However she did see the demodex mites in the scraping, so she feels very confident that's what it is. They have put her on a medication that I give her once a day for solid month.

Thanks for all the advice and support, I will go ahead and pick up some plain yogurt to put in her meals. I think that's a good idea. My poor baby I felt so bad for her. She was so excited to be at the vets until after the scraping, then it was like I don't like you people so much anymore!!

Awwww poor baby!! She'll recover just fine. You want to do things to help boost her immune system - that will help her fight it off as well.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon has the same thing on his back, they diagnosed it as staff and gave us a shampoo for him. We used it three weeks and it didn't fix anything so now he is on antibiotics, check between her toes Bacon had redness in between his toes too.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we noticed a small bald spot on Lola quite a while ago and it progressed to chin acne and itchy paws and a chicken allergy. might be the start of an allergy. if your pup has eaten chicken forever, cut it out of the diet and they might go away? just my experience . good luck :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Gingersmom

Gingersmom

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger
I am still concerned about allergies, since they are known for such skin issues. We feed her a grain free dry diet that has turkey. Then we mix in some grain free wet food that is chicken. So if this doesn't clear up with the medication might have to look at diet for sure. Anything else besides yogurt that I can do to help boost her immune system?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I am still concerned about allergies, since they are known for such skin issues. We feed her a grain free dry diet that has turkey. Then we mix in some grain free wet food that is chicken. So if this doesn't clear up with the medication might have to look at diet for sure. Anything else besides yogurt that I can do to help boost her immune system?

I'd cut out all poultry as well and yes, put her on a good, daily probiotic.

Brutus had small bare spots and thinning hair all down his back and sores.

After several foods, I settled on Avoderm's Red Meat Meal w/Potatoes.
Grain free...had some guests this week who'd known him from former
owner could not believe the health of his coat and also noticed much less
allergy symptoms. He's been on it 3 months...found at Petsmart & other
pet stores and about $48 per 35 lbs but very concentrated so lasts awhile.

Many bullies here do great on Fromm's Beef Frittata, I believe it has to be
ordered from Internet but not certain of this fact. If Avoderm hadn't worked
so well for Brutus, Fromm's would've been next to try! Note...it takes about
3 months to transition and stay on new food to really ascertain it's effects,
good or bad.

Avoid grains in other ways & in other things such as avoiding OATMEAL shampoos.

Good luck, you'll find the right food and she will thrive...remember to slowly
change the foods over as you transition her.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if the vet saw the mites then that would probably be the cause of the bald spots but that does not mean that a better diet would not help speed the healing or help with not having them overtake the immune system again. i would think about maybe a people probiotic and i think vit c and green tea is supposed to boost the immune system to. i think some people used neem oil on the fur to kill the mites. also what food are you feeding and what canned food? some bullies dont do well with bird as in chicken turkey and such. each bully seems to have a protein or two they do best on. good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.