Help Needed! Question about joints problems...

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
So my trainer came to an in house session with Izzy and she noticed my puppy jumping on the couch and back on the floor without any problem and she mentioned to me that this is not good for the dog in the long run because it could cause problems in the future.

i also read threads here about people being extra careful with their puppies and not letting go up and down the stairs. I live on th second floor of an apartment complex and since we got Izzy (at 9 weeks old) she has been going up and down the stairs (about 20 steps) 5 + times a day (every time she goes potty or we go for walks) with no problem.

The couch just started recently, about 2 weeks ago where she is able to reach it. I'm okay to stop her from doing that but how about the stairs? Do i need to carry her too every time we go potty???? How careful do I need to be?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Your trainer is correct, do not let them jump up or down from the couch or go down stars, as this can cause them problems with their joints. They have growth plates that are soft and do not harden all the way until around one year old. So limit their jumping and going up and down stairs until they are at least one year of age.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes they are correct. I tell everyone to be as careful as they possibly can. It's not going up so much as going down that is the issue. I mean seriously you cannot monitor every move, but places that are steep you may want to gate off.

My hubby built some ramps in the backyard where we did not want them to jump down from. But try telling that to my Tidus who can leap up and down like a bouncing buckaroo!

imag015.jpgimag016.jpg

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
i moved to first floor because of this problem, cant carry up and down every time when he weight 60 lbs...

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
OMG :( I feel so bad now. Izzy has been up and down inumerous times since we got her. I thought it would be good for her to get stronger but I guess I was wrong... Hopefully no major damage was done. I will start carrying her down as much as i can.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't let my guys jump off of anything, sofa, beds, steps etc. I do have one single step that they go up and down to get off the deck. Also a gated back yard to go on the walks or get to the car.
Bulldogs are front heavy and it takes an awful lot for them to control the balance when going on downward levels. They are proportionality heavy chested, make sense now? hence the reason they don't make good swimmers. David's right about the growth plates, that forward weight puts added pressure on those plates.
don't beat yourself up, if it's something you didn't know about there's nothing you could do. Now that you know about it, that's the difference.

give that pup a big hug from us.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I don't let my guys jump off of anything, sofa, beds, steps etc. I do have one single step that they go up and down to get off the deck. Also a gated back yard to go on the walks or get to the car.
Bulldogs are front heavy and it takes an awful lot for them to control the balance when going on downward levels. They are proportionality heavy chested, make sense now? hence the reason they don't make good swimmers. David's right about the growth plates, that forward weight puts added pressure on those plates.
don't beat yourself up, if it's something you didn't know about there's nothing you could do. Now that you know about it, that's the difference.

give that pup a big hug from us.

Will do, thank god that she is on the smaller size so hopefully it wasnt too hard on her this past months of activities. I better rethink my routine since I wear black suit to work everyday, having to carry her will need me to change before I take her out to go potty.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Will do, thank god that she is on the smaller size so hopefully it wasnt too hard on her this past months of activities. I better rethink my routine since I wear black suit to work everyday, having to carry her will need me to change before I take her out to go potty.

ooouuuuuu the black suit... ieyyyy I know the feeling. salt and pepper look

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
When Tonka was a puppy my vet told me that going up and down stairs wouldn't be a problem or cause issues??? I can see how high beds etc. might put added pressure, but regular sized stairs? Now I feel bad too, since Tonka is now 16 months and has been going up and down stairs in our home since he was little as well as up and down on the furniture. :( Do I need to worry about his joints now too?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6190]Izzy's Mom[/MENTION] you can get a groomers smock for around $15 to $25 dollars, that may help so you won't have to change every time you carry her.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I have had Olive going down the stairs also. We try not to let her jump off the couch or a bed but she's been going down the stairs for months. She will be a year next month. Do I start carrying her down the stairs now?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5301]Trod1[/MENTION] sense she is going to be one next month, she probably is fine now.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I am so glad I found this site six months before I brought Zeus home. I had read this on the forum and have not allowed Zeus to jump on or off furniture or go up and down stairs. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I think it was a forum with a comment from you on this. Thank you!! This is such a great forum for anything you need to know about a bully. You guys are the best!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3913]wheezer[/MENTION] thank you for being here, this is what makes this forum so great, all of us helping each other and being one big bully family.

Most Reactions