Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Crazy!!!! I haven't thought of some of these things yet, because Remi is pretty much in my presence at all times, (puppy!) unless he's in the crate. We've initiated a new process for your reasons + the collar wound - by removing all collars/harnesses while he's in there. (Live and learn!!) Remi does seem to like the harness because he associates it with going someplace. The harness fits Remi fairly well these days; in the beginning, I was nervous about him slipping out of it. We do try to keep it fairly loose so it doesn't agitate him though. He seems fairly secure in it, and I feel like I can control him well without hurting him. Regardless, I don't really worry about him getting free on me. For me, it's the safest way to leave the house.

We got Remi microchipped 2 days after we got him, thank god. I'm guessing it won't help much against theft though.

I really like the security of the harness on my babies too .. and thankfully they also associate the harness with going for a walk and get excited when the see the harness come out but still don't like it enough to run around in it LOL they stay right next to me when the harness is on ... guess they have taken their walking lessons to heart and when the harness is on you stay right next to mom ... now that I've thought about it, I need to pat them on the head because they are being good babies, it's not that they don't like them it's because they are in the walking mode when they are on!!! did you see that light come on over my head?!?

As far as the micro-chip, it can't keep anyone from stealing our babies but then again a collar with ID tags won't stop them either, BUT at the vets office they get scanned and the info comes up registered to you it raises red flags

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
As far as the micro-chip, it can't keep anyone from stealing our babies but then again a collar with ID tags won't stop them either, BUT at the vets office they get scanned and the info comes up registered to you it raises red flags

Do some vets regularly scan dogs that are new you think?

Awesome idea about the harness/staying close to mom btw. We worked on that actually today at the park.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Do some vets regularly scan dogs that are new you think?

Awesome idea about the harness/staying close to mom btw. We worked on that actually today at the park.

I'm not sure if they do or not, but depending on how the person said they got the dog i.e. I found him or something along those lines I would hope they would scan them ... but also if someone took one of my dogs I would have flyers in every pet store, vets office, telephone pole basically every place possible trying to get them back and hopefully the flyers would make vet staff and other places more aware if a dog that looked like mine showed up they could and would scan ... I would hope!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm not sure if they do or not, but depending on how the person said they got the dog i.e. I found him or something along those lines I would hope they would scan them ... but also if someone took one of my dogs I would have flyers in every pet store, vets office, telephone pole basically every place possible trying to get them back and hopefully the flyers would make vet staff and other places more aware if a dog that looked like mine showed up they could and would scan ... I would hope!

Here's hoping our bullies never get lost or stolen. Here here!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My boy is chipped, too, but I keep tags on him at all times. While theft is always a possibility, I tend to be more worried about him getting out. Although the likelihood of this happening is very slim since he is always with us, usually stuck to me like glue, but it could happen (natural disaster, fire, house burglarized, etc). If he did get out, I know that he wouldn't go very far away. Hopefully, whoever finds him would immediately call me since I'd know I'd be frantic. If someone found him with no collar or tags then A) they won't know who he belongs to so they can't call; B) would have to take to vet or shelter for ID, which could take a day or longer to get notification that he is found/safe; C) finder would be inclined to think he was abandoned since he has no tags.

While chipping is important, it usually doesn't assure a fast return or quick notification that you loved pet has been found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
My boy is chipped, too, but I keep tags on him at all times. While theft is always a possibility, I tend to be more worried about him getting out. Although the likelihood of this happening is very slim since he is always with us, usually stuck to me like glue, but it could happen (natural disaster, fire, house burglarized, etc). If he did get out, I know that he wouldn't go very far away. Hopefully, whoever finds him would immediately call me since I'd know I'd be frantic. If someone found him with no collar or tags then A) they won't know who he belongs to so they can't call; B) would have to take to vet or shelter for ID, which could take a day or longer to get notification that he is found/safe; C) finder would be inclined to think he was abandoned since he has no tags.

While chipping is important, it usually doesn't assure a fast return or quick notification that you loved pet has been found.

Augh, very good points. I feel better with the tags myself.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yunas collar plastic clip got stuck in-between the crate wires once. Luckily I was right there to hear her first cry for help. I think I was sleeping about 10-15 ft from her, can't remember! Anyway, when I came to see why she helped she was pulling against it trying to get free while choking herself! It was no easy task trying to get her to go forward so I could get it off her, her instinct was to pull away thus choking herself worse. No more collars in their crates. If I had been 2 rooms away I may not have heard her yelp!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Tank's collar caused the same problem. Nylon collars can harbor bacteria and some dogs are allergic to nylon. I know some on here say no collar in the house, but I just don't like not having a collar with ID on my boy, should he ever get out. Our remedy to the skin problem was a good quality leather collar. No problems since! I found a rolled leather collar which work well with his thick, but short neck.

We founds ours on eBay. Great price, great quality.

We bought this collar and it came in today. The package was kind of destroyed, but somehow the collar held up. Can you believe I was totally shocked by what I saw?? First of all, the collar is very round, which makes sense for what it's supposed to do: which is NOT irritate your dog's fur and skin. Yet, still, I was surprised it wasn't flat. #2, I was a little disappointed that the color was so red/warm (not so much brown) and that's really bothering my designer OCD. #3, the ring is too small to clip the leash hook on to. Seriously??

I was going to keep the color until we hit issue #3 - I'm going to have to return this thing :( Maybe I can request one with a bigger ring.

EDIT: Okay, I think we're going to try to cut the collar shorter instead. It's only a $10 collar, so going through the hassle of a return seems silly. Sorry for venting, I'm totally OCD!!

EDIT 2: Too afraid to snip the color, so I think instead I will buy a bigger split ring so I can hook the leash onto that instead of the collar ring. Auuuugh. Annoying, but the look of the collar is growing on me.

Here are some photos...

recollar.jpgring.jpg

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The color looks good with your babies fur colors! We got more of a brown/tan. I think they had them available in different colors. I didn't have any problems with the ring size, but my boy is grown and required a 22" collar so the hardware is bigger. Hopefully the leather will remedy the skin irritation.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
The color looks good with your babies fur colors! We got more of a brown/tan. I think they had them available in different colors. I didn't have any problems with the ring size, but my boy is grown and required a 22" collar so the hardware is bigger. Hopefully the leather will remedy the skin irritation.

What's most important is that the area is healing up really nicely; it's almost gone, which is great. I think his fur is just stained at the moment. The most annoying thing ever is that I contacted the shop and they were like, we've never had a single complaint so therefore whatever you are saying doesn't matter to me. So glad I was nice in my reply, because he recommended we cut and burn the leather, so I will give that a try. The collar really is growing on me; just not being able to click our giant leash onto the collar is irritating. This retractable leash is made for 100 lb dogs, but the guy said he has a 130 pound dog, so it must be this incredibly large leash hook.

EDIT: Okay, finally fixed the issue. I was able to cut the collar and burn the edge to seal it, and now I can successfully click on the leash hook.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear the wound is healing! That collar does look great.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.