General Question Food Toppers, Supplements, & Oils

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Brutus has been on Blue Buffalo Basic for Puppies, I got Blue Buffalo Wilderness for Puppies today & will slowly start introducing it tomorrow. Last week I bought him plain natural yogurt, and have been putting it in his food every other day, & only at dinner (he loves it:p) I also got him salmon oil today, and will start introducing that as well. Brutus was fine on his previous food, however I wanted him on a better food, and want to be proactive versus trying to fix a problem when he gets older. I know that salmon oil is good for his skin, coat, and if memory serves me correctly his immune system. I thought yogurt would just be a nice treat and make our baby happy! Right now we feed an all natural yogurt banana 5 calorie treat, but plan to also add frozen green beens. Does anyone else have any idea or reasons they have other things they feed? I'm completely open to having a happy healthy Brutus from the beginning.

Also, Brutus was 26 pounds two weeks ago at the vet, does that sound normal to everyone? He will be 5 months on Black Friday (which I won't be participating in lol)

Thank you for any input XXX

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love proactive people!! I do frozen green beans and carrots as well as some fresh banana.... no real reason, just as a nice treat for them. And his weight seems good for his age.... PICS, please?!! :D

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carrots would be good, since I happen to like carrots and not green beans! Thanks for your help :)

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
And of course here are some pictures 🐾🐾

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353032928.437265.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353032940.517961.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353032959.451455.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353032989.501461.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... he is adorable.... look at those PAWS.... love the baseball glove paws!!

thanks

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I swear every time I think he is growing into his paws, they just get bigger 😏

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I give many random things as toppers, like Christine said with the bananna, maybe a vitamin C on occasion, folic acid to any bullies I would like to breed in near future, UTI supplement, NuVet supplement, yogurt, cottage cheese, green beans, salmon oil, fish oil pills, sliced string cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, pumpkin...

plus I do home cook too so I am able to use up things that would go bad in my veggie drawer, and the LOVE brocolli too-- I alternate that with Fromm Beef Fritatta.

please note I do NOT, I repeat NOT put all these things in their bowl everyday!!! I mix it up, use what I have on hand, then get some more. They are spoiled but they love me so they deserve it. :heart:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I feed my two Fromms Beef Fritata, twice a day, with Fromms Pâté wet food and kibble in the morning, and just kibble in the evening. For their treats, I give them plain unsweetened yogurt 2 or 3 times a week, I mix this with either fresh strawberries, or cut up apples, they bananas, frozen blueberries, oatmeal, baby carrots, green beans, cheese strings, cooked broccoli, for supplements, I give them salmon oil, cranberry pill, and apple cider vinegar.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I give many random things as toppers, like Christine said with the bananna, maybe a vitamin C on occasion, folic acid to any bullies I would like to breed in near future, UTI supplement, NuVet supplement, yogurt, cottage cheese, green beans, salmon oil, fish oil pills, sliced string cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, pumpkin...

plus I do home cook too so I am able to use up things that would go bad in my veggie drawer, and the LOVE brocolli too-- I alternate that with Fromm Beef Fritatta.

please note I do NOT, I repeat NOT put all these things in their bowl everyday!!! I mix it up, use what I have on hand, then get some more. They are spoiled but they love me so they deserve it. :heart:

I have only been doing on an every other day with yogurt, and begin the salmon oil tonight. I like the idea of using stuff I have on hand too, we seem to buy LOTS of veggies when we go to the grocery store (I HATE going, so we only go once a month and stock pile) but can't eat them fast enough sometimes.

I feed my two Fromms Beef Fritata, twice a day, with Fromms Pâté wet food and kibble in the morning, and just kibble in the evening. For their treats, I give them plain unsweetened yogurt 2 or 3 times a week, I mix this with either fresh strawberries, or cut up apples, they bananas, frozen blueberries, oatmeal, baby carrots, green beans, cheese strings, cooked broccoli, for supplements, I give them salmon oil, cranberry pill, and apple cider vinegar.

I want to add ACV, but wasn't sure how it would go over with my two JRTs. We have one huge automatic water thing, so all of the kiddos would have to have it. I know Brutus would eat ANYTHING, I mean eating his favorite past time, not sure if the girls would eat carrots though I would love it if they would!

Thank you, all of you for the ideas! I want to make sure he is getting all vitamins and nutrients that our growing little boy needs :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can try all the food suggestions including the carrots, and the apple cider vinegar for the Jack Russell's as well , it won't hurt them, if they don't like it, they wont eat it, but I also had a JRT' for 14 years, and they are like EB in a lot of ways, they are stubborn, very smart, and will eat just about anything. When it comes to foods , treats, supplements, and over the counter medications, what is safe for humans, is usually safe for dogs, with a few exceptions ( dogs can't have grapes, onions, chocolate, ) also common sense prevails for supplements like anything else too much of a good thing , even if its healthy can be bad, should watch the amounts for some things such as vitamins and supplements, and over the counter medications such as Benedryl, and give according to the wight of your dog. If you are not sure, you can always ask your vet.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
My oldest JRT Mary Kate is 10, and my youngest Marlee Mae is 3. Mary has SUPER bad allergies, so much so they changed her diagnosis to asthma. She is on predezone forever now :( Both of them are picky eaters when it comes to treats, but not about kibble. Mary actually is on a diet, but a lot of that is because of the medicine. I'm hoping they will take on the carrotts, green beans, ect. I know all of them love cheese. Of course who doesn't!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I just noticed you changed your avatar and my baby is in the picture!!! I honestly do think Noah spending so much time playing with Remy for the first few months of his life is why he attaches himself to Skyler and Tanner every chance he gets.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just noticed you changed your avatar and my baby is in the picture!!! I honestly do think Noah spending so much time playing with Remy for the first few months of his life is why he attaches himself to Skyler and Tanner every chance he gets.

Likely so! The kids are a big part of the cuddles and lovins here!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Brutus has been on Blue Buffalo Basic for Puppies, I got Blue Buffalo Wilderness for Puppies today & will slowly start introducing it tomorrow. Last week I bought him plain natural yogurt, and have been putting it in his food every other day, & only at dinner (he loves it:p) I also got him salmon oil today, and will start introducing that as well. Brutus was fine on his previous food, however I wanted him on a better food, and want to be proactive versus trying to fix a problem when he gets older. I know that salmon oil is good for his skin, coat, and if memory serves me correctly his immune system. I thought yogurt would just be a nice treat and make our baby happy! Right now we feed an all natural yogurt banana 5 calorie treat, but plan to also add frozen green beens. Does anyone else have any idea or reasons they have other things they feed? I'm completely open to having a happy healthy Brutus from the beginning.

Also, Brutus was 26 pounds two weeks ago at the vet, does that sound normal to everyone? He will be 5 months on Black Friday (which I won't be participating in lol)

Thank you for any input XXX

Good for you being PROACTIVE...lucky Brutus! I have a Brutus also.

Be sure the 5 calorie yogurt DOES NOT contain any aspartame, equal, etc
for him or you...very bad stuff!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online