General Question Allergy question

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I am contemplating changing Tank's food, as he is showing signs of allergies but I'd like some opinions from the EB Family first. He is 11 months and eats Fromm's Beef Frittata. Lately, I've noticed more tearing, red eyes, pinker chin and pinker paws. His vet noticed it too and suggested Zrytec twice a day. I don't really see any difference since he started the meds, but I do notice that the redness is always better in the morning and worsens as the day goes by. My thinking is that IF it is food and he eats approx. every 12 hours, wouldn't his symptoms be about the same all the time? Airborne allergies seems more likely to me, since he is outside several times during the day, but has a 7-8 hour time span at night that he is inside, and during this time his symptoms improve. But since we've already had a hard freeze, that takes pollens, grass and trees off the allergen list at the moment and we have no carpeting which reduces dust. Which again, brings me back to food. I am also considering having him tested, but wanted to wait until he is a little older, as I understand that will give truer results. I would truly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wish I had some great answer for you but since it's a food question I'm going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she is great with food questions. good luck I hope things get better soon!

M

mabel lou

Omg that is exactly what happens to my girl. Exact same symptoms. I actually took a picture of her to make sure I wasn't going crazy and I documented the time of her feedings and when I began noticing the change in the color of her eyes and skin. I have her on Natures Balance LID to limit what I believe is a food allergy and since being on this I have noticed her skin not being so pink but her eyes still get very red as the day goes by. I am beginning to believe she may be allergic to potato as every food I have given her I made sure had salmon and potato in it except this bad I got recently was without salmon (thought maybe it was the salmon she was allergic to) and yet I got Duck and potato so now I am kinda leaning more towards the potato she is allergic to,hmmmm but would sweet potato and potato kind of be the same category as potatoes? Interested to hear the outcome of what you find.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Check your food ingredients. Alfalfa, Rosemary. flaxseed all are grasses. Grains are grasses. I found by getting a food with NOTHING that resembled a grass or grain helped my Zelda (RIP) and made a big difference. It was the only thing that did. The only brand I could find that had NO grains, herbs or grasses was Taste of the Wild. I know it is not a favorite here but their Pacific Stream was the only thing that worked for her. I didn't try the other varieties because they have more protein than the salmon (or the lamb) and I've got smaller sized breeds of Bullies that shouldn't have any more protein than what's in the Pacific Stream. I currently have 4 bullies - one EB, on Frenchie and 2 that are essentially crosses between those 2 breeds. None of them have or have ever had any health issues at all no less ones that could be attributed to food except maybe the EB pup's tear stains.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I go through this with Banks too.... she has a LOT of environmental allergies. Zytec does nothing for her - I use benedryl 1mg perpound up to 3 times a day and the redness does lessen and the paw licking stops

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well if he has been on this food for a bit id be inclined to think it has to do with fall. we have a horrible time with sarah in the fall as she is allergic to mold and the leaves fall and then it rains and i have to get them away from the house. also its fall air. for 2 weeks i had to give sarah extra benadryl and my boston to as they had horrible allergies but they have let up now. i find zyrtec to be better with hives for sarah but for runny nose and such the benadryl is better and use the dosing above. id see how things are in a couple of weeks before changing food. also get some duoxo pads for the chin and paws if the benadryl does not clear it up. keep me posted if things dont change then we can talk food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
well if he has been on this food for a bit id be inclined to think it has to do with fall. we have a horrible time with sarah in the fall as she is allergic to mold and the leaves fall and then it rains and i have to get them away from the house. also its fall air. for 2 weeks i had to give sarah extra benadryl and my boston to as they had horrible allergies but they have let up now. i find zyrtec to be better with hives for sarah but for runny nose and such the benadryl is better and use the dosing above. id see how things are in a couple of weeks before changing food. also get some duoxo pads for the chin and paws if the benadryl does not clear it up. keep me posted if things dont change then we can talk food.

Hello my wonderful GF and smooshy kisses for Sarah & crew!

Do you give anything to strengthen their immune systems such as Probiotics
or Prebiotics...Coconut Oil, etc? I'm doing this for me and am going to start
Brutus & CoCo on them.

Also, have been looking into natural flea, TICK and mosquito repellant for you
and I've come up with red cedar oil. Dilute w/water and spray your yard, trees
and all with this, many pest control co's are adding this to their arsenals at their
customers requests for non poisonous ways to kill these pests. Love ya! Carol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online