General Question Round 2: Abbey's cherry eye is back!

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Less than 1 month ago, we had to take Abbey to the OSU emergency vet for a nasty case of conjuntivitis and possible cherry eye. (she was doing her best 'Pug' impression) She just came off all the steroids and eye drops and when I picked her up at Daycare yesterday, she had a bulging cherry eye. :(

It's happening frequently enough that she has to get the cherry eye surgery done. After a lot of research and a lot of discussion, we've opted for the trim procedure. (We'd rather put eye drops in her eye every day than have to chance putting her through multiple surgeries)

For those who have had the cherry eye 'trim' procedure, how has it been? I'd appreciate any information or advice you have for us!

L

Lucy-licious

If by "Trim procedure" you mean the removal of the 3rd eyelid then yes Billy had this done, both eyes 3 weeks ago...took les than a week for his eyes to heal and he looks super cute...plus we wont need to have further surgeries. Our vet actually recommended it for that reason...avoiding future surgeries in Bullies is really important xx

The 3rd eyelid is also only responsible for 20% of tear production so you may not always need to use eyedrops...we have some and only use if his eyes look dry or a little gunky in the morning.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis has had the "trim" procedure also in both eyes - we had it done when he was neatured to prevent 2 surgeries. He has had no problems, no dry eyes and he looks marvelous! My vet also will not do the other procedure because it does not hold up.

It's so great to not have to see that "cherry eye" anymore - or even worry about it.

OP
WestminsterAbbey

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
I keep a bottle of saline wash around and use it on Abbey after the park, a bath, etc...too. Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping this does this trick. Poor little thing has been to the dr 4 times for her eye since mid-October. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.