General Question Lower protuding jaw ( abnormal)

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. After taking Buddy. my 7 month old ebd to his new vet yesterday. The doc said his lower jaw protruded a little. I really didn't get into this much because it was at the end of our visit but I thought most ebd's had a somewhat protruding lower jaw. At times his 2 big teeth stick out some. Is this just meaning it isn't AKC standard for show? I didn't buy Buddy to show him but just wondering if many other peoples bulldog had this trait ? Thanks

L

Lucy-licious

the line from the top of the head down his face to his bottom jaw should be straight and all in line...some Bully's jaws do stick out a little further than they should which can cause a few problems with eating...however Buddy is still growing and most likely the rest of his face will catch up soon...I wouldnt worry as long as he is able to eat and chew properly xx

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hello everyone. After taking Buddy. my 7 month old ebd to his new vet yesterday. The doc said his lower jaw protruded a little. I really didn't get into this much because it was at the end of our visit but I thought most ebd's had a somewhat protruding lower jaw. At times his 2 big teeth stick out some. Is this just meaning it isn't AKC standard for show? I didn't buy Buddy to show him but just wondering if many other peoples bulldog had this trait ? Thanks

did the vet say its protruding a little more than normal for bulldogs?

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I do not know I asked if it could cause any problems and he said NO but. On the report that came with Buddy after seeing them, Weight .vax ect it does said abnormal lower protruding jaw.. I thought this was one of the characteristics of ebd's and many I see pictures of - have this.. This man has owned this clinic for 30 years. They are celebrating 30 years in Business there by taking photos with your pet on green screen and giving you cardboard framed pics of your pet on like a boradwalk and at the beach.. I would think this guy would know this is very common but who knows. Maybe I should call them or better yet just wait until next time we have to go.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
There are a bunch of people that have lower protruding jaws, check out [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] Gizmo

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks I just got a follow up call from the vets tech and she told me she had never seen an ebd that didn't have one ( overbite) and that later it could pose a problem if he couldn't eat but not to worry about it.. Thanks everyone. PS Bacanator.. Thanks for the gift if I knew how to use this forum better I would return the gift or whatever. I had to make a new screen name because the old one when I cleaned up my pc deleted all my passwords and somehow I had to make up a new screen name..

AllisonXX

Nov 8, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Overbite is more common among humans, for instance. My bulldog, like many others, has a pronounced underbite.
underbite.jpgmontywargamingbulldog.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Is this vet a bully vet? Some vets do not specialize in bulldogs and just don't know the breed that well. Some will have more of an underbite than others, but if it's not that bad then he should not have any problems, plus he is still growing and it may get better. Like [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] said, the line from the top of the head down his face to his bottom jaw should be straight and all in line.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks I am trying to picture that and have read it a few times but to be honest I am not that bright. lol at times. with things. but Buddys overbite looks just like those pics that AlisonXX posted. EXACTLY. He is AKC I did receive papers from them to document him or whatever it is called. I just wanted a bulldog. not a show dog or stud to breed , just because of their goofy but friendly loving dogs that they are. Buddy is a great dog and even thou I didn't research more. which if I had it to do all over again I might have purchased from someone who was listed with the BCA webiste with breeder of merit awards.ect Something along those lines Buddy cost me $1500.00 he came from a place in Missouri called Shady acres Kennels and the only reason I went with them is that my older brother called me one day and said I saw a bulldog today at this store and he folllowed me around this store and was really cute. So I called the store manager and he told me he purchased 2 from a woman in Missouri and hadn't had any problems except skin issues with them and so I called her and then I asked the breeder for references and she gave me a number to a woman who is an inspector for the AKC and she said they run a clean. nice place ect ect.. I even called the main AKC number to make sure that woman really worked for the AKC which she does.. The only reason I asked here was on the paper work the vets gave me it says abnormality.. This vet is the OWNER of the animal hospital there and has 7 vets under him and 72 personal there on the payroll ( I asked) so you would think he wouldnt have listed it as an abnormality right. Thanks everyone.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well as long as he is healthy and you are not showing him it doesn't really matter if it is perfect or not. As long as you are happy with him and love him, that's all that matters. :2thumbs:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.