Help Needed! Constant diarrhoea - food allergy suggestions please!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
M

mabel lou

Not sure if you have access to this dog food but I get this from my vet. It is for digestive problems and I buy it to do the transition of the changing of dog food over. I do not have to deal with diarrhea ever because although IAMS is not a good food and yes it causes all the above plus but my vet said it is fabulous for diarrhea. She said to mix it in the new food and just watch and see the results. Now you figure when my dog has allergy issues with food yet at this point I do not know what it is. So trial and error it is to find out what she can tolerate. The changing of the food if to fast cancause upset and or diarrhea while trying to figure out what she can have. I use Natural Balance and she is pink but not beat red anymore so I like this kind however I still would like to see her to be able to eat something else other than that but the canned food works with the transition of even checking on whether or not it is doing to agree. I stock up on it. But not sure you even have access to this but if you do it certainly is worth trying and it clears the diarrhea up fast. They told me to give her small portions of it every hour or so when she dumped over her dog food bin one time while I was outside and so she ate a bunch of it causing terrible diarrhea. This is how I learned of this but I also learned that is fabulous with any transitioning of changing of the food. IMG_0820[1].jpg Well it is a suggestion and it works for me.

Last edited:

Bentley von Eaton

Dec 20, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
We have a favorite tried-and-true diet for our EBs. One of our boys had constant diarrhea until we found the magic formula.
Our daily meal ritual has helped our sensitive-stomach bulldogs to become more regular and happy. And they love the taste of the food the way we prepare it!
Here's what we do, in order, and a collage of the products we use:

• Dry Food–Victor Grain Free Yukon River Salmon and Sweet Potato–pre-package in zip lock bags according to recommended serving size
• Meal Additive–Raw Apple Cider Vinegar–for each of our bulldogs, each 60 lbs+, we add 2 TBSP per meal to the dry food in the pre-portioned ziplock bags.
• Meal Additive–Grizzly Salmon Oil–we add this to the dry food in each bag according to recommended serving size per meal.
• Meal Supplement–dehydrated red beets (antioxidant and has a yummy flavor they love)–we add recommended serving size in the bags, after the AVC and Oil but before the water. TIP: We settled on this method after trial and error. It turned out to be the best way to rehydrate the beets and feed them to our messy eaters without them ending up with bright red murderlips. LOL
• Water–our local water is not good, so we use bottled water and fill the meal bags just to the top of the food level. Rehydration helps our boys eat without choking on the dry food.
• Store overnight in fridge to allow rehydration.
• Next day, at mealtime–The food is soft and the beets are rehydrated. We empty the bags into their bowls and prepare the Nupro joint-formula gravy according to directions and recommended serving size and pour it over the soaked food.
• Our special needs diarrhea boy gets the FirmUP pumpkin powder mixed into his gravy– according to serving size recommended on package.
• For additional pumpkin power, we also give him the occasional pumpkin treat, and it's called 4Legz. It's in the picture I uploaded.

It's also important to point out that there could be a medical reason for the diarrhea, other than diet. It might be a good idea to have a fecal sample examined for protozoal parasites, such as Giardia, which are easily picked up from the environment.

Bulldog-Meal.png

Last edited:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=15220]Bentley von Eaton[/MENTION]
We don't feed dry food now but I like the idea of rehydrating over night! We used to add warm water and then we had to wait for the kibble to cool down!

We feed raw and add dry carrots, similar to your beets, I suppose. I add two teaspoons on top of the raw meet and Castor's sensitive tummy does well on that.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We have a favorite tried-and-true diet for our EBs. One of our boys had constant diarrhea until we found the magic formula.
Our daily meal ritual has helped our sensitive-stomach bulldogs to become more regular and happy. And they love the taste of the food the way we prepare it!
Here's what we do, in order, and a collage of the products we use:

• Dry Food–Victor Grain Free Yukon River Salmon and Sweet Potato–pre-package in zip lock bags according to recommended serving size
• Meal Additive–Raw Apple Cider Vinegar–for each of our bulldogs, each 60 lbs+, we add 2 TBSP per meal to the dry food in the pre-portioned ziplock bags.
• Meal Additive–Grizzly Salmon Oil–we add this to the dry food in each bag according to recommended serving size per meal.
• Meal Supplement–dehydrated red beets (antioxidant and has a yummy flavor they love)–we add recommended serving size in the bags, after the AVC and Oil but before the water. TIP: We settled on this method after trial and error. It turned out to be the best way to rehydrate the beets and feed them to our messy eaters without them ending up with bright red murderlips. LOL
• Water–our local water is not good, so we use bottled water and fill the meal bags just to the top of the food level. Rehydration helps our boys eat without choking on the dry food.
• Store overnight in fridge to allow rehydration.
• Next day, at mealtime–The food is soft and the beets are rehydrated. We empty the bags into their bowls and prepare the Nupro joint-formula gravy according to directions and recommended serving size and pour it over the soaked food.
• Our special needs diarrhea boy gets the FirmUP pumpkin powder mixed into his gravy– according to serving size recommended on package.
• For additional pumpkin power, we also give him the occasional pumpkin treat, and it's called 4Legz. It's in the picture I uploaded.

It's also important to point out that there could be a medical reason for the diarrhea, other than diet. It might be a good idea to have a fecal sample examined for protozoal parasites, such as Giardia, which are easily picked up from the environment.

View attachment 102075

Oh man! I LOVED Victor! But unfortunately all of their formulas have either chicken or sweet potatoes- which Penny's sensitive too. BOO! But we also use the Nupro! ACV in their water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.