Help Needed! Constant diarrhoea - food allergy suggestions please!!

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Hi there, I am hoping someone who has been through the whole food allergy debacle can give me a few suggestions as to what to do for my bully Stooge. She was originally on Royal Cannan English Bulldog puppy until she turned one and started to get food allergy symptoms so we moved her on to ACANA Wild Prairie cancelling out grains. We have experimented with pork and lamb and she comes up with a rash on her tummy straight away so guessing those two are no go's so have just focused on chicken - based diets. We were really happy with ACANA but after being through two large bags she is now getting consistent diarrhoea and sometimes give her pepto-bismol which doesn't seem to help much and last night she threw up her food. She is fit and healthy and active but has been a bit whiny lately, no signs of major rashes but diarrhoea is a problem. We are in New Zealand and have a limited range of good dry foods available to us so Orijin and ACAME is pretty much all there is to choose from when looking at the recommended list on this website. I have seen a few posts on pumpkin and raw food diets but I was just wondering if anyone could suggest anything else that may be the problem and any suggestions as to what we can do to help her short or long term. Much appreciated!!
IMG_0200.jpg

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sometimes it takes a while to find the right food for your pup. Constant diarrhea simply means that the food you're using now isn't working either. Long Long Before I found EBN (and learned a bunch about foods, allergies, et. al.) my first pup was eating IAMS -- if you can imagine that. No wonder she had squishy poops and itchy skin. Poor angel. In contrast, Bea was on Orijin her first year and she had not one GOOD solid poop once. It was far too rich for her and Bo.

Can you get Natural Balance Duck / Sweet Potato? It's not the most highly rated food around, but it worked really well for my two for a long time. It's a limited ingredient diet --- so you can narrow down exactly what's going into your pup ---- so you can get you want to come OUT.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok well if i were u i would see bout something other than chicken for your bully maybe. sarah is not allergic to chicken but if i give her to much she gets diarrhea to. might want to do the bland diet with beef and rice for a few days and no kibble and see if this helps your bully with the digestive issues. the thing with bullies is finding the right protein and then from there finding the right stuff to go with it such as rice or peas or whatever. if she doesnt get better with the beef and rice then id see bout taking her to the vet to make sure their isnt something else going on. if she does good on the beef and rice then you know its the food she was eating. you can try the singles duck and bartlett pare or the pacifica. the ranchlands is beef but has lamb in it to so not sure if you want to try that. also some canned pumpkin can help firm the stool to if you have that there. let me know how its going.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you have rec'd great advice.... good luck and keep us posted

OP
Stooge

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Natural Balance looks great but no one stocks it here. I will try a bland diet and then look for food with limited ingredients or try duck and bartlett pare or the pacifica - Have not tried her with beef yet as others have said beef is the most common for protein allergies (not sure if true) but will give that a go as well. Ill have a look round for canned pumpkin but don't think I have seen it here. Is boiled pumpkin just as good? Thank you all so much!!!! It is all so confusing with your first bully having no one who knows or have been through it themselves! This website is brilliant! Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Natural Balance looks great but no one stocks it here. I will try a bland diet and then look for food with limited ingredients or try duck and bartlett pare or the pacifica - Have not tried her with beef yet as others have said beef is the most common for protein allergies (not sure if true) but will give that a go as well. Ill have a look round for canned pumpkin but don't think I have seen it here. Is boiled pumpkin just as good? Thank you all so much!!!! It is all so confusing with your first bully having no one who knows or have been through it themselves! This website is brilliant! Thanks!

No! Chicken is the most common for allergies! Beef is one of the least ! My Jake is one of many here allergic to chicken..but he is also sensitive to any fowl...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , my name is Monica, and I have 2 EB puppies Bulldozer and Blossom, they are 8 months old. They came from the breeder on Royal Canin, but I wasn't really happy with the corn and fillers in it, so when they were 6 months old, I switched them to Go Natural, they have a grain free formula, and it is a good food. I don't know if you can get that brand where you live. It was too rich for my male, and he got the diarrhea , and started eating his poop. YUK! I switched them back to Royal, and then I switched them when they were 7 months old to Fromms Puppy Gold. They both got diarrhea , and my Blossom, who has a lot of sensitivity issues, she gets a pink chin, pink ears, and watery red eyes. I switched them both to Fromms Beef Fritata, and they are both doing really well on this food. Their stools are normal, and I find they don't smell that bad, of course it still smells, it is :poo: , after all . Lol. Blossom doesn't have a pink chin or ears anymore, and her eyes are much clearer, and don't water anymore.

Leggett

Nov 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
My EB is the same way, when i got him at 1 year, he had been on Purina Beneful (food worse than the runny poop). i have been experementing with what he should eat, i have gotten so many suggestions on this site, but many of my providers around don't carry what i need. i believe my EB has an allergy to grain, and maybe to chicken, but he loves Duck. I am confused as to what to do, i definatly want to get rid of the runs, any help? thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
add a tabblespoon of pure pumpkin from the can with a meal, not pie mix, pure plain pumpkin. also, you could switch to a bland diet until things calm down, burger and rice cooked

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

yes to the boiled pumpkin, plain pumpkin with out spices

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My EB is the same way, when i got him at 1 year, he had been on Purina Beneful (food worse than the runny poop). i have been experementing with what he should eat, i have gotten so many suggestions on this site, but many of my providers around don't carry what i need. i believe my EB has an allergy to grain, and maybe to chicken, but he loves Duck. I am confused as to what to do, i definatly want to get rid of the runs, any help? thanks

Hello and :welcome:!! Here is the list of recommended foods .. I would suggest you try one of the 5* or 6* rated foods .... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Also, many of us on here use Petflow for their dog food deliveries. Their prices are highly competitive with any of the local stores, and also if you set up a delivery schedule for when you want each bag delivered they will give you free shipping!! I have used it myself and it's great! :up:

Personally, I feed mine the Fromm Beef Frittata because it is grain free and chicken free. I also think that Bella bear has some allergy to salmon but I'm not 100% sure of that yet, I switched her on to the Fromm Salmon n Veg just for a change and she started to lose the hair on her head. She's back on the Beef now but it takes so long to get food completely out of thier systems that it will take a while to really find out for sure!!

Hope that helps a little!!

OP
Stooge

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Thank you all this has really helped! I was given a free bag of Eukanuba sensitive stomach having just started working at a pet store and she has now got very good stools!! This is still not the best for her by any means but has solved the stool problem for now. She is itching quite a lot but that may be due to other factors (is grass allergy season) Will switch to the orijin 6 fresh fish and HOPEFULLY that will be the one!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all this has really helped! I was given a free bag of Eukanuba sensitive stomach having just started working at a pet store and she has now got very good stools!! This is still not the best for her by any means but has solved the stool problem for now. She is itching quite a lot but that may be due to other factors (is grass allergy season) Will switch to the orijin 6 fresh fish and HOPEFULLY that will be the one!

Good to hear she is doing better... please keep us posted AND picture are always welcome!

OP
Stooge

Stooge

Oct 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stooge
Good to hear she is doing better... please keep us posted AND picture are always welcome!

Thanks! I would love to put photos up but I'm still learning how :confused: but since its nearly Christmas here is a couple from last year just for fun

393479_3032600896720_298718686_n.jpg407386_3032601896745_731971674_n.jpgIMG_0273.jpg297260_4911978279980_25564424_n.jpg

Most Reactions