Help Needed! Recommendations re Glucosamine/Chondrotin

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Hi all,

Miss Muffin has pretty bad arthritis in her left back knee. I think I'm going to start her on Grizzley Salmon Oil. Thoughts on this product?

I also think it may be a good idea to start her on a glucosamine & chondrotin supplement. More thoughts? Could I get some feedback & recommendations on a good supplement? I've browsed the forum for recommendations on glucosamine & chondrotin, but have yet to find a definitive "list"...or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :confused:.

As always, thanks so much for all of your invaluable advice!

IMG-20121024-00066 (1).jpg

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin is on cosequin ds plus msm he's only been on it for about 2 months I see somewhat of a difference but he should be on it a little longer before I see a big difference. I heard of chondrowpaw that is supposed to be really good for hip dysplasia an arthritis but it's way to expensive for me you should look them both up they are supposed to be the best ones an for grizzly salmon oil I want to start mine on it I heard really good things about it so that's my next thing I want to try good luck I hope you find some relief for her

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi all,

Miss Muffin has pretty bad arthritis in her left back knee. I think I'm going to start her on Grizzley Salmon Oil. Thoughts on this product?

I also think it may be a good idea to start her on a glucosamine & chondrotin supplement. More thoughts? Could I get some feedback & recommendations on a good supplement? I've browsed the forum for recommendations on glucosamine & chondrotin, but have yet to find a definitive "list"...or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough :confused:.

View attachment 30624

about 6 months ago, I started all 5 of mine on a product called "Regenex" since I have five of them, I went with the formula for horses. Boy does this stuff work or what. I have it figured out to aprox. 1/8 teaspoon per dog. I use a eye dropper, if you Google the product you will see they have a formula for dogs too. The horse formula is the most percentage of Glucosamine /Chondroitin I have ever seen. And my vet approved it.

OP
KT221

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5480]loveabully[/MENTION] - Thanks for the recommendation. I've seen good reviews of cosequin ds. I'll check it out. I hope you continue to see improvement in Franklin.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - Thank you for directing me! Still getting the hang of this wonderful site.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - I do have a Trader Joes near me...I was wondering about their Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement specifically! Good to hear that it's a good product...I'll check this one out as well.

[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] - Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be looking in to this one as well. FIVE?!?!?!? That's amazing. You're the ultimate bully mom!

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've been thinking about this for Little Miss Bea. Bea has the classic frumpy short-legged, fireplug shaped body. We walk daily and when we start out, she's spry, agile -- almost "hoppy" in a way. I've noticed toward the last leg (pun intended) of our walk, she seems - well, I'm not sure how to describe it - sort of "crouchy"? I've ruled out everything I can think of. She's always got a fresh mani-pedi (so it's not nails that are far too long that might be bothering her). Her feet are in fine shape; no interdigital cysts or injuries of any kind. I've examined her head to toe --- I don't SEE anything wrong. I'm thinking maybe -- because of her stout frame -- that it's a joint issue? This hasn't gone on for long and in fact, yesterday I noticed it was quite pronounced; this "crouchiness" I see. At the off leash area, Bea and Bo played an unusually spirited game of "chase me" with Bea doing most of the chasing. Two nights ago, home from the walk, after thier dinner, watching TV with me, Bea was kind of "cranky" with Bo; like she didn't feel good. If he came too near her on her stinky blanket, she grumbled at him.

She'll be 3 in March. Could it be joint issues already?

I'm glad you brought this up [MENTION=6590]KT221[/MENTION] .... I don't mean to hijack your thread; but I'm thinking we have the same problem?

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all,

View attachment 30624

I meant to ask you; how was the arthritis diagnosed? Xray?

Bea and Bo both get Grizzly Salmon Oil --- and in reasonable doses now that my friend [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] straightened me out on the dosage thing (I was overdosing them on salmon oil). The like the taste - I hate the smell - and it's done wonders I think for their coats (thick and shiny) but I don't know what else it does. I thought someone said it helped with shedding -- and that's why I got them on it. Does it? I dunno. I can't tell. They get it 4 times a week in their dinner.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
about 6 months ago, I started all 5 of mine on a product called "Regenex" since I have five of them, I went with the formula for horses. Boy does this stuff work or what. I have it figured out to aprox. 1/8 teaspoon per dog. I use a eye dropper, if you Google the product you will see they have a formula for dogs too. The horse formula is the most percentage of Glucosamine /Chondroitin I have ever seen. And my vet approved it.

We used a horse glucosamine on our Rottie years ago. Worked great!

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I have been giving our 11 year old bullmastiff GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health for Senior Dogs - Beef Flavor. He loves them and have noticed a world of difference since we started him on them.

OP
KT221

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I meant to ask you; how was the arthritis diagnosed? Xray?

Bea and Bo both get Grizzly Salmon Oil --- and in reasonable doses now that my friend @cowsmom straightened me out on the dosage thing (I was overdosing them on salmon oil). The like the taste - I hate the smell - and it's done wonders I think for their coats (thick and shiny) but I don't know what else it does. I thought someone said it helped with shedding -- and that's why I got them on it. Does it? I dunno. I can't tell. They get it 4 times a week in their dinner.

Muffin was diagnosed through an exam with her vet. The vet flexed all of her major joints and could literally feel the grinding of the bone. They also did some sort of neurological test to see if she was in pain from the areas that felt particularly bad. I'm sure your vet could let you know of Bea is going through something similar. Miss Muffin is also young (three or four) and with the "classic frumpy short-legged, fireplug shaped body". No "hijack" worries at all! The more discussion, the better. I hope both mom and Bea figure this out soon.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
as far as joint supplements glyco flex is supposedly an excellent one and i used pet naturals extra strength hip and joint from petco also for sarah. alas she was allergic to these two but im getting ready to try her on nuviflex its gets good reviews but will have to try it before i can comment on it. i have used cosequin ds also with pretty good results but wanted to see if there was something better and sarah is allergic to the pork also. if your dog has joint trouble and your using salmon oil you will get better results adding a joint med to it as we noticed with sarah. she did alot better with both as opposed to just one.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been giving our 11 year old bullmastiff GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health for Senior Dogs - Beef Flavor. He loves them and have noticed a world of difference since we started him on them.

Thank you for the suggestion [MENTION=5995]DesertBum[/MENTION]. My fondest bestest dream come true would be an 11 year old Bea and Bo. :havemyheart: I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to make it happen!

Muffin was diagnosed through an exam with her vet. The vet flexed all of her major joints and could literally feel the grinding of the bone. They also did some sort of neurological test to see if she was in pain from the areas that felt particularly bad. I'm sure your vet could let you know of Bea is going through something similar. Miss Muffin is also young (three or four) and with the "classic frumpy short-legged, fireplug shaped body". No "hijack" worries at all! The more discussion, the better. I hope both mom and Bea figure this out soon.

I truly adore my vet and this sounds like a job for Dr. Terry. She's due for a check up anyway so the timing is right. I'll report back with findings! That "grinding of the bone"; I know it well. My own knee does that. It's hell getting old! hahahahahaha

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - anxious to hear how the Nuviflex works out. I'd like to avoid chicken, pork and anything "grainy" on this end too.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names

I want to try this stuff. Do you have to have a Dr's RX to get it? (I will get the dog version though LOL)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.