URGENT!!! Allergic to my Bully!?!??!

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
So we've had Kimbo since June. He is now almost 9 months. Recently, my husband and I have been experiencing symptoms that include: sneezing uncontrollably, itchy skin, watery eyes, and stuffy noses. These symptoms attack hard whenever we play or handle Kimbo. I always keep our place clean. I vaccuum, dust, wipe, sanitize, etc, on a regular basis. A few days ago, we were playing with him and we both started getting red bumps on our hands where his saliva had touched us. When he sheds is when the sneeze attacks starts, followed by the rest of the other allergy symptoms. As much as I want to have him start staying in the bedroom with us, its not possible since my husband has asthma and with these recent allergy attacks, we can't have him in there. As soon as we're done playing with him we wash our hands right away. Sometimes I have to take an extra shower because I get so itchy. We've taken allergy meds including Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl, and a few others. Its gotten pretty bad to the point where we keep him in the kitchen only since the rest of our home has carpet.

Giving him away IS NOT AN OPTION. I did some research and know that many people experience allergic reactions like this due to the dander and saliva of their dogs. Many recommend an air filter for the bedroom, which I will be looking into.

I wanted to ask here because its specific to Kimbo's breed. Can anyone help or offer suggestions? It breaks my heart that I have to keep him in the kitchen all the time, sometimes in his kennel:*( Its even harder that I cant keep him in the living room too long especially since he's now able to stay more calm there (update from previous post). I want to make it comfortable for all three of us. I love him so much!

Thank you!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
You can talk to an allergist about it. When my brother was younger he was allergic to EVERYTHING and he went once a week to get shots to help his allergic response...he's now a fully functioning adult with minimal allergies. I'm not sure if age is a factor though, he may have "grown out of" the allergies..but it doesn't hurt to ask someone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ON NO!! That is darn near heart breaking for you... I hope there is something you can do medically to help so you can enjoy him more. I have no insight, but wanted to wish you the best in finding a solution to help you live in the same room as you bully baby!

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
You can talk to an allergist about it. When my brother was younger he was allergic to EVERYTHING and he went once a week to get shots to help his allergic response...he's now a fully functioning adult with minimal allergies. I'm not sure if age is a factor though, he may have "grown out of" the allergies..but it doesn't hurt to ask someone

Thank you for your response. I am also looking into that, was looking for some other types of suggestions as well. I heard those shots can be quite expensive too...Needig maybe 1 or 2 shots a month..

OP
KimboSlice

KimboSlice

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimbo
ON NO!! That is darn near heart breaking for you... I hope there is something you can do medically to help so you can enjoy him more. I have no insight, but wanted to wish you the best in finding a solution to help you live in the same room as you bully baby!

Thank you so much for your support! I really hope I find a solution soon! I feel so distant from him :( And I know he feels it too..

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would definitely go see an allergist, hopefully you guys will build up a tolerance to him and it will pass

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I would definitely go see an allergist, hopefully you guys will build up a tolerance to him and it will pass

I concur. Especially since you are both having reactions. Maybe it is something else that is causing it. *fingers crossed*

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have allergies to dander also but I can't live life without having dogs in it!! With my babies I brush them daily I've started using one of those rubber brushes mine is by Oster and its called a Rush Brush, you can use it for daily brushing and at bath time to remove dead hair and dander, it works great! I also do a daily wipe down with dog wipes the ones I have right now are by Top Dog but along with their daily fold cleaning I wipe them from head to toes with the wipes just to remove anything the brushing left behind and it has helped a lot with my allergy symptoms ... sounds like you are having pretty harsh reactions so I would suggest getting gloves and wearing long sleeve shirts when you are loving on your baby then change your shirt and take off the gloves until things get better under control. hope it gets better soon.

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm allergic to mine also but I only get hives on my arms so I just wear a long sleeve shirt when I ply with him. I also have to wash my arms and hands after I play with him. But thankfully my husband isn't as bad! I guess it kinda sux to change clothes but its just a suggestion till u see an allergist :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope an allergist can help you through this, so you can keep your baby.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: My granddaughter had much the same reactions. She would get bumps, her eyes would water and her nose would get stuffy. She has dogs of her own and I couldn't believe she was allergic to Jake! :eek: we just made sure she washed her hands and kept a cool wet washcloth at hand to put on her itchy eyes. The good news is..she has built up a resistance and being around Jake no longer bothers her. I so hope you can find the solution...

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Allergies are sneaky things. Make sure you're using hypoallergenic dog shampoo and anything Elsa you use with him. Wash bedding with that kind of detergent too. If they have anything on them you're allergic to it can rub off onto you. You may have to bathe the dog more often than you'd like. I know that if my hands start to itch when playing its bath time for sure

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My son that is 25 and has two dogs of his own has allergic reaction to Vegas, he breaks out in hives and his eyes swell shut, If Vegas licks him or scratches him with his nails. The only solution we could come up with is when he visits, he washes his hands many times and he gets a cold washcloth to wipe his eyes. I don't know why Vegas does this to him but he does, my son has a Boston and a pit-mix :confused:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can try a combination of all the suggestions, 1 st you should get allergy tests, as it may be something else. Take an allergy tablet, and allergy shots. It sounds like your doing everything else, like washing your hands, vacuuming , keeping him out of your bedroom, and such. Some others had a good suggestion of changing your clothes after contact with the dog, throw them in the wash right after, and washing your hands and arms after playing with him. It sounds like your doing everything you can to minimize reactions. I am not allergic to dogs, but I am allergic to cats, I sneeze whenever my sons cat comes in contact with me, or if I pet her and then touch my eyes. It was way worse when we first got her, within the first 2 or 3 days , I started sneezing, and itchy watery eyes. I just made sure she doesn't come into my bedroom, and after I pet her, I wash my hands, as well as I vacuum everyday to minimize hair. We also sweep then sniffer the floors every Wednesday, and sweep, sniffer , and damp mop every Sunday, this minimizes the hairs and dust. It is true that the more you are exposed to an allergen, the more you build up a resistance. We have had our cat for a year and 4 months, and she doesn't bother me near as much as before, I hardly sneeze anymore, and as long as I don't touch my face after petting her, and wash my hands after, I'm okay. You mentioned you have only had your baby for 5 months, so maybe over time, your allergies to him will get better or more manageable to a level, you can tolerate. Another thing you could try, is to bath your baby once a week, and brush him after his bath to minimize hair, and remove any excess or loose hairs. I hope you can find a solution that will work for you to be able to live with your baby. Good luck, crossing my fingers and praying for you guys that everything works out. It must be heartbreaking for you guys. Keep us posted.

Just a little information I also wanted to share with you, a few years back, I remember reading an article about children with peanut allergies. They did a study where children were slowly exposed to peanuts, to build up their antibodies to them. This was done in a controlled situation, and done slowly over time to desensitize them to peanut allergies, so it is possible to build up a tolerance over time.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.