Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to my Bully!?!??!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kimbo
    Likes (Received)

Default Allergic to my Bully!?!??!

So we've had Kimbo since June. He is now almost 9 months. Recently, my husband and I have been experiencing symptoms that include: sneezing uncontrollably, itchy skin, watery eyes, and stuffy noses. These symptoms attack hard whenever we play or handle Kimbo. I always keep our place clean. I vaccuum, dust, wipe, sanitize, etc, on a regular basis. A few days ago, we were playing with him and we both started getting red bumps on our hands where his saliva had touched us. When he sheds is when the sneeze attacks starts, followed by the rest of the other allergy symptoms. As much as I want to have him start staying in the bedroom with us, its not possible since my husband has asthma and with these recent allergy attacks, we can't have him in there. As soon as we're done playing with him we wash our hands right away. Sometimes I have to take an extra shower because I get so itchy. We've taken allergy meds including Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl, and a few others. Its gotten pretty bad to the point where we keep him in the kitchen only since the rest of our home has carpet.

Giving him away IS NOT AN OPTION. I did some research and know that many people experience allergic reactions like this due to the dander and saliva of their dogs. Many recommend an air filter for the bedroom, which I will be looking into.

I wanted to ask here because its specific to Kimbo's breed. Can anyone help or offer suggestions? It breaks my heart that I have to keep him in the kitchen all the time, sometimes in his kennel Its even harder that I cant keep him in the living room too long especially since he's now able to stay more calm there (update from previous post). I want to make it comfortable for all three of us. I love him so much!

Thank you!

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Allergic to my Bully!?!??!

You can talk to an allergist about it. When my brother was younger he was allergic to EVERYTHING and he went once a week to get shots to help his allergic response...he's now a fully functioning adult with minimal allergies. I'm not sure if age is a factor though, he may have "grown out of" the allergies..but it doesn't hurt to ask someone

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

ON NO!! That is darn near heart breaking for you... I hope there is something you can do medically to help so you can enjoy him more. I have no insight, but wanted to wish you the best in finding a solution to help you live in the same room as you bully baby!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kimbo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You can talk to an allergist about it. When my brother was younger he was allergic to EVERYTHING and he went once a week to get shots to help his allergic response...he's now a fully functioning adult with minimal allergies. I'm not sure if age is a factor though, he may have "grown out of" the allergies..but it doesn't hurt to ask someone
    Thank you for your response. I am also looking into that, was looking for some other types of suggestions as well. I heard those shots can be quite expensive too...Needig maybe 1 or 2 shots a month..

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kimbo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    ON NO!! That is darn near heart breaking for you... I hope there is something you can do medically to help so you can enjoy him more. I have no insight, but wanted to wish you the best in finding a solution to help you live in the same room as you bully baby!
    Thank you so much for your support! I really hope I find a solution soon! I feel so distant from him And I know he feels it too..

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I would definitely go see an allergist, hopefully you guys will build up a tolerance to him and it will pass

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    I would definitely go see an allergist, hopefully you guys will build up a tolerance to him and it will pass
    I concur. Especially since you are both having reactions. Maybe it is something else that is causing it. *fingers crossed*
    I am a master at planking......

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have allergies to dander also but I can't live life without having dogs in it!! With my babies I brush them daily I've started using one of those rubber brushes mine is by Oster and its called a Rush Brush, you can use it for daily brushing and at bath time to remove dead hair and dander, it works great! I also do a daily wipe down with dog wipes the ones I have right now are by Top Dog but along with their daily fold cleaning I wipe them from head to toes with the wipes just to remove anything the brushing left behind and it has helped a lot with my allergy symptoms ... sounds like you are having pretty harsh reactions so I would suggest getting gloves and wearing long sleeve shirts when you are loving on your baby then change your shirt and take off the gloves until things get better under control. hope it gets better soon.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

I'm allergic to mine also but I only get hives on my arms so I just wear a long sleeve shirt when I ply with him. I also have to wash my arms and hands after I play with him. But thankfully my husband isn't as bad! I guess it kinda sux to change clothes but its just a suggestion till u see an allergist

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Hope an allergist can help you through this, so you can keep your baby.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

YIKES! How awful. Hopefully you will build up a resistance and the severe reactions will cease. Were you raised with dogs, or in a dog free home?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

My granddaughter had much the same reactions. She would get bumps, her eyes would water and her nose would get stuffy. She has dogs of her own and I couldn't believe she was allergic to Jake! we just made sure she washed her hands and kept a cool wet washcloth at hand to put on her itchy eyes. The good news is..she has built up a resistance and being around Jake no longer bothers her. I so hope you can find the solution...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads