Help Needed! Prolapsed Urethra

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Took Einstein out to do his business yesterday evening and when he came inside I noticed quite a large pool of blood where he sat down for his treat. He stood up and I could see blood dripping from his penis. Naturally I freaked and called the vet. I took him right in.

Of course I had to work that night and knew I was going to be late. But my coworkers are amazing and know that Einstein is my baby. It stopped bleeding on the drive there (it's an hour drive to his vet) But when we got there it started bleeding again. The vet said he has a prolapsed urethra. They had to put a catheter in and clamp off the end that prolapsed.

And worst of all he has to stay there until probably the end of the week. I could hardly hold back the tears at the vet's office. I've never left him anywhere. Once we left him there just during the day after he had eye surgery, but got to bring him home in the evening. I'm having lots of anxiety because I know he's really nervous in a strange place. Has anybody else had this happen to their bully?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awwww. I feel terrible for you, worrying about your pup so. Dogs are adaptable, resilient creatures and the pain meds they may have him on, will help him sleep thru the stress of being at the doctor's office. Did you try the "Search" function at the top of the page here at EBN? Just typing in "urethra" OR "prolapsed" should get you some older posts about it. Someone will come along with experience on this!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took Einstein out to do his business yesterday evening and when he came inside I noticed quite a large pool of blood where he sat down for his treat. He stood up and I could see blood dripping from his penis. Naturally I freaked and called the vet. I took him right in.

Of course I had to work that night and knew I was going to be late. But my coworkers are amazing and know that Einstein is my baby. It stopped bleeding on the drive there (it's an hour drive to his vet) But when we got there it started bleeding again. The vet said he has a prolapsed urethra. They had to put a catheter in and clamp off the end that prolapsed.

And worst of all he has to stay there until probably the end of the week. I could hardly hold back the tears at the vet's office. I've never left him anywhere. Once we left him there just during the day after he had eye surgery, but got to bring him home in the evening. I'm having lots of anxiety because I know he's really nervous in a strange place. Has anybody else had this happen to their bully?

I tagged Roe... her Brutus had this she will be able to provide some insight and support

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hug: I'm so sorry for Einstein and you too. I don't have experience but just wanted to tell you, he will be ok and knows you love him. Roe (chanelnbrutus) will be here shortly.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Poor baby, I'm sure he'll do better then his Momma. Thinking of you both

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Aw I am so sad, I can hear your tears in your post :(

I have not exp this either, but I do know others have gotten this fixed by having them neutered, has he already been fixed?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey there! I am so sorry you and your boy are going through this :(

Brutus prolapsed his urethra at 8 months and it was very messy! The first day it happed we rushed to the vet who said we needed to have surgery to not only repair the prolapse but also neuter him to prevent reoccurrence! Well we went ahead and did both! We took Brutus home early and exactly one week later he prolapsed again :( its common to happen again but I think he popped a stich out!

The surgey is invasive so please make sure you trust your vet and I would see how many he has performed before! It's not an easy surgery from what we were told! Brutus still has the red ball on the tip of his penis. After surgery he still bled for about 2 weeks :( that was bc reoccurrence! Others had the surgey and bleeding stopped instantly! It all differs from case to case!

Wow this was long! I'm here if you need anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
If they want him to stay! I know how hard it will be but it's best for him! I feel bc we took Brutus home after 3 days maybe that's why it reoccurred! I have positive thoughts all will be okay!

He will be okay and I'm sure they are going to love on him for you! Hugs and more hugs! If you need someone to talk just pm me :)

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't find the actual receipt which shows everything but here are the discharge instructions and list of meds they gave us after!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352821893.788825.jpg

Hope you can read it :)

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm calling first thing in the morning for an update. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] he has been neutered. He was young...cant remember exactly whenever they suggested it be done. [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] we do trust our vet. He sees lots of bulldogs. Not sure if this something that happens to their breed more or just any dog. Thank you for your advice. How long ago did this happen to Brutus? Poor guy.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Remy just had one in June! He had the surgery to fix it and neutered at the same time and no bleeding ever again! My surgery didn't cost as much as Brutus'. I took him to Michigan State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital and the surgeon had just developed and published a new procedure so he only charged me $100 for the prolapse and $150 for the neutering. Remy had to stay from Tuesday until Friday but didn't come home on any pain meds and this was the first thing he did once he got home 76548_4802406496735_1748430017_n.jpg stitches in two places doesn't seem to phase him!

Einstein will be good as gold when he comes home!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm calling first thing in the morning for an update. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] he has been neutered. He was young...cant remember exactly whenever they suggested it be done. [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] we do trust our vet. He sees lots of bulldogs. Not sure if this something that happens to their breed more or just any dog. Thank you for your advice. How long ago did this happen to Brutus? Poor guy.

Great Im glad to hear! We didn't have the option to research the surgeon bc it was an emergency situation! Blood was everywhere! His whole stomach was covered :( it happend at 8 months old!
I have heard its common with English Bulldogs and have read other breeds as well! Nothing can really prevent it! We think Brutus prolapsed bc he was very aggressive with humping! Others that had surgery didn't even blew afterward but Brutus did and they told us it was normal! Now he just has the red ball with no blood episodes at all (knocking on wood) our vet does want to check him every 3-4 months to make sure no infection and its okay! I am not putting him thru another surgey unless he absolutely needs it :) let me know if you need anything

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
[MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION] Well that's good to hear! I have no idea how much it's going to cost. Probably quite a bit jut bc he has to stay there for awhile. Aww Remy...right to his toy box. How old was he when it happened to him.

[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] how old is Brutus now. Sounds like he's doing well. Did the humping stop after he got neutered? Even though Einstein was neutered he still humped his pillow. The vet said its a learned behavior and he did it before he was fixed. He never tried to hump anything besides his pillow so we always thought what's the harm. I feel bad now. His special pillow is already in the trash!

Got an update from the vet today. Said he's doing well and that he's eating. They are still optimistic that we can get him on Friday. My husband took a care package with some of his favorite things yesterday but didn't ask to see him just because we knew he would get really excited and we didn't want him to pull anything out. They said that he started growling and barking at one of the ladies that worked there. He has never ever done that before. I don't think he's ever growled before. But they said they put him in a crate next to another dog and he's much better. Said he needed some companionship. No growling or barking now.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.