General Question Puppy jaw disorder

debruch

Sep 21, 2012
CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Curtis
Hi everyone,

My wife and I added a bulldog puppy, Curtis, to the family back in August. In early October, at 4 months, we noticed he had some jaw pain and was hesitant to open his mouth or eat as much as he had previously. After a few vet visits Curtis was diagnosed with Craniomandibular Osteopathy, which is accelerated growth of the jaw bone and skull. He's now on daily pain and anti-inflammatory meds and has his good and bad days. We've researched this disorder a lot and found that it's pretty rare in English bulldogs. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with CMO? Based on what we've read most dogs grow out of it (or grow into their jaw) by 12-14 months and we hope the same goes for little Curtis. We hate to see him miss out on his playful puppy days but are trying to make him as comfortable as possible.

Thanks!
Daniel
&
Curtis

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry, I have no info for you, but I will tag a few people who might be able to help.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hi everyone,

My wife and I added a bulldog puppy, Curtis, to the family back in August. In early October, at 4 months, we noticed he had some jaw pain and was hesitant to open his mouth or eat as much as he had previously. After a few vet visits Curtis was diagnosed with Craniomandibular Osteopathy, which is accelerated growth of the jaw bone and skull. He's now on daily pain and anti-inflammatory meds and has his good and bad days. We've researched this disorder a lot and found that it's pretty rare in English bulldogs. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with CMO? Based on what we've read most dogs grow out of it (or grow into their jaw) by 12-14 months and we hope the same goes for little Curtis. We hate to see him miss out on his playful puppy days but are trying to make him as comfortable as possible.

Thanks!
Daniel
&
Curtis

Hi and welcome!

I'm not familiar with the condition, but I was wondering if Curtis' jaw was clicking before he had jaw pain? I notice Herman's jaw is clicking/cracking and the doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about - unless it was causing him discomfort. He is 8 months. I think a few others on here have puppies with clicking/cracking jaws as well - but none with observed pain. So it may or may not be related to CMO.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSorry, I've never heard of this, but at 5 months old, my male Bulldozers' bottom jaw began to jut out. It wasn't like that when we bought him, and was normal for the First 5 months. The vet says he has a severe underbite, he can't completely close his mouth, and his teeth don't meet. She says it is a genetic defect. I have his sister Blossom as well, and she doesn't have this. My breeder gave me a one year guarantee for any genetic defects, he will either give me back my money, or a new puppy. I don't want either, I love my baby just the way he is. He doesn't have any problems eating his food, and doesn't seem to have pain from it. I don't know if its the same thing as your pups , but am curious to see a picture of your dog, I'll post a picture of Dozers underbite. If its the same maybe Dozer will grow out of it too?

The third picture is when he was younger, and his jaw hadn't come out yet, the others you can see his underbite, and his tongue sticks out a lot because, his teeth don't meet, and his mouth doesn't close all the way.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am grateful and glad to hear that he'll grow into his jaw. Interesting thread -- this isn't anything I've ever heard of before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I know it's common for the jaw to grow at that age but this disorder is new to me... Many bullies have a severe underbite that starts at that age, we call them toofies! One of mine has a big underbite-- Molly. Many love her toofie look, including me! I hope your pup will be okay, sorry I am no help to you :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never heard of it... keep us posted and best of luck with him

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry, I don't have any experience with this either, hope your pup will out grow this, and have you contacted your breeder? Because what I have read is it is an inherited disease, and they should not breed this combination of sire and dam again. They should find out which one is carrying the bad gene and not breed that bully.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Daniel
&
Curtis

I am sorry your bully is in pain. There's nothing worse then seeing our pets in any kind of pain.
Like everyone else stated so far, I've never heard of this disorder either. I am hoping you will keep us all posted as we can learn from your experience and support you through this . By the way, I'd love to see pictures of your precious bully and :welcome3:
to the world of bulldogdom.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN> I have not heard of CMO before. I hope Curtis grows into his jaw and isn't in pain anymore. Ruggles has an extreme underbite, but has not been in pain with it!

OP
D

debruch

Sep 21, 2012
CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Curtis
Thank you everyone for your greetings and comments. We have notified the breeder of Curtis' disorder since it is hereditary. She has the mother, two litter mates and two other full siblings and none of them exhibited symptoms of CMO. Apparently it's a a recessive trait and sometimes is so mild that it's unnoticeable. We did hear a bit of clicking in his jaw before he was diagnosed. He doesn't have so much of an underbite as large bone growth at the bottom and sides of his jaw. Here are some photos of Curtis: the first was just after we got him, the second about a month later and the last was in late October. We still think he's extremely handsome!

Curtis_02.jpgCurtis_Face.jpgCurtis_Jaw.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh wow I can really see what you are speaking of now! Poor sweet baby!!! That does look painful and I have never seen anything like it.... It almost looks like an abcess under his jaw... But that is bone? Wow....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Brunothebulldog

Apr 13, 2015
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Thank you everyone for your greetings and comments. We have notified the breeder of Curtis' disorder since it is hereditary. She has the mother, two litter mates and two other full siblings and none of them exhibited symptoms of CMO. Apparently it's a a recessive trait and sometimes is so mild that it's unnoticeable. We did hear a bit of clicking in his jaw before he was diagnosed. He doesn't have so much of an underbite as large bone growth at the bottom and sides of his jaw. Here are some photos of Curtis: the first was just after we got him, the second about a month later and the last was in late October. We still think he's extremely handsome!

View attachment 30618View attachment 30619View attachment 30620

Hello,

So I happened to google lions jaw in English Bulldogs and your thread popped up I know it's been 3 years but I'm curious to know how your dog is doing now!? My bulldog got diagnosed with this last month and all I hear is that it's rare in English Bulldogs. It's so hard to see them suffer, please let me know your situation now with your bully

Thanks
Erika

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hello,

So I happened to google lions jaw in English Bulldogs and your thread popped up I know it's been 3 years but I'm curious to know how your dog is doing now!? My bulldog got diagnosed with this last month and all I hear is that it's rare in English Bulldogs. It's so hard to see them suffer, please let me know your situation now with your bully

Thanks
Erika

Oh Erika, I'm so sorry your bully has been dxed with this rare condition
I know nothing of it (and missed the previous thread) so was taken aback
at the pics of that bullies jaw and possible suffering.

I so hope the poster answers your request and we all learn of the outcome.
Will keep your beloved bully in my prayers, may GOD bless you & yours
and welcome to EBN.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.