General Question Should I be concerned or is it just allergies?

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank has started having a lot of gunk in his eyes I'm cleaning them 3-4 times a day this just started recently. His eyes are a bit red around the eye lids also. Its not green its a pale color to light yellow. Is this just seasonal allergies or should I be concerned of infection? I started him back on benedryl today. If its allergies how long before I see a difference?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If you give him Benadryl, it usually clears it up pretty fast, but if its an infection, you could try polysporin for eyes. How old is Tank? My female Blossom started getting red eyes, and gunk in her eyes before she got cherry eye, when she was 5 months old, we fixed the one eye when we had her spayed at 7 months, and then a week later the other eye came out , she just had surgery on the other eye on Friday.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He turned 2 October 16th. Other than some redness and the gunk his eyes look fine. The redness is more the bottom of his eyes than the sides and top.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I will take a picture in the morning hes currently passed out. I'm positive its not cherry eye. Just worried about possible infection but don't want a vet bill if its just allergies :/

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If Benadryl doesn't help, some here use Zyrtec and have good results. When it comes to the eyes, I wouldn't wait too long with a gunky discharge. Most of the time, allergies cause clear runny eyes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If he's 2, then not lucky cherry eye. If after a day on Benedryl you don't see an improvement, then you can try the Polysporin for eyes , it usually clears up minor infections, and Pink eye, but if it doesn't clear up , then you should take him to the vet. Good luck, keep us posted.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
the eyes are a pink now around the eye lids instead of red he still has the gunk though it looks more white this morning but its thick. he also woke up with a rash this morning but im not too concerned there cause he was playing with the kids yesterday evening in the wet grass and he does have a grass allergy. im going to give him more benedryl today and hope it clears up. at what point should i take him in if the gunk continues? and you can use zyrtec? does it work better than benedryl?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Zyrtek is a bit stronger it seems than Benedryl... not much. You could also try some eye drops.One of the human ones that helped HRH is call Blink Tears, lubricating eye drops. Available in drug stores. HRH no longer uses that because her vet put her on Optimmune gel for eyes, prescription which works better for her.
Food allergies can also make their eyes goopy.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Zyrtek is a bit stronger it seems than Benedryl... not much. You could also try some eye drops.One of the human ones that helped HRH is call Blink Tears, lubricating eye drops. Available in drug stores. HRH no longer uses that because her vet put her on Optimmune gel for eyes, prescription which works better for her.
Food allergies can also make their eyes goopy.

hmmm the kids did give tank there rice the other night it had cream of mushroom in it "grumbles" he has a grain and chicken allergy and dont seem to do well with any scraps except bacon and eggs :/ I didnt even think about it possibly being related....

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Now for my most likely stupid question. if it is eye infection what will they put him on? will it be about the same as pink eye drops for kids? i ask because i have 2 bottles of antibiotic eye drops for pink eye. the dr prescribed them for my kids we picked it up and before we could use it the "pink" eye was gone. ended up being allergies. thats one of the reasons i dont want to run him to the vet unless its for sure infection dont want a oops it was just allergies and a big bill again lol.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Eye infection wouold most likely call for an antibiotic of some sort. Dont know if the vet would use drops, pills, or an injection.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
....and you can use zyrtec? does it work better than benedryl?

It doesn't work better than Benadryl, it just works differently. They each use a different antihistamine. Benadryl uses diphenhydramine. Zyrtec uses cetirizine and Claritin is loratadine. All of them are different drugs used to treat the same thing.

Think of it as aspirin. When I have a headache the only thing that takes it away for me is Excedrin, I could swallow an entire bottle of Tylenol and it won't help my pain. Both Excedrin and Tylenol are pain relievers but one works for me and one doesn't. My mom only responds to Advil. Same with allergy medicines, not everyone will respond the same way to them.

My Otis gets Zyrtec because Benadryl does absolutely nothing for him. My wallet is secretly happy that he responds this way because 94% of Benadryl is processed in the kidneys whereas Zyrtec is mostly processed in the liver. That makes is much safer for Abby to take on the rare occasion she needs it so I don't have to buy both.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It doesn't work better than Benadryl, it just works differently. They each use a different antihistamine. Benadryl uses diphenhydramine. Zyrtec uses cetirizine and Claritin is loratadine. All of them are different drugs used to treat the same thing.

Think of it as aspirin. When I have a headache the only thing that takes it away for me is Excedrin, I could swallow an entire bottle of Tylenol and it won't help my pain. Both Excedrin and Tylenol are pain relievers but one works for me and one doesn't. My mom only responds to Advil. Same with allergy medicines, not everyone will respond the same way to them.

My Otis gets Zyrtec because Benadryl does absolutely nothing for him. My wallet is secretly happy that he responds this way because 94% of Benadryl is processed in the kidneys whereas Zyrtec is mostly processed in the liver. That makes is much safer for Abby to take on the rare occasion she needs it so I don't have to buy both.

Thanks :) ill have to call the vet for dosing and try it. we have zyrtec and claritin in the house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks :) ill have to call the vet for dosing and try it. we have zyrtec and claritin in the house.
`

Benedryl is mg per pound... the pills tend to be 25mg and I give Banks two in twice a day (when needed)

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thankyou bullymomma! i will try that. im starting to think its more allergies than infection cause hes rubbing his face on things and has a mild rash on the belly and chin. his ears are also a little pinker than normal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online