Help Needed! unhealthy to have such potent farts?

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
(bubbles of nasty farts; a handful or more a day usually while sleeping)

Titan my english bulldog is a little over six months and has been on "royal canin puppy 30" since we received him from his breeder. we do not allow him to eat people food what so ever and he drinks purified water but he has the nastiest farts. I know bulldogs are known for their bad gas but i was wondering if it could mean health issues? we haven't considered different food either because he seems to love the kind he is on now and it has shown us benefits in his over all health. he is very healthy in all other ways. he has had no common bulldog health issues at all and his family line doesn't show any medical issues; but just wanted to get some advice?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Honestly, I really don't think that anything Royal Canin is any good for dogs period, especially bullies. I know it's hard to take away a food that you know they love but think of it like junk food, kids love the stuff and that's kind of what this is like. I would definitely switch his food to a better quality. It probably won't help the farts but at least it's better nutritionally, right? I feed raw so I know jack about kibble but when I do have to feed them kibble I give them Fromm Beef Fritatta and they really enjoy it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My two were on Royal Canin as well when they came from the breeder, but I wasn't happy with all the fillers in it, and as it turned out my female Blossom has a lot of sensitivity it seems to foods that contain corn, fillers and chicken. I switched them to Go Natural, and they both got very loose, mushy stools, switched them back to the Royal, but again Blossom, had very pink face, chin, and ears. When they were 7 months old, I switched them to Fromms Beef Fritata, they both are doing great on this food. You can look at the ratings on this site for dog food brands, and also ask either Desertskybulldogs or Cowsmom for advice, they have a lot of experience with dog food, and were very helpful to me.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..Some Bullys have gas no matter what! I do also think Royal Canin isn't a high rated food..but if it ain't broke don't fix it! If he is doing ok and it's just the gas...he could get gas on ANY food. But if, as he gets older, starts to show different signs of developing issues, then it would be a good time to consider trying a new food. Some days Jake can make my eyes burn!! :eek:

OP
titanowners

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
thank you guys very much. we had done some looking into health benefits of royal canin but weren't sure. The fromm's is that sold at specific stores or websites you guys recommend? We do get a ton of compliments on how soft titan's coat is and we believes its from the food...does fromm's provide this as well on top of great health benefits? thank you again for the advice we really appreciate the feedback.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion RC is not that good. It has a lot of corn and other questionable fillers in it. All that unnecessary corn is fermenting is his body and producing that gas. Usko ate RC as a puppy and had really bad gas and also didn't like it at all. I switched hiw to raw at 7 months and that was the best thing I ever did. He does occasionally have gas, but not half as bad as it use to be.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was told that RC is one of the worst foods you can give your bully! I give Lola Fromm puppy right now and her hair and skin is soft! Also she doesnt get tear stains or have bad gas. I think it would be worth giving it a try!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
It could very well be that your bully also just has a great coat whether it's from the RC or anything else. My two have very different coats even though they are fed the same. Mac has always had the softest, fluffiest coat while Cleo has usually had a thinner coat that isn't nearly as soft as his. I think you'll get the same effect with the Fromm. :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I just switched Franklin to Fromm beef frittata its the four star line you can feed it from puppies to senior dogs it for all the stages so that's what's really good about it to beside It's one of the best foods you could give your dog I did try Franklin on the Fromm puppy gold he couldn't handle that one at all so it really all depends on the dog he was just on blue buffalo wilderness salmon an he had gotten really bad tear stains an these sores on his back an his coat became really dull so it all depends on the dog he could do better on a four star food then a six star food you just never know

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Since going to Grainfree - Hershey is ALMOST 'tootless' he does his bombs every now and again, but not nearly as bad as when he was a young puppy.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Kain was great on all Fromm until this new salmon brand lol, once this bag is gone, it's back to surf and turf. Brutal smells like a dead skunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
titanowners

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
thanks for all the advice. i feel so bad for feeding our fat man such un-nutritional food ahh but we have ordered the Fromm's and are hoping he loves it but i don't think he's picky haha (just hope he isn't allergic)...can't wait to see how it goes...

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was on RC when we got him from the breeder too and he had HORRENDOUS :fart::fart: and his :poo: was loose too, we switched him over to TOTW which he found so appetizing he was eating it twice. We ultimately ended up with Fromm Beef Frittatta and he is all good now. We have some treats that give him :fart: but he loves them anyway so I think Jen and I give them to him as a "haha I'm leaving Bacon home with Mom, time to arm the bomb before I leave" kinda thing. I would definitely look into a better food, as everyone mentioned before.

OP
titanowners

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
thank you thank you everyone! Titan has started on Fromm and he lovessss it...i've been integrating it into his old food slowly and his gas issues already are starting to slow down and not be so nasty :poo: ....

Titan thanks you all!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.