Help Needed! Triflexis

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I gave Otis his first Triflexis pill yesterday morning. I followed the directions and made sure he had eaten first. Within a few hours he was throwing up alot. He laid around most of the day and finally perked back up last night. First of all is throwing up sometimes common with Triflexis? What do I do about his heart worm preventative for the month? I am sure he threw up all the meds. Also, what do I do about these stinkin fleas. The fleas are the reason I changed to Triflexis in the first place. Frontline seems to no longer be working.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I haven't heard or had any bad reaction to Triflexis when we switched Pan over (only because they stopped making his regular meds)

We have tried Interceptor and
Sentinel also.

We had him on
Sentinel for years until he actually caught fleas from the neighbors dog and started having an allergic reaction to the bites. At that point the vet recommended [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Interceptor which we really liked (but the pharmaceutical company had taken a break in production to concentrate on human meds when we needed to stock up for the year. That's when we started on [/FONT]Triflexis.

For now, if he has fleas, try giving him a flea bath and vacuum vacuum vacuum. My concern is that you don't want to over medicate him by giving him another dose of meds. I know that some people use lemon water on their dogs to discourage fleas, but I've never tried it myself.
I'm sure others will be along shortly and can give more advise!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup did not do well with Trifexis. While he didn't throw up, he was VERY lethargic for the whole day and just layed around on us, acting really pitiful. We will not be giving that again. It seems that vomiting is not uncommon, either. Just google it for side effects and see what comes up! He now takes heart guard for heart worm preventative. I'm not sure what we will do about the fleas yet, but it won't be Trifexis!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't like that. I wouldn't give it either if it made the dog sick. No way.

Revolution - topical - worked really well for my Mable but I don't use flea stuff on these guys anymore, opting instead for a quality flea shampoo and a bath once about twice a month. Since they're going to get a bath anyway....I figure why not? I bought and tried a new shampoo last bath "Bio Groom Flea and Tick Shampoo". Smelled nice and they came away with bright, shiny clean coats.

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I used Trifexis on both bullies. Gunner 9 months old, for the first 2 months he was on it, would have diarrhea a day or two after taking it. On the third month he was fine. Pebbles, who is just 3 months, had her first dose on Nov 1, she threw up a little. I am giving it one more month to see with her, but I read the side effects and it's listed as a possibility. I like the all in one factor because in Florida our flea/tick is heavy if not maintained.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
i don't use Trifexis, however I do use Comfortis and Intercepter. My vet said to give them a few days apart since they are so very powerful it could make Bella sick. Now they say that Trifexis is the two combined and I can give it to Bella if I choose.....so I wonder why is it safe to give it all at once now? Just saying.

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I thought about trying it one more time and cutting the pill in half. Giving it a couple of days apart??? Just a thought!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online