Help Needed! luxating patella

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I had noticed Walter started limping randomly the other week, never in pain, didn't restrict anything he did normally. It started after he got neutered so I was thinking he was just a little sore afterwards. Limping continued well after the surgery so I brought him in the the vet and they said he had a luxating patella. The vet said he should have surgery to repair it but since he is only 7 months old, she wants to wait until he has his full bone growth.
I have two questions:
1. Has anybody had this surgery done on a young bulldog? If so what should I expect? (recovery, cost, etc)
2. Is this something I should be contacting the breeder about?

Thanks for any help

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We rescued a bully with this, but he was older, so no help on the young pup, but I would think your vet is right as the growth plates can take a year to harden. The cost just depends on the vet. I think the surgery for Cash was around $1200.00, but can't remember exactly. The vet told us if we didn't get the surgery done, then he would loose the use of that leg. The recovery was several months, before he was 100%. Plus I would definitely contact the breeder, as they should help with the cost on this, in my opinion. If they do not then they are not a reputable breeder in my opinion, because if this were one of mine I would want to know about it, so I would try to find out which side it came from and not breed that gene pool again, plus I would take care of the problem.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi [MENTION=5106]Walter323[/MENTION], and welcome!
i had the same situation.... My male Wilbur was diagnosed with this at 8 months. Our surgeon advised that it was ok, in fact preferrable, to have the surgery right away since he was still growing and will heal quickly. By the time we got in, he was nearly 9.5 months. I had him on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication in the interim ( and had to prevent two puppy litter mates from playing with each other). I was a wreck the day of the surgery, and lost my mind when I saw his swollen, shaved and stapled leg.
Recovery was 4 months in total, the first 12 weeks were the critical healing stage. Again I had to keep the dogs separated ( to prevent rough housing), and assist Wilbur with a sling to help him goto the bathroom. I carried him everywhere as stairs were a huge no- no. He had to learn stairs all over again. I followed a strict rehab protocol the surgeon gave me ( and I do work full time, so it was good that my dogs were already crate trained . It was invaluable during this)...

I can tell you in absolute truth that he is now stronger than he ever was, and his surgical leg is the stronger leg. His leg muscles in that leg had never developed, since this was likely a weak leg and he favoured it from birth. His other leg also exhibits luxating patella, but only grade 2. Hopefully it will never require surgery.

the cost in all was $3100, withx-rays etc. my insurance covered $2400. I am not sure what your cost is like there?
i told my breeder, but it was just sort of an FYI. I don't hold the breeder responsible, this is the luck of the draw sometimes with this breed (Layla is fine).

It was hard during the recovery but of course I am so glad it is done. He is a happy healthy boy. We also had his nose done- nares were pinched severely, restricting his breathing . He is great now.

If you want more info please don't hesitate to PM me!

I am sure lots of others will weigh in too.....
Best of luck!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5106]Walter323[/MENTION] do you have insurance for your bully? If not I would get it now so it can offset some of cost that is going to be associated with the surgery.

OP
Walter323

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
No insurance but the vet said the surgery normally costs between 500-800. After doing a little checking around that seems to be pretty reasonable! I'm pretty sure I'm getting a "you have an awesome dog" discount. We ordered some arthritis pills with glucosamine to hopefully help until he is full grown enough for surgery.

marieera

Dec 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
stich
My Stichy has it in both knees. I took him to an orthopedic surgeon and they told me they would not operate on him because of his breed due to their breathing. He has to walk 3times a day to build the muscle around the cap and they have him on dasquin. He is not allowed to jump up or down. He is doing pretty good, and both were grade 3-4. He has an orthopedic bed for support and I massage and work range of motion everyday.. Love that little guy he is 4yrs old

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have no experience but just wanted to give you a :hug: and hope all goes well with the surgery

Coker98

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver Crowell
Surgery is usually around 1200. If youre getting it for 7-800, that a deal. Take it and run.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Surgery is usually around 1200. If your getting it for 7-800, that a deal. Take it and run.

Agreed.... 800 is cheap. Nitschke had to have this surgery with an ACL replacement.... it was close to $2500

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Sounds like a great deal! I would pay that have it done and quickly!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.