General Question Coconut oil in food

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I give it to Ace, he is 16 wks old. I started out with about 1/4 of a teaspoon and the gradually increased to about one teaspoon a day. As he gets older I may increase a bit. You don't need to try and liquefy it just put some on a dish and they will eat it up. It tastes pretty good and I take it too. Its also really good on your skin and I have read you can use it on some skin problems with your dog as a topical as well. You want to use the unrefined and cold pressed. I have noticed that it does seem to ramp up the energy level soon after he takes it and have read that it does lend itself to increase in metabolism. I bought mine from Vitacost where I buy all my vitamins. I purchased Nature's Way EfaGold its about 9 dollars for 16oz from vitacost

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I was told by my vet to NEVER use it.

I was at the time and Otis loved it, ate his food like there was no tomorrow.

The sugars in the coconut are not good per my vet and it adds calories that he should not have. I no longer use it. He did say the salmon oil is the best to use.

First time I've ever heard that!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I use the grizzly salmon oil for all my dogs except Bella who is allergic to salmon. So I'm considering giving her the coconut oil instead.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I use the grizzly salmon oil for all my dogs except Bella who is allergic to salmon. So I'm considering giving her the coconut oil instead.

That's why I started using it too. Emma's face was always pink and I suspected the salmon oil. Once I took her off of it her face pinkness went away. She just had a sensitivity to it. After I finished the salmon oil I had for the other two I just switched them over to the coconut oil. They're coats are as nice as they were on the salmon oil too.

I've never heard that either [MENTION=4763]LynnA[/MENTION]. I have to take Emma back to the vet on the 2nd and will ask my vet then what he thinks.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
That's why I started using it too. Emma's face was always pink and I suspected the salmon oil. Once I took her off of it her face pinkness went away. She just had a sensitivity to it. After I finished the salmon oil I had for the other two I just switched them over to the coconut oil. They're coats are as nice as they were on the salmon oil too.

I've never heard that either @LynnA. I have to take Emma back to the vet on the 2nd and will ask my vet then what he thinks.

Please let me know if they agree, I'd be interested in another opinion. My vet has much experience with EB's so I really take his word for it - Otis was putting on the lbs between the oil and the high protein kibble I was giving him. He's not at his ideal weight yet but certainly those two changes have helped.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Please let me know if they agree, I'd be interested in another opinion. My vet has much experience with EB's so I really take his word for it - Otis was putting on the lbs between the oil and the high protein kibble I was giving him. He's not at his ideal weight yet but certainly those two changes have helped.
Same here, mine just about only sees bullys and that's what he's known for, his bully experience. Sounds like between our vets it'll be an even comparison. I haven't seemed to have any weight issues but my guys are on a 26% protein based food right now. I'll report back in a few weeks. :up:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Same here, mine just about only sees bullys and that's what he's known for, his bully experience. Sounds like between our vets it'll be an even comparison. I haven't seemed to have any weight issues but my guys are on a 26% protein based food right now. I'll report back in a few weeks. :up:

Thats the perfect protein percentage, he asked me to change to 26% or under, which I did - currently at 24%. Excited to hear, always interested in what other vets say.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was told by my vet to NEVER use it.

I was at the time and Otis loved it, ate his food like there was no tomorrow.

The sugars in the coconut are not good per my vet and it adds calories that he should not have. I no longer use it. He did say the salmon oil is the best to use.

That's what I was about to post about. Coconut oil can add up to 140 calories per tablespoon. It's great if you are trying to put weight on your dog, but nosomuch if you're trying to maintain a healthy weight or lose some.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
That's what I was about to post about. Coconut oil can add up to 140 calories per tablespoon. It's great if you are trying to put weight on your dog, but nosomuch if you're trying to maintain a healthy weight or lose some.

Yup, exactly. Salmon Oil is much better all around for skin and coat.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.