General Question Coconut oil in food

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone I read here . somewhere ,that coconut oil helps with skin issues and was over all a great supplement to give ebd's. When I first looked on line it looked expensive and then the other day at the Publix where I shop. in the organic section. I saw a jar of it so I picked it up and am wondering how much does everyone give their dogs? I put about a tablespoon on a few banana slices yesterday and I had to put the jar in the microwave to soften in up a bit. Thanks Hero

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sorry, I'm no help I give my dogs Grizzly Salmon Oil, I'm allergic to Coconut so can't take the chance of using it. Hope it helps though, keep us updated please

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never used it yet either, but I want to!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's a great thing to take, animals or humans! It supports immune system function,
regulates metabolism (lose weight, effortlessly), great for hair & skin health and so
many great things...google it! Yes, you want to use the organic, cold pressed and take
about a TSP to a TBSP daily. It's great to cook with (use unflavored)or add to milk,juice
or smoothies (use coconut flavor)...just a wonderful & healthy oil, food, supplement.

I alternate using this with the salmon oil for Brutus, has healed skin sores and thickened
his coat and soft & shiny in 3 months time.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi there, I have tried this with my Linus for a bit to help with his skin problems but I didn't see any results. I read online to give that you should give one teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight so I started there and was faithful for a few weeks but I didn't see any improvement with his skin, I lost steam, and now it's sitting in my cupboard. I should try it again for more time...I just got lazy. But let me know how it works for your baby! I have heard the health benefits (seen and unseen) can be dramatic!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have tried it with Lola and I love it! She eats her food really fast when I put it on there so she must love the taste. I started with one tsp a day for 4 days then I went up to 2 tsp a day and that is what I have kept her on, Im sure you could give more than that but those dose seems to work for us!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. In the grocery store it wasn't as expensive as on line. I think I paid $9.00 for a jar of it. Like the size of a jar of peanut butter in the organic section I do have to microwave it without the metal lid on to liquify it but I am going to put it on his sliced bananas with peanut butter every morning and see if it helps at all . Thanks Hero

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We mixed it into HRH's food for a while. Switched to fish oil pills instead as we think she may have been slightly allergic to the coconut oil... not sure .

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Ok..I did it again......:crying: I just gave both my bulldogs cocnut oil for the first time. I melted up 2 tbsp appro. for each dog and put it on their food. Now I'm reading that I should of put only about 2 tsps. instead. Is this going to hurt them? I'm scared to death..=`( Can anyone help with this question? Please and thank you. They weigh about 45 -50 lbs. for the male, and 40-45 lbs. for the female.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ok..I did it again......:crying: I just gave both my bulldogs cocnut oil for the first time. I melted up 2 tbsp appro. for each dog and put it on their food. Now I'm reading that I should of put only about 2 tsps. instead. Is this going to hurt them? I'm scared to death..=`( Can anyone help with this question? Please and thank you. They weigh about 45 -50 lbs. for the male, and 40-45 lbs. for the female.

Not to worry...it's just a starting dose suggestion, BTW...do not melt it in the microwave (destroys nutrients)

They will usually eat it in the solid form but if you want to soften or liquify, put in a small jar or bowl then sit in
a larger bowl of hot water.

Just start back with a teaspoon each then in a couple weeks, give them 2 teaspoons each or 1 TBSP each and
do every other day.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I give a full spoon and just add to her food, she LOVES it! Costco has a huge container for only 15 bucks (5 times bigger than the store size)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I think my guys get about 2 teaspoons to a tablespoon once a day. They love it. I used to use the salmon oil but have moved over to the extra virgin coconut oil. It seems pricey at first but it last quite a while too. You don't need to soften it up. I just scoop it out with a knife like I would peanut butter. Just put it in and they'll gobble it up. :up:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I was told by my vet to NEVER use it.

I was at the time and Otis loved it, ate his food like there was no tomorrow.

The sugars in the coconut are not good per my vet and it adds calories that he should not have. I no longer use it. He did say the salmon oil is the best to use.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.