Help Needed! Please help me decide which puppy to choose? Please respond...

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Trust your instincts to help guide you. See what the vet says and if it is just a cold or virus or something more serious. If it is just a cold or virus, I'd still plan on getting him, but would wait until he is completely over it. He will recover quicker within his comfort zone. Changing homes and leaving his litter mates and momma will be stressful for him and if he doesn't feel good it could be even worse. Plus new puppies can be stressful for mom and dad and even worse if you are constantly worried that he may be sick. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay, I have a lot to say so please bare with me!

Aspiration is the leading cause of upper respiratory infection and it's easy to see why.

Pups fight over food and if there is a large number of pups in the litter they will become greedy and eat too fast. A lot of young pups have a clear nose discharge because they drink so fast. This usually goes away. They aspirate a lot when the eat and drink too. But if all of the aspirated milk does not come out of their lungs that is how the infection comes. Usually they get it all out. A lot of it has to do with # of pups in the litter and feeding positions.

Now on the other hand, usually if you have any of these problems in a litter it happens while they are still quite young. One of my pups aspirated when he was a couple weeks old, and became very sick with an URI. We saved his life and he is now a very happy and healthy bulldog with no issues, he is my boy Tidus. He has such a good breathing system he hardly even snores.

At 8 weeks old I would not think any of them should sound wheezy. But I have more experience in this so what I consider wheezy may not be the same as what you consider.

What I would do in your shoes is go with the breeder and male and female pup to the vet. Express your concerns with the vet and get his/her opinion. I would offer to pay for or split the cost with the breeder of the visit so she agrees.

We did this with baby Vegas, once we found out he had a heart murmur. I was the one who offered this idea, so we did pay for the visits-- but i know others may do it differently.

We took two pups to the vet with Vegas's mom so she could decide. She chose the other puppy based upon the vets opinion. It all worked out in the end because now baby Vegas has a new name-- Remy, and a wonderful home with Kim, and baby Cutty who is now Bentley is ruler of his home with Silvia. Both matches made in heaven. :heart:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Okay, I have a lot to say so please bare with me!

Aspiration is the leading cause of upper respiratory infection and it's easy to see why.

Pups fight over food and if there is a large number of pups in the litter they will become greedy and eat too fast. A lot of young pups have a clear nose discharge because they drink so fast. This usually goes away. They aspirate a lot when the eat and drink too. But if all of the aspirated milk does not come out of their lungs that is how the infection comes. Usually they get it all out. A lot of it has to do with # of pups in the litter and feeding positions.

Now on the other hand, usually if you have any of these problems in a litter it happens while they are still quite young. One of my pups aspirated when he was a couple weeks old, and became very sick with an URI. We saved his life and he is now a very happy and healthy bulldog with no issues, he is my boy Tidus. He has such a good breathing system he hardly even snores.

At 8 weeks old I would not think any of them should sound wheezy. But I have more experience in this so what I consider wheezy may not be the same as what you consider.

What I would do in your shoes is go with the breeder and male and female pup to the vet. Express your concerns with the vet and get his/her opinion. I would offer to pay for or split the cost with the breeder of the visit so she agrees.

We did this with baby Vegas, once we found out he had a heart murmur. I was the one who offered this idea, so we did pay for the visits-- but i know others may do it differently.

We took two pups to the vet with Vegas's mom so she could decide. She chose the other puppy based upon the vets opinion. It all worked out in the end because now baby Vegas has a new name-- Remy, and a wonderful home with Kim, and baby Cutty who is now Bentley is ruler of his home with Silvia. Both matches made in heaven. :heart:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

That's a great idea, thank you for the information. I check with my breeder about that tonight. Thanks again everyone. It's good to know that there is a forum such as this one to help with any questions i may have.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Questions? does your breeder offer a health certification. A good breeder does. The contract should also state that you have 3 days to visit your vet with your new puppy for an agreement that it is a healthy puppy.If the puppy is not healthy, The breeder should offer you a part or half the cost of the puppy, or another puppy of your choice in the future, if they don't have any available now.
If I were in your shoes, I'd wait to see the male puppy healthy and then take him to your vet.

Hope this gives you some assurance

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Questions? does your breeder offer a health certification. A good breeder does. The contract should also state that you have 3 days to visit your vet with your new puppy for an agreement that it is a healthy puppy.If the puppy is not healthy, The breeder should offer you a part or half the cost of the puppy, or another puppy of your choice in the future, if they don't have any available now.
If I were in your shoes, I'd wait to see the male puppy healthy and then take him to your vet.

Hope this gives you some assurance

Yes, they do offer a health guarantee. ty for your reply

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Good news, little Henry as i'm calling him currently is doing better. The Vet and the breeder could't find anything wrong with him after running all the tests and checking the stool. They figure it's something upper respiratory like a cold. The breeder says he's starting to come around and feel better. The breeder went ahead and put all the remaining pups on antibiotics. Even though the other pups were feeling fine, she thought it best to treat them all with antiobiotics to be on the safe side. She told me that i should be able to pick up lil Henry sometime next week or the other available female if i so choose.

L

Lucy-licious

Good news, little Henry as i'm calling him currently is doing better. The Vet and the breeder could't find anything wrong with him after running all the tests and checking the stool. They figure it's something upper respiratory like a cold. The breeder says he's starting to come around and feel better. The breeder went ahead and put all the remaining pups on antibiotics. Even though the other pups were feeling fine, she thought it best to treat them all with antiobiotics to be on the safe side. She told me that i should be able to pick up lil Henry sometime next week or the other available female if i so choose.

Sonds like you and Henry will very soon be having some snuggle time :) So happy he's doing well and its nothing too serious xx

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

I know you are anxious to get baby Henry....I've been in your shoes! When Bea came home, it was like I BIRTHED THE BABY! That being said, letting little Henry fully recover in the warmth and comfort of his family pack could be an additional consideration. Leaving him with mom for another week or so might KILL YOU ha ha but it could help Henry in the long term.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

so glad it was nothing too serious and happy to hear he will be coming home soon --- best of luck with him and don't forget to come back and post pictures.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the great advice above, check with the vet, and then make a your decision. Sounds like your breeder is being reasonable with you, and that Henry is doing better. Hope you bring Henry home soon. Good luck, and keep us psted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw well yes let him recover fully then get him. oh i cant wait to see pics and i hope you will come back and post some :D

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Im late to this thread :( You have gotten some great advice already!

I am so glad everything worked out for you and your little boy will be going home with you soon! You sound like you are going to be an amazing bullie parent! He is a lucky pup to have found you! Hope you stay here with us so we can watch him grow with you! be sure to post pictures for us too :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.