Help Needed! Please help me decide which puppy to choose? Please respond...

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I put a deposit on a male English Bulldog and was supposed to pick the little guy up this Friday.
The Breeder calls me today very concerned telling me that she thought my bully had parvo and was taking him to the vet to diagnose. He would not eat, and had loose stool (not diarrhea) and was running a fever. He was perfectly healthy acting until this morning. Well word got back to me that he did not have parvo and after having a lot of tests done, the vet came to the conclusion that it was an Upper Respiratory issue. He will be put on antiobiotics and and will reside the vet until he can be picked up tonight by the breeder. The breeder said that he definitely will not be ready to pick up on Friday, and that she will keep him until he recovers (hopefully).

Would it be a bad decision to wait it out and still pick up this puppy when its healthy again or is this a sign for more issues to come. Is this something that would effect me getting pet insurance on the puppy?

All the other pups in the litter are healthy and doing fine she said. She has already offerred to give me my deposit back or said i could have the 1 female that is left.

I have no problems taking home the female as all the puppies in the litter were adorable. I just had my heart set on a male was all. Any help would be appreciated.

-the pups will be 8 weeks old on Friday

Last edited:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
if it were me I would wait to see how he does if your heart is set on him but I would want to find out more about what is going on with him, is it just a cold or is it more then that ... going to tag others who can give more solid advice

@desertskybulldogs @Davidh

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I will try and get opinions from a few people tht have lots of puppy experience. Good Luck to you!

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Ty for the replies so far. It'd be much appreciated if someone could give me some advice from a past experience. I just really want a healthy pup.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Wait for desertsky and davidh to chime in they both have experience with puppies and breeding, I'm no help just wanted to say welcome to EBN :smileywelcome:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
For me it would really depend on what the "upper respiratory issues" were. Is this a cold or is it something they feel is going to be reoccurring and a permanent health issues? As it doesn't seem the breeder is hiding anything from you, I would see if you could talk to the vet directly and ask questions regarding the diagnosis and implications on the future health.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just wait it out to see how fast he recovers and try to find out what exactly he had. Pups can get into all sorts of things. I don't think this will affect per insurance as long as it was just an infection. Keep us posted as to what the breeder says he had.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
For me it would really depend on what the "upper respiratory issues" were. Is this a cold or is it something they feel is going to be reoccurring and a permanent health issues? As it doesn't seem the breeder is hiding anything from you, I would see if you could talk to the vet directly and ask questions regarding the diagnosis and implications on the future health.

ty, i'm lucky to have gone to a breeder that is very honest about what is going on with the pup. That is my main concern of if it is something that will be reoccurring and permanent.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I would just wait it out to see how fast he recovers and try to find out what exactly he had. Pups can get into all sorts of things. I don't think this will affect per insurance as long as it was just an infection. Keep us posted as to what the breeder says he had.

ty for your reply. Could you or someone answer another question i have? The reason i picked the male was because he seemed to have a clear nasal passage and i couldn't hear him breathing through it. The female that is available seemed to have kind of a windy/wheezy type noise coming from her when she inhaled. The breeder said that all her females in the litter have been like that and thought there nasal passages should open up more with time. Is that normal?

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Any chance you could speak to the vet for some reassurance?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm wondering if they just have narrow nares or an elongated palate. A vet would be able to tell you.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I would stay away from a puppy that is a noisy breather, that is an indication there is an elongated palate that could require surgery, a smaller than normal trachea, small nostrils. All of these things effect breathing and contribute to heart and lung problems in adults. You need to talk with the vet regarding your male pup. You want to make sure this was just a cold and that the puppy has no other health problems.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
So that would definitely not be normal to be hearing any "air" when a bulldog is inhaling through the nose kind of like being a little stuffy? It's not really noisy, you can only hear it if you put the puppy right next to your ear. The male didn't have that issue and thats mainly why i picked him, and also the fact that he came to me first instead of my girlfriend. I'm definitely crossing my fingers that it was only a cold. Should find out for sure tonight.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online