Help Needed! Help! Ouchie from Brutus' collar

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Yesterday Brutus got his weekly bath, when I went to take his collar off I noticed it was making his wrinkles in his neck look squished. I was able to put all four fingers in there...... but I think it might have been to tight, or:ashamed: possibly a hot spot...... When I took it off, underneath where the little plastic clips were was all red and dirty. At first I thought it was just dirt, but once I got the dirt off I noticed his skin was pink and looked irritated. Have any of you ever had a problem with a collar? Brutus is my first EBD and I ALWAYS check to make sure it has enough room, however it never crossed my mind (bad Mom) that he has all that loose squishy skin and it still could be to tight! I feel terrible like I failed my baby......but still wondering if it could be a hot spot? I left his collar off and put some neosporin on it to see if that will help. He doesn't act like it bothers him at all, and fortunetly it's in a spot that he can't get to. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I'll try to get a picture tonight and upload.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't leave collars on my bullies when they're in the house. Much like their wrinkles, which get wet and irritated - and eventually grow yeast - so it sounds like that's what's going on.

It sounds like the fix is easy, if you're comfortable with it, which is leaving the collar off in the house. If not, maybe consider washing and drying under the collar every day so it doesn't get that build up.

Poor guy...hope he's better soon!

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
We go to get him chipped at the end of this month, so I've been hesitant about not having his collar on... I'm always scared he might get out of the yard and someone not know he is my baby! I think we will not be going back to it though, 100% happy & healthy Brutus is what matters most

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We don't leave a collar on Bacon ever unless he is leaving the house, this did happen to him when we were in Ocean City MD because we took him to the beach and there was sand between his harness and his skin that acted like sand paper. If you are worried about him being outside w/o his collar you could just clip it on him when you let him out then take it back off when he is back inside the house.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I agree with Baconator, you could put the collar on when letting Brutus out into the yard and take it off when he comes back in or at least take it off at night when he is going to be in the house for the rest of the night that way his skin has breathing room so to speak.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We had that problem, too! After doing a little research, I discovered that the inexpensive nylon colars hold dirt and bacteria that will cause irritation and that some dogs can also be allergic to the nylon. It was noted that leather is MUCH better for them. We switched to a goog quality leather collar and have had no problems since. I always keep a collar on Tank with his tags, heaven forbid he ever get out. It also comes in handy if I have to do a quick grab when someone comes to the door or if I need him to stand still while grooming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Once he is full grown we wanted to get him a nice collar with his name on it (plus his tags) but since he is growing so fast didn't want to spend $$$ until then. Thank you for the advise, we will deff. be doing w/ leather when he is a little older....for now no collar in the house

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Another thing to think about with collars is choking. Mine don't wear collars unless we leave the home either but one thing cuttys breeder told me to use was a break away collar. She had a pup she had sold die from choking. Pup jumped up and got caught on the drawer or something, choked to death. Very sad.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny doesn't wear a collar for that reason. Growing up we had a dog that got his collar stuck in the deck and almost choked to death. When we leave the house with him we put one on him. He isn't left in the backyard without us there and figure if he were to escape somehow without our noticing, than that is why he is microchipped. Knowing Gunny he is far more apt to get it caught on something and choking than wandering away.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Not to be too gruesome or anything but I've had an image stuck in my head for the past 15 years or so that makes me terrified to keep a collar on my guys when they are out of my sight.

I was driving home from work one day and I passed this house. The dog must've been trying to get something or someone and jumped up on the fence. His collar must've gotten stuck because there he was, just hanging there from the fence suspended in the air.

Thankfully others had seen it too stopped because there were a bunch of people either banging on the door or trying to save the dog.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We don't leave collars on when they are in the house either. The only time they have a collar on is when we go somewhere or for a walk. When they are outside in the back yard we are always out there with them, even though we have a fenced in yard.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We don't leave collars on when they are in the house either. The only time they have a collar on is when we go somewhere or for a walk. When they are outside in the back yard we are always out there with them, even though we have a fenced in yard.

^^^^ ditto for us .. no collar in house at all

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online