Help Needed! wrinkle cleaning tactics??

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hermans face is starting to stink - his wrinkles are wet during the day (they are surprisingly dry when he wakes up in the morning). I clean them twice a day after he eats with a wet cloth (water only, cant have anything with a scent or he'll run and hide - except his Johnson's Baby Wash, thats OK) and I dry them a number of times during the day - but that doesnt seem to be helping :( he does get ACV in his food daily (he loves it).

so i'm going to need to get some thing stronger and really figure out how to get the gold bond or desitin in the wrinkles!!!! He let me wipe and wipe and wipe last night while he was sleepy...so I sneaked and got the cream. He can smell it from a mile away - he freaked out in his too small crate so i managed to only get one dab on there which isnt' helpful LOL

How in the heck do you get the scented wipes and desitin in to the wrinkles if the dog is a maniac when any kind of scented wipe, round wipe or ointment or cream comes within inches of his face????

I dont want to hold him down because he's so squirmy and strong I dont want to hurt him :( I tried getting him on his back between my legs with a treat then I was paranoid he was choking LOL

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It can be difficult when they don't cooperate, but I fear that you are gonna have to go with something stronger than baby wipes. I use Malacetic wipes because Tank's face stays wet, too and these wipes have medicine to hep with yeast and bacteria. Although they don't smell like medicine, but have a fruity scent instead, my boy is not a fan of face washing. He reminds me of a little kid, twisting and turning his head and hating it. LOL, but he doesnt mind his other parts getting washed and he REALLY likes the treats that are always given when done. Have you tried rewarding after cleaning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
It can be difficult when they don't cooperate, but I fear that you are gonna have to go with something stronger than baby wipes. I use Malacetic wipes because Tank's face stays wet, too and these wipes have medicine to hep with yeast and bacteria. Although they don't smell like medicine, but have a fruity scent instead, my boy is not a fan of face washing. He reminds me of a little kid, twisting and turning his head and hating it. LOL, but he doesnt mind his other parts getting washed and he REALLY likes the treats that are always given when done. Have you tried rewarding after cleaning?

Yep, he gets rewards. Herman loves any other part wiped as well. And he will let me wipe his face with unscented wipes - but he hates douxo pads, and they smell kind of fruity. Is there anything unscented that's medicated? I even tried with his medicated shampoo and a towel - after that he stopped letting me use towels for a while LOL

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
have you tried putting him up on a different surface other then the floor? once my son leaves for the Military the first thing I am going to do is buy a grooming table my two do soooooo much better with everything when on the grooming table but my son doesn't think I need one in the house ... so right now I put them up on the washer or dryer and stand them on a non slip rug and do the grooming, face folds, tail pocket, over all body wipe down and nail trimming it works ok up there they stand pretty still but I'm short so it's a little high.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
have you tried putting him up on a different surface other then the floor? once my son leaves for the Military the first thing I am going to do is buy a grooming table my two do soooooo much better with everything when on the grooming table but my son doesn't think I need one in the house ... so right now I put them up on the washer or dryer and stand them on a non slip rug and do the grooming, face folds, tail pocket, over all body wipe down and nail trimming it works ok up there they stand pretty still but I'm short so it's a little high.

i do know he wont move much if he's up there, i can see he's paranoid at the vets. i dont have any real sturdy surfaces, and to struggle to get him up there multiple times a day might be a little trying. i might have room on the porch for something to put him on. it would be cool if there was some table you can shove them onto and then pump them up in the air like a barber's chair LOL i think there is but its big and expensive. he's so QUICK it can be hard to catch him before he runs under the sofa once he learns what getting on the table means LOL

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
What's worked with Aubie...

I dry her wrinkles 3 times daily. In the morning I use a cotton ball to apply witch hazel. After work I put a little apple cider vinegar. Then before bed I put witch hazel again. Her eyes look awesome! The only thing is it is taking a little bit for her hair to grow back on her left eye wrinkle (its always the worst and most moist). The desitin just stopped working well for her, but this is working great so far.

Edited to add..
Aubie likes the smell of the witch hazel and vinegar.. she hated the desitin cream!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If the wrinkles are that bad that you have to clean them so often a change of food could be in order or have their eyes checked by the vet. And they're not supposed to smell, it could be a sign of yeast and that can come again down to not the best possible food.
I use colloidal silver to clean(no smell) and then Desitin...and when Usko see's me with the tube, he goes running under the table..me right behind him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hermans face is starting to stink - his wrinkles are wet during the day (they are surprisingly dry when he wakes up in the morning). I clean them twice a day after he eats with a wet cloth (water only, cant have anything with a scent or he'll run and hide - except his Johnson's Baby Wash, thats OK) and I dry them a number of times during the day - but that doesnt seem to be helping :( he does get ACV in his food daily (he loves it).

so i'm going to need to get some thing stronger and really figure out how to get the gold bond or desitin in the wrinkles!!!! He let me wipe and wipe and wipe last night while he was sleepy...so I sneaked and got the cream. He can smell it from a mile away - he freaked out in his too small crate so i managed to only get one dab on there which isnt' helpful LOL

How in the heck do you get the scented wipes and desitin in to the wrinkles if the dog is a maniac when any kind of scented wipe, round wipe or ointment or cream comes within inches of his face????

I dont want to hold him down because he's so squirmy and strong I dont want to hurt him :( I tried getting him on his back between my legs with a treat then I was paranoid he was choking LOL

I have the same thing with Banks... wakes up nice, clean and dry -- it is environmental allergies. Give some Benedry to lessen the tearing during the day hours and I use witch hazel to clean as needed and desitin to help with the raw/sorness

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have the same thing with Banks... wakes up nice, clean and dry -- it is environmental allergies. Give some Benedry to lessen the tearing during the day hours and I use witch hazel to clean as needed and desitin to help with the raw/sorness

thanks - how often do you think i should give it to him? he's 53 pounds, but i still only give him one when I do give it to him. and when i do, i only give it to him once per day. but maybe i need to do it more regularly. he's probably got the same dust allergies that I do - i wake up hacking and sneezing, so i am trying to figure out how to remedy that. i notice he sneezes time he walks out the door as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks - how often do you think i should give it to him? he's 53 pounds, but i still only give him one when I do give it to him. and when i do, i only give it to him once per day. but maybe i need to do it more regularly. he's probably got the same dust allergies that I do - i wake up hacking and sneezing, so i am trying to figure out how to remedy that. i notice he sneezes time he walks out the door as well.

I give her two in the morning with breakfast..and depending on how she looks when I get home, she might get two more. You can give him two 25mg pills up to 3x days

AllisonXX

Nov 8, 2012
Northwest Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Monty gets tiny pieces of meat during his face cleaning. He doesn't like the witch hazel smell but will turn towards it if it means he gets a bit of hot dog.

Most Reactions

Members online