Help Needed! hives/food recommendations

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hey guys my 7 month old bulldog buddha broke out in hives last night. its happen before and we give him benadryl it usually does the trick but this time its so much different his whole face is swollen he seems so uncomfortable and itchy, and hes been sleeping all day which is not like him at all. ive called his vet and will be taking him. i honestly think its the food he started off with the blue buffalo for puppies (which he was allergic to) now hes on wellness but im pretty sure thats the reason why he broke out i was wondering what i can switch him to. any recommendations ?
202792_4599104102778_2011144854_o.jpg

Attachments

• IMG062.jpg
    IMG062.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 112

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my female has allergies so both my dogs are kept on a grain free diet ... they get Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw (I switch between Embark & Force to add a variety to their meals) and once re-hydrated with hot water I add it to kibble ... I'm getting ready to switch kibble yet again because my male isn't handling the current kibble (TOTW High Prairie) very well but I'm pretty sure I plan to switch them back to Wellness Core. I believe that [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is EBN's food guru so I hope she will be able to answer some questions for you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I'm thinking some beef n rice for a few days then we can try something else. Is he still on puppy food at 7 months he should be on adult food. I would try something grain free. What do u have available and can you order something. Let me know

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with above advice, bland diet for a few days, then switch to an adult grain free food. I have a female 8 mos old, and a male 8 months old, they are brother and sister, they came from the breeder on Royal Canin. I wasn't happy with the corn and fillers in this food, so at 6 months old, I switched them to Go Natural. My male has a cast iron stomach and can pretty well eat anything including, gauze bandages, rocks, socks, anything really, but that's another story lol. My female has a lot of sensitivity and I suspect allergies to chicken and corn or grains? I switched them to Fromms Puppy Gold, but Blossom got diarrhea , and her face, chin, ears, and eyes were all pink, and her eyes were teary. I then switched them both to Fromms Beef Fritata, adult formula at 8 months old, and its been a month, both are doing well on this food, stools are normal, and Blossom no longer has pink in her face. Good luck , hope you find a good food that agrees with her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When you switched food brands, did you also change the protein and is the food grain free?

Also, is it possible he got bit by a bug/bee/spider? Banks had this happen twice and her face swelled so bably we had to rush her to ER because her breathing was very labored.... we believe it was a spider bite the one time and the second was her walking into a tree she is allergic to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online