Help Needed! One testicle hasn't dropped

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm super picky about the vet that I go to. It took me forever to find one that didn't suck. I still dislike one of the doctors there (she really isn't a people person and got pretty snooty when she found out I didn't know what Remi's 'rents looked like and seemed to really turn her nose down at me when she found out I got him in PA like I bought him from the Amish or something) Anyway, that was a total side note, but really left a bad taste in my mouth.

She also added $100 to my bill for flea medicine and heart-worm medicine without telling me how much it was or asked if I wanted it. (I honestly would have gotten it online... but... I didn't want to make a scene.) Regardless, I feel a little taken!!! So...

The issue is that they can't find one of Remi's testicles. He also just turned 4 months old today. The chance of it dropping in 2 months is pretty slim, so I'm told.

The quote for the surgery? Almost $500. Is this normal? High? Should I get a second opinion?

Thanks in advance. Augh, I'm just so aggravated!

UPDATE: Looks like vet gave me vectra 3d for Remi, and I checked online, and the product has been discontinued????

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Check the recommended VET list here on EBN.

As for the testicle, yes, it COULD take up to 6 months for a drop. At 4 months, the vet should (hopefully) be able to feel where the other testicle is located. There are concerns if the testicle is within the ab or external to the ab and just simply not in the sack.

One surgery can stretch the cord and place the testicle in the sack and then tack in place. If the cord is not long enough to stretch, removal is an option, only if breeding is considered.

And yes...a single testicle dog can still produce....:yes:

Good Day~

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake's second testicle didn't drop until 9 or 10 months. Every region is a bit different in pricing,,but Jake was about $400 and that included repairing his umbillical hernia.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wow I only paid $150 and Diesel had to have the search and find for his second testicle but my vet didn't charge me for that, when I went to her I told her that I had been quoted $400 over on the coast where I use to live they doubled the cost of the surgery because only 1 testicle had dropped and the other was hiding, she said wow that was harsh .. kinda made me laugh. So when she did his neuter she had to find the other testicle and make another incision to get it out but she didn't consider it a second surgery like the other vet was going to do. When she handed the office staff the chart she smiled and patted me on the back and then they told me the price was only $150 I swung around but she was already gone I swear I wanted to cry and then find her and hug her!!!! (she got that hug when I picked him up from surgery)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's didn't drop until he was 6 or 7 months. I would give it a little more time. :yes:

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So it sounds like most vote is nothing is too much for our bullies. If this is a rate people are paying, I feel much better. Will keep you posted, we still have 2 months before we start the process (maybe wait a little longer for the testicle to drop)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm late this but I see you have gotten great advice on the testicle part of your question. But I just wanted to chime in and say that this↓↓ bothers me

I'm super picky about the vet that I go to. It took me forever to find one that didn't suck. I still dislike one of the doctors there (she really isn't a people person and got pretty snooty when she found out I didn't know what Remi's 'rents looked like and seemed to really turn her nose down at me when she found out I got him in PA like I bought him from the Amish or something) Anyway, that was a total side note, but really left a bad taste in my mouth.

She also added $100 to my bill for flea medicine and heart-worm medicine without telling me how much it was or asked if I wanted it. (I honestly would have gotten it online... but... I didn't want to make a scene.) Regardless, I feel a little taken!!! So...

If you don't have 100% faith in your vets office than you need to find a new one. They should not be charging you for meds without discussing it with you first and they definitely should know enough about the products they are prescribing to know if something has been discontinued or not!

Add all of that to the fact that they are quoting you a price for a surgery for something that might not even be a problem? I'd be searching for a new vet asap. We have a vet recommendation thread here... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldogs-health/442-veterinarian-recommendations.html

If you can't find someone close enough to visit often then check with the BCA or local rescue group, they will also have vet listings.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks everyone. It's just that one lady - I think I will simply request the man from now on. I was the one who asked for a quote, because I had no idea if that procedure was $100 or $1000. I've only had cats neutered/spade.

Regardless, I feel like I've been through half the vets in my area, and there are none on the recommended list that are even remotely close to me. I will keep looking!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.